+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading my inspiration classic options

RBW Member Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol's Avatar

Upgrading my inspiration classic options

I am looking at the following options:-

1. Add shearwater classic HUD plus stand alone petrel2/perdix computer

Pros- read all 3 cells - catches attention better than nerd- separate computer for open circuit- cost around 1300

2. Add a shearwater nerd hard wired

Head up deco - costs circa £1600 with all bits

3. Buy an inspo vision upgrade for my classic -

Pros - standard ap kit - temp stick - integrated deco and standard led HUD
    Cost - £2500 new -

I am after people's experiences of having used each of real pros and cons of each. (In reality I think my preferred option would be to buy a jjccr but funds do not currently allow this option.

RBW Member moose_grunt is an unknown quantity at this point moose_grunt's Avatar

Re: Upgrading my inspiration classic options

You should also look at the AV1 controller upgrade. Captain Starfish should be along shortly to describe it in detail, but it looks good enough that I've considered picking up a knackered classic to upgrade just because..

Jim

Helium is addictive! Blomman has a spectacular aura about Blomman has a spectacular aura about Blomman has a spectacular aura about Blomman has a spectacular aura about Blomman has a spectacular aura about Blomman's Avatar

* Sell your unit and look for a used Vision-machine.

* Look for a Deep Pursuit. Best upgrade you can buy for a classic.

* AV1 electronics.

* A blank head and install a Shearwater computer + HUD + leaky valve and go mCCR.

RBW Member Mike_Eitel is an unknown quantity at this point Mike_Eitel's Avatar
    MeCCRxWi

MeRAY, MeTravox,MeCCRV"x,Inspi

I modified two classic to AV1.
    Soon nr 3 will follow.

Verry nice combination of proofen mechanics with up to date electronic control.

P.S.
    Cause of AV1 flexibility I use 2 AV1 to control 4 different ccr. Two in eccr two in mccr mode.

RBW Member deepdave is an unknown quantity at this point deepdave's Avatar
    Inspo Vision

Quote Originally Posted by Blomman  View Original Post
    * Sell your unit and look for a used Vision-machine.
    Yep, probably the most cost effective option

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Ohai!

AV1 costs about 1000 euro shipped last I checked.

- Integrated dive computer (Buhlmann)
    - Integrated HUD
    - On the fly bailout gas monitor (the only computer on the market I've seen that has this)
    - Compass
    - Temp stick for another 200 euro I think.
    - Has main and backup battery in the handset. Standard 18650 Li Ion main battery, integrated flat pack Li Ion backup which doesn't get touched unless the main goes flat.
    - Isn't a Classic handset (advantage in itself).
    - No more stupid 1980s camera batteries that seem like they cost more than the cells these days.
    - Great support from the company

Downsides are limited and manageable:
    - No redundancy. If it fails, you bail out. Or buy a Shearwater Classic / N@90 / Dream / AV-UWT HUD and fly the thing manually if you lose the handset. On deco dives, use whatever standalone computer you have now as the backup.
    - The 950 + 50 euro shipping price is for the handset, HUD and cables. You have to wire it up yourself. You also need to acquire appropriate blanking plugs which are drilled and tapped to suit the AV-UWT glands to replace the APD handset cable glands in the head. Or stump up a few hundred more euro and get an entire replacement head.
    - The effort of fighting off young attractive women who are drawn to the awesomeness of this setup does tend to wear you down after a while.

I, like most these days, bought my Classic because I'm careful with my playtime money and they are ridiculously cheap for what you get. In hindsight, what I've paid to upgrade mine with new lungs, AV1, OCB and a couple other bits and pieces would have paid for a 2ndhand vision. But then I look at mates who've gone down that road who forever seem to be sending their whole head back to the UK because AP electronics have sh1t the tin again, and I'm glad I took the path I did. I think the functionality of the AV1 plus a HUD (mine's the Shearwater classic) far exceeds that of the AP electronics, I suspect it's more reliable, and if it does go wrong you can send the whole head or just the computer - something that appeals enormously to me when shipping from Australia costs so much.
    Last edited by Captain Starfish; 18th March 2017 at 22:08.

Helium is addictive! Blomman has a spectacular aura about Blomman has a spectacular aura about Blomman has a spectacular aura about Blomman has a spectacular aura about Blomman has a spectacular aura about Blomman's Avatar

Of curiosity I had a look what the AV1 replacement head costs:

* EUR 1700 for a blank head with controller and solenoid.
    * EUR 2050 for a blank head with controller, solenoid and HUD-S.
    * EUR 2150 for a blank head with controller, solenoid and HUD-A.

If you go for a shopping spree at N@90 you will get a blank head, HUD, Petrel2 Fischer, cell holder and leaky valve adapter for ~£2170. Leaky valve no included. If you ask them perhaps you can even get the computer hardwired to the head
    Last edited by Blomman; 19th March 2017 at 11:28.

RBW Member Mike_Eitel is an unknown quantity at this point Mike_Eitel's Avatar
    MeCCRxWi

MeRAY, MeTravox,MeCCRV"x,Inspi

Where did you get these prices?

And modifying existing inspi means you have the head and the solenoid already. You just need some pg's and a bit of time.
    Last edited by Mike_Eitel; 19th March 2017 at 21:32.

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Yeah, buying their head is an expensive proposition if you have the means to modify your own.

It does come with the advantage of leaving you with a complete spare head for taking on any trips, just in case. I achieved the same result by purchasing a second head for the classic so now I have the AV1 and a proper classic one.

Good to have the spare, and it's a lot easier to sell the unit later with the original electronics because it's such a "cheap my first rebreather" a big chunk of your market is people who need original spec to do their mod 1.

RBW Member Doomanic is an unknown quantity at this point Doomanic's Avatar
    FrankenClassic (Done. Mostly)

Bloman, your prices are a little out. I paid €1525 for my complete head with HUD a few weeks ago. Worth every penny IMHO.
    Unlike Simon, I don't trust my soldering to level that he does and I don't have access to machine tools to make up the myriad small parts that are inevitably required.
    The complete head is an awesome piece of kit, looks fantastic, fits perfectly and works really well.
    Ignoring all the bling I've bought, my Classic stands me around £2k inc the AV1 head. I think that's pretty good value.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast