+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Russian conversion IDA-71 mccr

RBW Member kenkokan is an unknown quantity at this point kenkokan's Avatar
    ida71mccr aka60ascr

kip8-O2 ida59 ida76 TP ida64

Russian conversion IDA-71 mccr

RBW Member apest2many is an unknown quantity at this point apest2many's Avatar
    Optima

AKA-60

Re: Russian conversion IDA-71 mccr

Looks good. Did you use an enamel based spray paint to do the case?

ida71mccr aka60ascr

Quote Originally Posted by apest2many  View Original Post
    Looks good. Did you use an enamel based spray paint to do the case?
    epoxy

Reads fine print (mostly) Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather's Avatar
    MEGALODON MK15.5

BMR500 IDA71 IDA64 RGUFM AKA60

Looks pretty, will breath a lot better if you put modern hoses and DSV on it. WOB will literally be cut in half. The mica discs that serve the function of mushroom valves, along with the very small (by today's standards) hose diameters are very restrictive.

Rig as you built it will need a lot of weight at top to be in trim. I found weights made from sections of bicycle inner tube, filled with lead shot, attached to inside of lid, did the job nicely. See pictures of hose adapters I made and weights.

I cannot tell if your counterlung is original- mine was orange. Original counterlungs have some internal failure points that can KILL you. It's very important that you read these threads:

http://www.rebreatherworld.com/home-...onnectors.html

http://www.rebreatherworld.com/home-...mebuilder.html

Dive safe,
    Ken
    Attached Images

ida71mccr aka60ascr

Quote Originally Posted by Skipbreather  View Original Post
    Looks pretty, will breath a lot better if you put modern hoses and DSV on it. WOB will literally be cut in half. The mica discs that serve the function of mushroom valves, along with the very small (by today's standards) hose diameters are very restrictive.

Rig as you built it will need a lot of weight at top to be in trim. I found weights made from sections of bicycle inner tube, filled with lead shot, attached to inside of lid, did the job nicely. See pictures of hose adapters I made and weights.

I cannot tell if your counterlung is original- mine was orange. Original counterlungs have some internal failure points that can KILL you. It's very important that you read these threads:
    I breathe perfectly with hoses and valve box IDA. These are the best hoses and the best valve boxes. The size of the holes in the IDA is larger than the size of your trachea. Therefore, it makes no sense to put hoses of a larger cross-section. They are already sufficient and redundant. If you think that Russian physiologists, doctors and engineers know less than American ones, then this is a delusion.
    Those who are "hard to breathe" suffer a panic under the water. It is an illusion of the severity of breathing from fear. The problem is not in the hoses or the valve box hole. Problem in the level of preparation.
    In addition, the hoses and valve box IDA is designed so that their balance in the water was ideal and did not require additional weight

Sorry for my English.
    Last edited by kenkokan; 19th November 2017 at 06:38.

RBW Member jeff h will become famous soon enough jeff h will become famous soon enough jeff h will become famous soon enough jeff h will become famous soon enough jeff h's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kenkokan  View Original Post
    . The size of the holes in the IDA is larger than the size of your trachea.
    I agree that the stock hose is okay depending what you are doing. However, comparing the diameter of the hose to your trachea is ridiculous. Resistance/work of breathing also depends on the length of hose. Take a 1-4" piece of garden hose and breathe through it, then compare that to breathing through a 50 feet (15.2 m) section of the same hose. Now add depth, increased flow, etc.

ida71mccr aka60ascr

Quote Originally Posted by jeff h  View Original Post
    I agree that the stock hose is okay depending what you are doing. However, comparing the diameter of the hose to your trachea is ridiculous. Resistance/work of breathing also depends on the length of hose. Take a 1-4" piece of garden hose and breathe through it, then compare that to breathing through a 50 feet (15.2 m) section of the same hose. Now add depth, increased flow, etc.
    The man spoke about the cross section, so I answered him about the cross section.

The IDA is long and the width of the hoses is calculated by people with excellent technical and best higher medical education. The IDA devices are designed in the same design bureau in which they design and develop space equipment, including. Do not worry about it. I am more afraid for the health of those people who change this wonderful breathing circuit.
    If you do not like hoses, a valve box or something else in the IDA, you can just do not dive on it. It's simple.
    Last edited by kenkokan; 19th November 2017 at 18:36.

Reads fine print (mostly) Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather's Avatar
    MEGALODON MK15.5

BMR500 IDA71 IDA64 RGUFM AKA60

Quote Originally Posted by kenkokan  View Original Post
    The man spoke about the cross section, so I answered him about the cross section.

The IDA is long and the width of the hoses is calculated by people with excellent technical and best higher medical education. The IDA devices are designed in the same design bureau in which they design and develop space equipment, including. Do not worry about it. I am more afraid for the health of those people who change this wonderful breathing circuit.
    If you do not like hoses, a valve box or something else in the IDA, you can just do not dive on it. It's simple.
    Actually, I spoke about WHY I thought the WOB improvement that I had **actually experienced** occurred.

I dove my 71 for over a year w/ original hoses and DSV. When I had the opportunity to upgrade both with parts borrowed from a different rig I'd just bought, I was curious as to how the WOB would change. In the sprit of experimentation, I machined the adapters pictured and attached the hoses and DSV from the new rig. I went diving. The WOB change was nothing short of amazing.

Please keep in mind that WOB experienced in an easy, shallow pool dive has zero relationship to the WOB experienced when swimming hard against a current at 150 m in dark, 5 degree C water, especially diving an IDA71 conversion with just one scrubber.

You rig looks new, or at least newly converted. Like I said, very nice. Have fun diving it but please be very careful when expanding its envelope. Carry sufficient bailout. Have it at the ready. If you eventually expand its use into deep, cold, challenging conditions you WILL eventually over breath the scrubber if using the rig in its current small bore hose, single scrubber configuration. That's when you will be faced with a CO2 hit. Please remember that the 'dark nark' will pass in a minute or two if you stop moving, keep calm, and let the loop catch up.

It is your right to dive your rig however you want. Feel free to relearn on your own what others have already survived. Please be careful and don't become a statistic.
    Last edited by Skipbreather; 19th November 2017 at 21:26.

ida71mccr aka60ascr

I really appreciate your concern and understand that you wish me well and all the best. But I want to draw your attention to the fact that all statistics are obtained on rebreathers with wide hoses produced in Western countries. If you know the example of drowning in the IDA because of the cross-section of the hoses or their length, then tell. I have been diving since 1983 and I dive on IDA-71, IDA-64, AKA-60, TP, IPSA, Ida-59, Inspiration, meg, dolfin and more But did not notice the difference in breathing. I have not heard of drowning cases due to the size of the hose. I know the military Soviet and modern Russian military statistics, but it also does not depend on the size of the breathing hose.

Also I want to note that IDA-71 is not designed for diving at 150 meters, as you wrote. The technical specification of IDA-71 is a 40 meter dive, and 20 meters for O2. In order that the IDA would work up to 60 meters, the scrubber must be insulated with a cover. For dives deeper than 60 meters, completely different devices are designed.
    Last edited by kenkokan; 20th November 2017 at 05:35.

+ Reply to Thread