+ Reply to Thread

Thread: condensation in new sorb?

condensation in new sorb?

Ok,
    This weekend I had a couple of tubs of new sofnalime sitting in the sun for about 20 mins. Not an especially hot day (for Australia) - probably about 20 degrees C?
    Anyway I noticed condensation inside the top of the containers (above the sorb level), which I assume was coming out of the sorb in the sun. Can someone reassure me this is normal? Being paranoid about water getting into the sorb under the waves has me questioning seeing water there before I even pack the canister.
    As I say sorb was new and in date by several years :)

RBW Member Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse's Avatar
    rEvoIII mini hCCR

RG-UMF,IDA 71,rEvo mCCR

Re: condensation in new sorb?

Im not going to tell you its safe to use. I dont get paid for that.

BUT sorb does have a % of moisture (13-15% or 3kgs/litres per 20kg tub). So I wouldnt think its anything strange for moisture to come out and condensate in the tub.

If you leave it sealed the moisture should reabsorb back into the sorb.

This is one of the reasons to keep the sorb sealed. So it does not dry out as well as it not reacting with CO2.

http://www.divelime.com/dldownloads/...ving_grade.pdf

http://www.molecularproducts.com/wp-...L-S-TDS-v9.pdf
    Last edited by Packhorse; 4th April 2017 at 09:09.

RBW Member broncobowsher is on a distinguished road broncobowsher is on a distinguished road broncobowsher's Avatar
    TBD

Temperature gradient inside a sealed container with moisture in it does strange things. You don't loose the water, but it will move around. Take a loaf of bread sealed in a plastic bag as set it on top of a refrigerator. Not in it, on top. In a couple days check the bread. The top will be dryer and the bottom will be approaching soggy. By leaving the tubs in the sun you are getting the same thermal gradient and the resulting moisture shift. In your case you are seeing condensation.

I would move them out of the sun, shake them a little, and call it good. Remember to keep out of the sun in the future. Call it a lesson learned and go on with life. But that is what I would do, you can do as you like.

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg

There is a minimum water content in sorb in order for it to work. As others have said, don't let it dry out and if you get condensation in part of the keg perhaps flip it over once before storing in a room temperature space.

RBW Member sailor is on a distinguished road sailor is on a distinguished road sailor's Avatar
    TR300c hCCR, Ray mCCR

Dolphin, Inspiration Vision

All correct.
    Dried out sorb will not absorb CO2 so there need to be moisture in it.
    Flooding the sorb is a complete different story. This will cause a caustic liquid.
    I don't think there's an issue with your sorb as long as the can is kept sealed.
    Not a good idea to leave sorb in bright sunlight.
    Last edited by sailor; 5th April 2017 at 10:47.

+ Reply to Thread