+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Turtle effect

RBW Member Tibo is an unknown quantity at this point Tibo's Avatar
    HH

Turtle effect

Hi,
    Started diving ccr last year, hammerhead, years of experience with doubles, sidemount and what not, after many hours of frustrating trim and buoyancy practice, I can say I'm now alright in staying flat anywhere in the water column. But, I'm experiencing a tendency to roll as soon as I bank a little on either side. I mean roll to a very uncomfortable almost on my back position. Never felt that in any other OC rig, so I'm ready to further my experiments with different backplate, wing style, weight distribution...but before I go on with all that,would like to know has anyone experienced such a thing?

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

Re: Turtle effect

My rEvo would turtle me all the time, but I've had no problem like that with any other rebreather. The only way I could avoid it was to move weight forward into pockets on my front. Getting the rebreather as close to your back as possible is necessary.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    Just remember that listening to an idiot such as myself may very well get your arse dead.

King of the Geeks
    heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude's Avatar
    HAMMERHEAD!

Quote Originally Posted by Tibo  View Original Post
    Hi,
    Started diving ccr last year, hammerhead, years of experience with doubles, sidemount and what not, after many hours of frustrating trim and buoyancy practice, I can say I'm now alright in staying flat anywhere in the water column. But, I'm experiencing a tendency to roll as soon as I bank a little on either side. I mean roll to a very uncomfortable almost on my back position. Never felt that in any other OC rig, so I'm ready to further my experiments with different backplate, wing style, weight distribution...but before I go on with all that,would like to know has anyone experienced such a thing?
    You may also want to experiment with minimum loop volume. A lot of new CCR divers maintain too much gas in their counterlungs, which could contribute to some of the excess roll. Golem Gear makes Back Mounted Counterlungs, which as you get more along in your CCR diving you may want to try.

I will also say that a lot of this comes with practice. I used to do barrel rolls in my Mark 16 to develop skills for swimming face-up to get into cracks to film critters - it took a while to perfect the technique due to the back mounted counterlung an inherent buoyancy of the Mark 16 rig.

Floating inverted was a skill I learned the first time I dove a drysuit without gators... lol...

Kevin Juergensen
    Juergensen Marine, Inc.

RBW Member Tibo is an unknown quantity at this point Tibo's Avatar
    HH

Thank you for answering,
    As for minimum loop volume, (I use BMCL) I understand it is an important skill to master, and of course, will keep working at nailing it...
    As for barreling I believe the weight distribution and its distance from body are the key points. I use a 1/4" backplate, always have, but it's seem the whole rig is kept quite far from it because of STA, manifolds and space destined to screw/unscrew regs. (A fist width between backplate and tanks).If I could "gather" the tanks closer...