+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: computer choice

RBW Member evandroairton is an unknown quantity at this point evandroairton's Avatar
    inspo classic AV1

computer choice

Hi fellows

I am studying options for a backup ccr computer. I dive an av1 inspiration.
    Should I buy a stand alone (the Nitek Q has a real good value), or a cell reading capable unit?
    although the stand alone is good priced, I wander about secondary reading.
    whats your opinions?
    regards
    Last edited by evandroairton; 4th March 2017 at 21:18.

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Re: computer choice

You will probably get about 5 different answers to this as a lot of it is merely personal preference.

I pretty much insist on my secondary being wired into the cells. This way the deco information is always accurate even if I fail to keep my po2 steady during the dive. It also means that you can still do dives that do not require redundancy (no deco) if on a vacation and you have a failure, just make sure to still carry the required bailout though.
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

RBW Member sailor is on a distinguished road sailor is on a distinguished road sailor's Avatar
    TR300c hCCR, Ray mCCR

Dolphin, Inspiration Vision

I also opt for cell integration for the backup computer for the mentioned reasons.

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

I dove for years with a stand alone, my buddy's integrated.

They were always within 2 minutes of each other.

RBW Member turtle dude is an unknown quantity at this point turtle dude's Avatar
    Inspo classic hacked about

Hi,
    I'm assuming your AV1 is the eccr?
    Why not get there 3 cell monitoring version too, at least you'll know where all the relevant data is when the poo hits the fan!
    Or could plumb in there HUD (or a Nerd if you have cash overflowing out of your pockets)
    Regards
    Baz

Hammermeg, Copis2, Kiss divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe's Avatar
    Meg 2.7, Hammermeg, copis meg

Kiss Sport, Draeger dolphin

From personal experience I have been diving for several years (9) with both integrated deco monitoring and standalone backup. I found that the difference was never much greater than a couple of minutes apart on deco, the standalone would require the greater due to its being set .1 ppo lower than the primary set point. Having a backup with cell monitoring has its advantages but having an extra cell is just one more source of possible error (cell health).p
    I presently dive a MEG with a predator wired in as secondary and use a petrel as a standalone, I set my petrel on the same set point as the primary and have nearly identical deco obligation.
    So as they say its your choice I just wanted to give you my experience.

Gabe

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

The Nitek Q4 is cheap, I dunno if I'd call it good value.

There are some seriously retarded design decisions that have gone into the software on board and the response to any suggestion for improvement is basically "We're too scared of litigation so we deliberately make it suck as bad as this to be safe".

Two dives in a day? It counts the interval between as if you were still on the loop, just in case you were having an interval in a cave that didn't have breathable air in it. Because so many of us do that.

Ascent rate indicator? No, just an alarm when you blow it. But we'll use an entire bar graph to display your CNS O2 instead of just telling me what the number is.

The litany goes on. If I could still read the display (yeah, I should get lenses in my mask but I'm fighting that off) on my VR3 I'd still be diving that as backup and would light a fire under the damned Q4.

Anyway. More generally. I wouldn't dive my AV1 Inspo without a backup cell monitor. Using an old Shearwater HUD at the moment and working on a replacement as a longer term project. But I don't see any value in having a wired computer, either - I'd probably run a backup PPO2 monitor and standalone computer, be it a plain AV1 or a perdix or a whatever thing that ran buhlmann ZHL-16C with gradient factors.

RBW Member evandroairton is an unknown quantity at this point evandroairton's Avatar
    inspo classic AV1

thanks for the inputs till now

All IMVHO obviously... Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field's Avatar
    NVMCCR Inspiration

Classic KISS, Sport KISS

Timer and Cut tables, backup just something else to break (expensively)... Fingers X'd but 17yrs of CCR diving and primary has failed once (on the deck, pre-dive, battery had run out)

Maybe if I was going deep cave or some looney sh*t but regular recreational depths (<70mtrs glass ceiling only) I wouldn't bother with the hassle frankly.

RBW Member Mike_Eitel is an unknown quantity at this point Mike_Eitel's Avatar
    MeCCRxWi

MeRAY, MeTravox,MeCCRV"x,Inspi

Me diving with several AV1.

Keep it simple.
    Have second computer that can calculate fixpoint O2.
    Have independent simple o2 measure if you do not trust your 3 sensors = 1 sensor plus.
    In case of total failure, i never hat it with av1 but hs explorer, you see ppo2, and finish your dive with extra decotime / decostops according your guts feeling and freezing time capability. + 3 minutes ;-()
    m5c Mike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast