+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Experience with NERD and Corrective Lenses?

RBW Member ECho is an unknown quantity at this point ECho's Avatar
    Meg

Experience with NERD and Corrective Lenses?

Hello All,

Does anyone out there have experience diving a NERD whilst using corrective lenses (gauge readers)? I'm considering going to a NERD, but am a bit concerned that on Sherawater's website, under NERD FAQ, they state, "Note that a mask with bifocal near vision correction may cause problems with the NERD." I've gotten to the point that I cannot clearly read the LCD display on my camera without some correction (+1.75)... If the gauge readers would create issues with the NERD display, that might lead to a rather expensive short term expriment! Any anecdotal feedback and/or wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, in adavnce,

Elliot

BTW, getting older sucks....

RBW Member zaske is an unknown quantity at this point zaske's Avatar

Re: Experience with NERD and Corrective Lenses?

No experience with contacts, but bifocals are a none issue

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

RBW Member tbone1004 is an unknown quantity at this point tbone1004's Avatar
    Greenville, South Carolina, United States

any local dealers near you that you can put a mask on and dunk your head in the sink to check? May want to post this on scubaboard and/or cave diver forum as a bunch of the cave divers are getting older and are using NERD's so I imagine some of them have cheaters in their mask as well

The Evolution of Diving diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob's Avatar
    Hybrid Meg

MCCR Dolphin, Evolution

I don't have a lot of experience with the NERD yet but my first dive with it I could not read the display when looking through my cheaters (1.5). It is perfectly clear after I took the one side out of the mask. I suppose it would all depend on how high you mount the NERD, I want mine as low as possible so the cheater had to go.

Rob

RBW Member sailor is on a distinguished road sailor is on a distinguished road sailor's Avatar
    TR300c hCCR, Ray mCCR

Dolphin, Inspiration Vision

Same here.
    Though I'm not used to the terms "cheater" or "gauge".
    I need near view correction reading lenses in order to have a clear view for a regular wrist computer.
    With these my new Nerd was useless.
    So I removed the near view correction lens from the right side of my mask for the Nerd and left it in on the left side for the Shearwater Controller.
    Now everything is pefect.
    If you want a Nerd go for this solution.

RBW Member tbone1004 is an unknown quantity at this point tbone1004's Avatar
    Greenville, South Carolina, United States

Quote Originally Posted by sailor  View Original Post
    Same here.
    Though I'm not used to the terms "cheater" or "gauge".
    I need near view correction reading lenses in order to have a clear view for a regular wrist computer.
    With these my new Nerd was useless.
    So I removed the near view correction lens from the right side of my mask for the Nerd and left it in on the left side for the Shearwater Controller.
    Now everything is pefect.
    If you want a Nerd go for this solution.
    cheaters are a slang term for reading glasses. "gauge readers" are a term for a small piece of magnifying glass put in the bottom of the mask lens in order to be able to read pressure gauges, computers, etc etc and work like a bifocal.
    example here.
    http://www.xsscuba.com/masks/gauge-r...wn-view-design

the nerd was specifically designed not to need gauge readers so you don't have to change the focus of your eye from what is in front of you which is why it apparently doesn't work with the cheater lenses in there

From their site
    "Thanks to the Micro LCD display and magnifying lens, the data appears as if displayed on a 32” TV screen 12’ away, with no need to focus."

RBW Member joe k is an unknown quantity at this point joe k's Avatar
    none

As above, my nice, expensive prescription mask useless with my NERD. Next I'll have lens only in other eye for camera, etc… HUD is so basic that unless your near vision is really poor led's still legible. Good luck!

+ Reply to Thread