+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NERD Question

The Evolution of Diving diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob's Avatar
    Hybrid Meg

MCCR Dolphin, Evolution

NERD Question

Ok so I have got a NERD and want to know what would be the best option to hook it up to me Meg. I currently have a Hybird Meg 2.7 with a hard wired Predator tied in, as I see it I have a few options....

1. Add the NERD to the accessories port in the head and away we go. This seems like a bit of over kill as I would have a hard wired Predator, factory HUD, NERD and primary handset.

2. Remove the Predator and tie the NERD into the same port on the head. This will give me a monitored PPO2 and deco computer (which I like), a factory HUD, NERD and primary handset. It still may be a bit busy on the BOV and do I really need a NERD and a HUD??

3. Remove the factory HUD and replace with the NERD. This will give me two monitored PPO2/deco computers and a primary handset. This cleans up the BOV by only having one device mounted on it but still may be a bit overkill with two monitored computers.

4. Remove the hard wired Predator and replace with the NERD and neatly tuck the HUD away and keep it in case something fails. This will give me a monitored computer/HUD all in one and a primary handset (I have a standalone computer I use as backup).

i have only done two dives with the NERD (only one where I could see it as the mounting needed adjustments) and from the one good dive I can see that I will like it once I get used to not looking at my arm so much. It also means I can take my magnifying cheaters out of my mask on the one side as well. Any advise would be nice, thanks in advance.

Rob

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

Re: NERD Question

I would replace the HUD and the secondary shearwater. You still have primary PO2 monitoring on your APECS handset.
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

The Evolution of Diving diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob's Avatar
    Hybrid Meg

MCCR Dolphin, Evolution

Quote Originally Posted by wedivebc  View Original Post
    I would replace the HUD and the secondary shearwater. You still have primary PO2 monitoring on your APECS handset.
    Thanks Dave that makes sense and will clean up some of the cables as well.

RBW Member goodlifedivers is an unknown quantity at this point goodlifedivers's Avatar
    None

NERD Question

But then if you bailout you will have to keep pulling the loop up or down to check deco wouldn't you?

I think I would have the NERD replace the HUD but keep the hard wired shearwater as a backup deco computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hybrid Meg

MCCR Dolphin, Evolution

Quote Originally Posted by goodlifedivers  View Original Post
    But then if you bailout you will have to keep pulling the loop up or down to check deco wouldn't you?

I think I would have the NERD replace the HUD but keep the hard wired shearwater as a backup deco computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If I were to BO I use a BOV until my first gas change and as well I will have a standalone Petral as backup which I can use for BO.

Reads fine print (mostly) Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather's Avatar
    MEGALODON MK15.5

BMR500 IDA71 IDA64 RGUFM AKA60

Another option:

-Tuck away the HUD as spare against a pre dive failure in the field.
    -Keep all 3 computers.
    -Run the stand alone and NERD on the same GF.
    -Run the hard wired Shearwater on the same deep GF, but the shallow GF at a 95 or 99. Clip off the hard wired.

Reasoning: Stand alone gives sanity check for NERD output. If something goes sideways- even during deco- and you need to exit water asap, your hard wired is a path to the surface that has at least some basis in reality VS pulling something out of your arse in a panic when your thinking is susceptible to being less than clear. The deep GFs being equal ensures, if you go into asap mode during deco, that next stop is above you.

Yes, various revisions of software might have some similar function somewhere in their menu(s). This particular methodology, however, has numbers cooking and ready to go w/ ZERO need to find buttons and remember where something is in a menu structure.

If you're like many of us who have bodies w/ a fair number of miles on the odometer, top GF of 99 has a real chance of some issues at the surface, but as the old saying goes: "Bent we can fix. Dead, not so much."

Dive safe,
    Ken

+ Reply to Thread