+ Reply to Thread

Thread: To BOV or not to BOV?

RBW Member Nubium is an unknown quantity at this point Nubium's Avatar
    Liberty

Dolphin,Megalodon,rEvo

To BOV or not to BOV?

Hi All,
    I know this question has been asked many times, but i want to ask a new question that is linked to it.

Out of those people that I have had a serious CO2 hit, who does not use a BOV and why not?

Thanks
    Doug

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Re: To BOV or not to BOV?

I took a serious hit for CO2 retention in my cave class. I was fortunate enough to be able to time my regulator swap with my breathing and only inhale a small amount of water. If I had waited much longer I probably would not be here to type this reply.

I learned my lesson and pay strict attention to my breathing rate at all times now. Much more so than I know my PO2 at all times. I do not use a BOV and keep my BO reg bungeed around my neck. I dive a lot of hypoxic mixes (almost exclusively) and firmly believe that a BOV should be plumbed into a large supply of breatheable gas regardless of what depth you are at. This is not possible without some form of gas switching to the BOV and that adds the possibly of making a mistake and breathing the wrong gas at depth or hypoxic at the surface.

I do not want the added complexity of gas switching my BOV and rely on my bungeed regulator instead.

Having just used a BOV on my Defender for the last 10 months, I have also found it to hinder my downward visibility and it creates much more drag when scootering. This one was plumbed into onboard dil and was intended for immediate use while deploying OC BO from my sidemounted tank. This approach is acceptable (and worked extremely well) as long as the onboard gas is not hypoxic.
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

RBW Member Nubium is an unknown quantity at this point Nubium's Avatar
    Liberty

Dolphin,Megalodon,rEvo

Thanks for answering. A few questions .

You wrote

"I do not want the added complexity of gas switching my BOV and rely on my bungeed regulator instead."

So you have one reg round your neck, what is the difference with it being round you neck or on a BOV attached to a off board Bailout tank? The reg round your neck, what mix is it attached too?

Thanks.

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

It creates an additional connection point. Now It is not so clean to drop the tank or hand off to a diver in need. My necklace is to deep BO and is almost never lower than 15/55. Even if it were 10/50 I could drop to 20' easily without breathing at all til it was good and similar for an ascent without breathing. I would also have a shallow BO but the magic number would remain 20'.
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

RBW Member AdamG is an unknown quantity at this point AdamG's Avatar

Imo a bov is critical. Too many nightmare stories of people having co2 issues and barely being able to switch.

My bov is always connected to deep bailout and if ts hypoxic I just accept that I can't breath it shallower than 20ft (if 12%) and get on with my life the same way I would if it was an OC dive.

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

A necklaced reg interfered with my downward visibility and head movement way more than my BOV ever has. The plumbing issue with a BOV has always spurred a lot of spirited discussion. But as long as it is plumbed correctly, there is simply no faster way to get a breathable gas supply in an emergency than switching a BOV. Period.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    Just remember that listening to an idiot such as myself may very well get your arse dead.

rEvo Shearwater tony13 has a spectacular aura about tony13 has a spectacular aura about tony13 has a spectacular aura about tony13 has a spectacular aura about tony13 has a spectacular aura about tony13's Avatar
    rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by AdamG  View Original Post
    Imo a bov is critical. Too many nightmare stories of people having co2 issues and barely being able to switch.

My bov is always connected to deep bailout and if ts hypoxic I just accept that I can't breath it shallower than 20ft (if 12%) and get on with my life the same way I would if it was an OC dive.
    +1. My thoughts exactly.

RBW Member PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG's Avatar
    Meg

Fenzy PO68 Dolphin

I dove my rig initially with a DSV. After a little over a 100 hrs I used a BOV for about 150 hrs. I have switched back to a DSV now for a couple of years.

I found the BOV fine as long as I was running normoxic BO. I was never happy having gas I should not breathe hooked to it. I put a fair bit of effort into various systems for plumbing the BOV. Plugging and unplugging a qc6 no matter how I oriented it never got easy. I found I was as likely as not to have no gas hooked to it in the critical time near the surface.

Scootering is more pleasant with a DSV. I don't notice the necklaced reg and turning my head is easier. I use a gag strap with either.

I am convinced the DSV breaths better. Yes I am not a machine and I am not supposed to be able to tell the difference...

Maintaining the rig is much easier. My BOV was a Shrimp and I loved the quick disconnect feature at the BOV as it allowed easy nspection of the flapper valves and easy service and cleaning. But I spent a fair bit of time fussing with it. Now the rig is a very simple device with cleaning being the main service chore. BO regs are maintained and deployed as needed. If a BO reg is less than perfect, I just grab another.

There are far fewer potential failure points and true redundancies with all BO being discrete with no hoses cross connections or valves involved.

Big or small dive, boat cave or shore dive, the rig is much easier to set up and splash with.

I guard against CO2 build up with several strategies. I monitor my breathing and exertion levels.

My info may be dated but I am under the impression that there is no BOV that breaths as well as a DSV.

My rig is dam near exactly as it came. Imho it swims better, is more reliable and safer using a DSV.

Shit happens and you never know when something might go wrong, but I am convinced that the beginning and the end of the dive are the most hazardous times. My finger is never far from the green button and I test my BO reg every dive, in the water. The simplicity of my system is a major factor allowing for safe repeated use. The fundamentals of my kit don't change for different dives. I just add more tanks etc.

Peter

Escaped... Lab Rat is an unknown quantity at this point Lab Rat's Avatar
    Meg Driver

I use a Meg currently. I am a big fan of BOVs and theirs inparticular...so far

I have said before elsewhere here that I have seen CO2 hits that you could NOT switch regs for to save your life (rather literally). For me, that made the decision.

The arguments against don't hold much weight for the simple reason that you still have to have a bungied necklace....and THAT can't be easily changed for a non hypoxic mix.

I run my QC6 around my T piece and back down to the second outter Velcro tab. Shallow, plug 50% into it and plan to stop at 30 to switch to bottom gas and verify.

So far, scootering is no problem....but I haven't cruised more than a mile yet

Richard

+ Reply to Thread