+ Reply to Thread

Thread: checking O2 pressure?

checking O2 pressure?

Ok. I have a standard DIN SCUBA tank pressure tester used for air and Nitrox OC tanks.
    Its been well looked after but never O2 cleaned.
    I'm pondering whether its ok to use to check the cylinder pressure on my RB O2 - which I occasionally need to do without all the hassle of connecting and firing up my Poseidon RB -running through all the startup just to find whats left in a cylinder.

TBH I wouldn't even know how to O2 clean one of those pressure testers anyway.
    Whats the thoughts. Do people us those standard test gauges? Do you bother to O2 clean them?
    Cheers

RBW Member michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch's Avatar
    SF2, IDA76, Flex

AH1

Re: checking O2 pressure?

Benn partial Pressure mixing since 1994, with the exception of 1 year where I used O2 Compatible gease, have never used anything O2 compatible for lubrication. Now 23 years and many thousand O2 fills sometimes to 300Bar later, I can say that I've never had an O2 fire.

Ny Golden rule is:
    The speed of the O2 through hoses and especially around corners is very important, if you keep it slow (below 10-15 meters per second) you will probably never have a problem. If the O2 has to move fast, work only outdoors on a concrete pad and buy your clothing from airport fire department suppliers

Michael

RBW Member moose_grunt is an unknown quantity at this point moose_grunt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by michael-fisch  View Original Post
    Benn partial Pressure mixing since 1994, with the exception of 1 year where I used O2 Compatible gease, have never used anything O2 compatible for lubrication. Now 23 years and many thousand O2 fills sometimes to 300Bar later, I can say that I've never had an O2 fire.

Ny Golden rule is:
    The speed of the O2 through hoses and especially around corners is very important, if you keep it slow (below 10-15 meters per second) you will probably never have a problem. If the O2 has to move fast, work only outdoors on a concrete pad and buy your clothing from airport fire department suppliers

Michael
    Possibly a stupid question, but how do you determine 10-15 m/s? Can't wrap my head around how to figure that out with only a pressure gauge at the end of the whip.

OP: for what it's worth, I use a regular ol' pressure checker. Just open the valve slowly, but you should be doing that anyways with o2.

Jim

RBW Member bl6394 is an unknown quantity at this point bl6394's Avatar
    APD Evolution

Quote Originally Posted by scubaal01  View Original Post
    Ok. I have a standard DIN SCUBA tank pressure tester used for air and Nitrox OC tanks.
    Its been well looked after but never O2 cleaned.
    I'm pondering whether its ok to use to check the cylinder pressure on my RB O2 - which I occasionally need to do without all the hassle of connecting and firing up my Poseidon RB -running through all the startup just to find whats left in a cylinder.

TBH I wouldn't even know how to O2 clean one of those pressure testers anyway.
    Whats the thoughts. Do people us those standard test gauges? Do you bother to O2 clean them?
    Cheers
    You're not going to be able to effectively O2 clean a bourdon tube pressure gauge. No way to circulate cleaning fluid in a coiled tube sealed at one end - much less rinse / dry / or inspect. Just dedicate a pressure tester for blending / Hi O2. I use digital, standard SPG, or welding O2 pressure gauges - as is convenient.

To moderate the speed that gas flows - keep your flow rate such that your fills are < 60 psi a minute. Minimize the sharp bends (90's) in your fill whip fittings and tubing - particularly close to the valves.

Bjorn

RBW Member Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse's Avatar
    rEvoIII mini hCCR

RG-UMF,IDA 71,rEvo mCCR

<60psi (4bar) means 50 minutes for a 200 bar fill.

How many really take that long to fill their o2?

RBW Member bl6394 is an unknown quantity at this point bl6394's Avatar
    APD Evolution

Quote Originally Posted by Packhorse  View Original Post
    <60psi (4bar) means 50 minutes for a 200 bar fill.

How many really take that long to fill their o2?
    I do when able - transfilling or boosting into larger cylinders. I'm filling customer's bottles (which in spite of any VIS stickers may not be O2 clean any more) with my own personal equipment and I'm in the basement of my own house. If I can't control the cleanliness of the cylinder - at least I can control the fill rate / heat.

When boosting into smaller rebreather bottles - it unavoidably goes faster. And no - I don't like the heat generated when that happens.

If I was doing this at a shop, with their equipment, and a sturdy containment system - I would follow the shop rules. Whatever they may be.

B.

RBW Member michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch's Avatar
    SF2, IDA76, Flex

AH1

Quote Originally Posted by michael-fisch  View Original Post

Ny Golden rule is:

Michael

10 to 15 meters per second boils down to holding the fill hose in your hand, if you can feel gas flowing through the hose you are going pretty fast. I fill slower but don't have a problem going from 100 Bar to 200 bar inside of a minute (you are only doubling the gas volume in the tank). where it gets tricky is going from empty to 20 bar inside of 2 minutes.

Michael

RBW Member udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn's Avatar
    prism,larv/tubx,leba54,dolphin

mk15,lar vII, ray

I actually have a dry gauge for O2 its used for the dreager lar v bottles its pretty rare and is only for o2

+ Reply to Thread