+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CCR photo dives in Hawaii (O'ahu)

RBW Member Nicool is on a distinguished road Nicool is on a distinguished road Nicool's Avatar
    rEvo III micro FT RMS

Poseidon Discovery Mark VI

CCR photo dives in Hawaii (O'ahu)

It's one of these business trips which looks too good to be true...
    But who knows, i might have to travel to Hawaii (O'ahu) beginning of April for work and hopefully i can stay over for a weekend and dive there.

I am considering bringing my rEvo + DSLR housing, looking to rent tanks and buy sorb locally.

To be clear i am one of these guys who dive rebreathers for wildlife photography purposes, so not looking at going deep (i am MOD1 anyways) but I am after:
    -spending long time underwater (happy to do 2-3 hours dives if possible), 4+ hours a day
    -photographying large fauna (rays, sharks, turtles...) as i don't have these at home (i do have plancton :))

I am perfectly happy if this can be achieved from the shore, but happy to boat-dive too.

So i was hoping some of you could share good advice on where to go and/or some reputable dive operators to contact?

thanks a million!
    Nicolas

RBW Member whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot?'s Avatar
    MK15.5, MK25

Re: CCR photo dives in Hawaii (O'ahu)

I've always liked the West End, Makaha Caverns, Land of Oz etc. Fantasy Reef/the Barge on the south end was neat as well a sea cave below the crater on portlock wall (forgot the name of it but it was a drift dive). The Corsair was a total waste of time, a tourist dive with nothing but sand all around. Here's a link to some sites:

http://www.hawaiiscubadiving.com/oahu/dive-sites.html

http://shorediving.com/Earth/Hawaii/index.htm

You may want to look into boat operations that support RB diving. If you are on a boat with OC divers your BT will be limited to theirs and probably not worth the hassle of lugging your gear to HI. OC diving is great there, and less gear intensive. Enjoy the Aloha, it's a wonderful place.

RBW Member Nicool is on a distinguished road Nicool is on a distinguished road Nicool's Avatar
    rEvo III micro FT RMS

Quote Originally Posted by whynot?  View Original Post
    I've always liked the West End, Makaha Caverns, Land of Oz etc. Fantasy Reef/the Barge on the south end was neat as well a sea cave below the crater on portlock wall (forgot the name of it but it was a drift dive). The Corsair was a total waste of time, a tourist dive with nothing but sand all around. Here's a link to some sites:

http://www.hawaiiscubadiving.com/oahu/dive-sites.html

http://shorediving.com/Earth/Hawaii/index.htm

You may want to look into boat operations that support RB diving. If you are on a boat with OC divers your BT will be limited to theirs and probably not worth the hassle of lugging your gear to HI. OC diving is great there, and less gear intensive. Enjoy the Aloha, it's a wonderful place.
    Hi whynot,
    Thanks, i need to research what the rbfriendly operators can propose.
    In the meantime, if anyone has some names to recommend or any other advice i'd be very interested, especially about where to ho for large fauna.

Cheers
    Nicolas

New Member Heliox is an unknown quantity at this point Heliox's Avatar
    CCR Liberty

Prism Topaz, Inspo, P2

Quote Originally Posted by Nicool  View Original Post
    Hi whynot,
    Thanks, i need to research what the rbfriendly operators can propose.
    In the meantime, if anyone has some names to recommend or any other advice i'd be very interested, especially about where to ho for large fauna.

Cheers
    Nicolas
    Aloha Nicolas,
    There are quite a few ccr divers with mod 1 certs here on O'ahu. Let us know which dates you plan on diving and I'm sure we can charter a ccr boat. Cylinders and sorb, no prob.
    -Tom

RBW Member mikecjones is an unknown quantity at this point mikecjones's Avatar
    Se7en

Nicolas,
    In the interest of being up front, I teach CCR at Hawaii Scuba University. We work out of Honolulu Scuba Company. Honolulu Scuba Company has charters dedicated to rebreather divers, rental units, tanks, sorb, O2, a blending station and a wide range of gear.
    I will be teaching a TEC60 class on the Poseidon Se7en in April.

Mahalo,
    Mike

rEvo III micro FT RMS

Hi Tom and Mike!
    Thanks for your replies, i'll contact you via email in case my trip gets confirmed, which i should know in a few days time.

Cheers
    Nicolas

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

rEvo III micro FT RMS

Quote Originally Posted by mikecjones  View Original Post
    Nicolas,
    In the interest of being up front, I teach CCR at Hawaii Scuba University. We work out of Honolulu Scuba Company. Honolulu Scuba Company has charters dedicated to rebreather divers, rental units, tanks, sorb, O2, a blending station and a wide range of gear.
    I will be teaching a TEC60 class on the Poseidon Se7en in April.

Mahalo,
    Mike
    Thanks again Mike for all your help in getting my rebreather dives organized at the last minute. Without you i would probably have been diving OC, and wouldn't have had the same experience!
    My only regret is not having been available to join you guys on night dives, maybe next time!

Anyways, i've wrote a short trip report for those considering diving in Oahu, Hawaii:
    http://www.rebreatherworld.com/showt...704#post485704

cheers
    Nicolas

+ Reply to Thread