+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cable blocking, aka "Why your cables are so damned expensive"

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Re: Cable blocking, aka "Why your cables are so damned expensive"

Quote Originally Posted by Franck13  View Original Post
    congratulations captain i know more of one than would have quit (démissionné in french).
    in front of the work to be made.

franck
    Yeah, but...
    Attached Images

RBW Member PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG's Avatar
    Meg

Fenzy PO68 Dolphin

Great work!

Is there not cable that resists wicking?

RBW Member broncobowsher is on a distinguished road broncobowsher is on a distinguished road broncobowsher's Avatar
    TBD

Quote Originally Posted by PeterVICEG  View Original Post
    Great work!

Not for dive applications, but I recall that one of the LED light manufacturers for off-road lighting had a little plastic block molded into the power wire. It was advertised as a water block to keep water from wicking up the wiring into the light. But I for got who it was that has it. Thought it might have been Rigid Industries, but just looked there and don't see it.

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Quote Originally Posted by PeterVICEG  View Original Post
    Great work!

Apparently there is. Reckon I (or anyone I know) can find a supplier of less than a kilometre roll of the stuff? So we make do with what's available.

AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Finished off today with mixed results.

Seems one of the themes in my life is that polyurethane resin and I don't play well together. Oh well.

Out of the mould.

A bit bubbly and a couple of cavities. Plenty for the hot snot to grip to and a bonus that the heat of the hot melt glue helps cure the PU potting faster.

A wrap of heatshrink and it at least looks the biz :)

Now time to reconnect all the wires back into the loom.

Oh sh1t!! What kind of idiot does all that before running the bloody cable through the head gland? #sadfool

Bugger bugger bugger bum. And much more swearing as I cut apart all those joins I'd just done, whimpered as I saw how short the leads were getting, fed the cable through the head and tried again.

All's well that ends well though, and my head is ready to dive again!

Test dive tomorrow, but jokes and stuffups aside I'm pretty confident it will hold fine.

Mission accomplished!

RBW Member turtle dude is an unknown quantity at this point turtle dude's Avatar
    Inspo classic hacked about

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Starfish  View Original Post

Oh sh1t!! What kind of idiot does all that before running the bloody cable through the head gland? #sadfool

Bugger bugger bugger bum. And much more swearing as I cut apart all those joins I'd just done, whimpered as I saw how short the leads were getting, fed the cable through the head and tried again.
    Ha ha ha ha ha we've all done this sadly on many an occasion in my case, and isn't it just when all the joints went there best and it's the neatest it's ever gone!!!!

It's so great that you include your "Darwin" moments, it reassuring to know that not everything always goes to plan.

Thanks for sharing

Baz

RBW Member PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG's Avatar
    Meg

Fenzy PO68 Dolphin

Lol! Too funny. I wish I could claim to have not been there.

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

I have never water blocked a cable or even needed to yet. I have learned a lot form this thread and would like to thank the OP for posting both his success and failure in doing this.
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Don, I'd done a bunch of stuff without even thinking about it before too. This little exercise taught me a lot I wish I'd known earlier.

And the thing with the head, well, I was burn the house down enraged for a moment when I first noticed but what can you do but have a laugh at yourself when you do something that dumb. :)

Hammerhead CCR diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike's Avatar
    HammerHead CCR

Sidekick & Others

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Starfish  View Original Post
    Don, I'd done a bunch of stuff without even thinking about it before too. This little exercise taught me a lot I wish I'd known earlier.

And the thing with the head, well, I was burn the house down enraged for a moment when I first noticed but what can you do but have a laugh at yourself when you do something that dumb. :)

Thanks for sharing!!! I can't count the number of times that I have done the "finish the cable end without putting it through someplace" error....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2