+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Upgrading fins - Apeks rk3 or rk3hd

RBW Member Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol's Avatar

Upgrading fins - Apeks rk3 or rk3hd

Finally looking at changing my old scuba pro twin jet fins for a new pair.

Read good reviews on the new 'award winning' apeks rk3 fins. I am wondering whether anyone has tried the 2 variants i.e. The rk3s and the RK3 HDs and is able to say what they preferred.

I dive a dry suit o3, with an inspiration classic with front mounted lungs and am wondering which is likely to work best from a performance and trim perspective as I know the rk3 hds are heavier and stiffer.

Any input from anyone who has tried either type or ideally both appreciated..

RBW Member cb1 is an unknown quantity at this point cb1's Avatar
    rEvo iii

Re: Upgrading fins - Apeks rk3 or rk3hd

Just changed to the standard rk3 from jetfins. I use an O3 suit with a rEvo. I could detect a difference from a trim perspective; Slightly better. Nothing negative to report yet. I might know more at the end of the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RBW Member Doomanic is an unknown quantity at this point Doomanic's Avatar
    FrankenClassic (Done. Mostly)

I tried RK3 fins a year or so ago, before the HDs came out, and didn't like them. Not stiff enough and too light, but I'm comparing them to Hollis F1s. Propulsion definitely suffered as a consequence.

Having said that, anything has to be better than split fins...

RBW Member JohnnyC is an unknown quantity at this point JohnnyC's Avatar

RK3's are too floppy. Haven't tried the HD's.

RBW Member Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol's Avatar

Just bought a pair of Apeks RK3 HD fins after much pondering.

The difference between the standard and the HDs is very clear. They are heavier and much the same weight as scuba pro jet fins.

Fit wise I have heavy duty O3 boots size 9 and found the large size the perfect fit.

I gave them a test dive off my kayak - putting them on was great - due to the channels in the boot they go on very easily and the spring and the rubber grab strap make for very easy donning and removing.

In use - lots of control and good power. Very happy with them overall. Also slightly more compact than my previous scuba pro twin jets and provide much better manouverability as predicted.

Nice to get a product that matches/exceeds expectation.

(Be good to try them next when I am not dragging a kayak behind me and also not using a piece of rope to side sling my dive cylinder as I had forgotten my backpack......necessity being the mother of invention and all that...)

RBW Member decostanza is an unknown quantity at this point decostanza's Avatar
    rEvoIII Ti

I have the RK3 fins and find they just don't work for me...I have issues (too floopy) even with no more than a single al80 the very rare times I dive OC. Never tried them with my Revo and never will...so I went back to my jets. RK3's are sitting on the shelf waiting to be broomed on ebay. The HD version is slightly heavier and more stiff so in theory, should work much better.

RBW Member cb1 is an unknown quantity at this point cb1's Avatar
    rEvo iii

Quote Originally Posted by decostanza  View Original Post
    I have the RK3 fins and find they just don't work for me...I have issues (too floopy) even with no more than a single al80 the very rare times I dive OC. Never tried them with my Revo and never will...so I went back to my jets. RK3's are sitting on the shelf waiting to be broomed on ebay. The HD version is slightly heavier and more stiff so in theory, should work much better.
    Just back from three days diving with a rEvo, 2 ali 80's and an O Three drysuit, the RK3's were fine. At depth I'm not looking to work too much while finning so I am happy with the floppyness factor in lieu of them being very light in the water.

Cathal

RBW Member Capt Morgan is an unknown quantity at this point Capt Morgan's Avatar
    KISS Classic

I've been thinking of changing my Turtle fins for something a little lighter,
    the Turtles have great propulsion but are just to heavy with my CCR making
    it very difficult to get in trim. Has anyone ever swapped from Turtles to Apeks
    rk3's or rk3hd's and what did you think?

RBW Member Se7en_diver is an unknown quantity at this point Se7en_diver's Avatar
    Poseidon Se7en

I know one other diver trade in his Apeks for being too floppy. Check out the OMS slipstreams. Power of Jetfins in a very light, monoprene material. I love mine.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread