+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: FS: SubGravity Defender

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

FS: SubGravity Defender

I am offering my Defender for sale. I took possession of it on 2/22/2016 and currently have 44 hours on it. It has the full size aluminum can with the 8 pound scrubber. It is also equipped with an optional ADV (currently modified with a shim to adjust cracking pressure, but can be returned to stock if desired). It has my "can openers" and a Dsix stand attached. The Counter Lung anti-collapse spirals have been D6 modified, which is now a factory standard. It has version 2.1 software and is the latest one. The secondary handset is a Petrel 2.

I will be including the charger for the primary handset, a tool I made to make the plug removal easier for updates, my "can openers", the Dsix stand, and a calibration kit.

I took it to 300' last weekend and it performed flawlessly as usual.

FULL DISCLOSURE: This unit was built using an older Hammerhead head (New Old Stock) rather than the new fancy Defender head. It is the same with the exception of the logo which I promptly machined off. The aluminum can was slightly used and also has the JM logo under the "Dive More" sticker. Everything else was brand spanking new and in the original boxes.

I will only sell this to you if you are already certifed on the Defender or a factory authorized instructor will accept delivery of it prior to your training.

$8000.00 USD for this ready to dive unit. Just add sorb, fill the tanks, and go diving.

Defender 1.jpg

Defender 2.jpg

Defender 3.jpg

Defender 4.jpg
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

RBW Member ffdiver5597 is an unknown quantity at this point ffdiver5597's Avatar

Re: FS: SubGravity Defender

What will you be diving now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by ffdiver5597  View Original Post
    What will you be diving now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Back to my rEvo for now.
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Why I am selling my Defender
    I am getting pounded with PM’s, emails, and phone calls asking why I am selling my Defender. I decided that it would be quicker and easier to just post this for everyone to see.

There are several small things that bother me, but most of these are just my own configuration desires or personal preference and are in no way the primary reason. I would not be honest to say that they did not play a role in my decision though. I will attempt to explain these now:

1) SG-1 electronics
    Having a non-replaceable battery and needing to carry a charger. Since the battery can be changed at the factory when and if it ever fails it is not like the X1 was, but not as quick and easy as just swapping out a spare battery

I was told that they had been beta tested and ready for release to the public. Perhaps this was indeed true but there were still a lot of bugs and I felt like the beta tester. SubGravity was great to work with and very appreciative of the feedback and updates were prompt. I think it is really close to having everything worked out now.

Ease of accidental gas switch. I have to admit that this 100% user error on my part. The piezo switches have an adjustment for the duration of time that is required for the push to actually function. I like having it set to work fast but this also makes it easy to accidentally trigger them. I think the having the button on the top and bottom makes it much more user friendly but at the same time makes accidents easier than having them on the sides.

Hard for my old eyes to see the red box around the highlighted gas during a switch. I know this may soon change and be better.

Too much info packed onto the screens and forcing small fonts

No way to disable solenoid in OC or manual mode. I know this is meant as a safety factor but it is a real pain to have the solenoid firing away while trying to configure for a dive. The handset can be disconnected form the head to solve this but why the extra effort.

Needing to remove a sealed plug for updates. I am pretty sure this is being taken care of and will no longer be a concern.

Log book temp is still shown in metric. I am sure this is just waiting for the next update to be taken care of too.

2) Restricted head movement
    Tears up the inside of my lips if allowed to let mouthpiece slip for more movement

Cannot turn far enough to use my cheaters to see my Primary without stretching my arm clear across my chest to the other eye

3) BOV prevents downward visibility and not convinced of its usefulness when using hypoxic mixes
    Cannot shorten SPG hoses and still be able to see them.

Cannot see BO HUD when using BOB

4) ADV fires too easy and anytime in a slight head down position. I have machined a shim to increase the cracking pressure since the only adjustment possible is the lever height.

5) Cannot do a one handed dil flush while scootering

6) Dumping scrubber is like removing concrete

As you can tell, none of the previous things are that big of a deal but they were all small things that did play a small part in my decision.

The final straw that forced me into some long and serious thinking was the fact that my unit still is not capable of having a fourth cell wired in. This was completely understood by all parties prior to my purchase. I have waited for 10 months and it still has not happened. The bottom line is that I finally ran out of patience and decided that it was a far better option for me to sell the Defender as an unmolested unit rather than begin to make changes to it that would both hurt the resale value and possibly do irreparable damage to it in the process.

Randy did make an attempt to sort this by sending me a brand new head. I was to install my 4 cell carriage in this new head that was unpotted and wire it to my liking. The head was fully potted and my carriage was not interchangeable. I sent the head back. Randy did mention the possibility of them removing the potting from my head and wiring it up to my liking if that was what I wanted too. I am not trying to place blame or cause damage. I just reached my breaking point and gave up on the Defender being what I want.

Underwater Journal Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns's Avatar
    KISS Explorer & Spirit LTE

KIS Sport, KISS GEM, Dolphin

Jesus Don, I thought there was something wrong with the rebreather. Now I see that it is because you're a mess.
    Walt Stearns
    Editor-in-Chief
    www.UnderwaterJournal.com

rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Walt summed it up pretty good. There is nothing wrong with the rebreather, I seem to be the biggest problem with it.

Some body out there can save several thousand $$$$ on this unit even with it being less than a year old.

rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

I want this awesome piece of equipment to move into a home where it will be appreciated, loved, and respected. How about a little more incentive to buy it? Price drop to $7000.00 USD.

rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

OK, lets try this. I will sell it without the stand or any of the other things I made. It will be a completely stock unit and fully factory approved. Price point now down to $6000.00 USD and I am no longer worried about you being certified to buy it. I want this thing to find a new home rather than just sitting in my closet.

ANDI I.T.D.#15 andibk will become famous soon enough andibk will become famous soon enough andibk will become famous soon enough andibk's Avatar
    Hammerhead, Optima and Nautilu

Hammerhead, Inspiration, Kiss

Don please check your inbox. I sent you a message there.
    Bruce

rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Still available? Yes

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast