+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: First RB.. Draeger Dolphin or not?

First RB.. Draeger Dolphin or not?

Just got a chance to buy a Dolphin for like 300$.. Haven't been used the last four years. But is complete.

My diving:
    Underwater photographer, currently diving 40'ish meters, and nitrox.

So a few questions.

How much is there to service in these things? Can i find service kits? Cost? And is it possible to do myself without a lot of specific tool?
    (I service my own oc Apeks regs)

If geting this i kinda wanna go straight toward building it a mccr. So, is there parts/kits around these days that i can get used?
    (I know Tecme sells new stuff)

On a pretty strict budget here, so kinda going about if it's worth it, serviced and convertet to mccr, or just save my money.

Located in Europe (Norway)

Sent fra min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

Re: First RB.. Draeger Dolphin or not?

Converting a draeger to ccr is not too difficult. I would suggest you do a little time as SCR just to get used to the nuances of the unit, breathing, scrubber duration etc. You should also get training as a SCR diver so if you ever need to show a cert card you have one. My first rb was a dolphin, my second rb was the same dolphin converted to ccr. I got about a year out of each. I feel the experience allowed me to understand what was going on with my unit better.
    Good luck, There are likely lots of old web pages still up with tips and instructions.
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

Or, consider this one:
    (For around 1500$ max)

O2 line: Kiss valve, constant flow O2 with bypass ball valve to shut of O2. Apex DS4 1st stage with constant IP (tecme.de) .
    New connection on filter for O2.
    O2 sensor housing.
    New O2 sensor housing with 3 sensors (expired)
    Display for all three sensorer housing. 90 degree bend that make loop equal on both sides.
    Diluent: seperat manuel diluent valve (tecme.de)
    Backplate/ harness:
    New 6mm stainless steel backplate with extra weights. OMS double wing can be added to sale.
    New brackets for Diluent and O2 tanks. New bracket from v4tec.de for mounting backplate to rb. Tanks, 8 liter. 4 liter dulient. 2x 3 liter O2 tanks.

All parts for reverting back to scr comes with it.

Thanks.

RBW Member Mike_Eitel is an unknown quantity at this point Mike_Eitel's Avatar
    MeCCRxWi

MeRAY, MeTravox,MeCCRV"x,Inspi

That is very nice deal.
    You will love to dive a little bit warmer than oc

And if you can do some mecanicals by yourself, you will love to modify )

Mike
    Momentan 5 modified or totaly selfmade rebs

Which one do you think?

Yeah I'm a technical kinda guy loving to DIY, and thinkers with scuba gear all day long anyways.
    :)

RBW Member udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn's Avatar
    prism,larv/tubx,leba54,dolphin

mk15,lar vII, ray

like dave said the dreager is a GREAT unit to start with .....I teach and own 6 of them ,, im a factory trained technician ..love these units you can do almost anything to them and very user friendly . where are you located ?

Quote Originally Posted by udtabn  View Original Post
    like dave said the dreager is a GREAT unit to start with .....I teach and own 6 of them ,, im a factory trained technician ..love these units you can do almost anything to them and very user friendly . where are you located ?
    Seems like an okay starting point when on a budget at least :)
    Located in europe, Norway.

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

I have a converted (ccr) Dolphin in my shed. I've dived it once, in the pool, and put it back in the shed hoping that the guy that gave it to me will ask for it back.

In fairness, it's been years since it was used and there were a couple of minor leaks. The one place it should leak (he had a KISS valve on it) was missing so it was manual add O2 only. It was still fine to use just to get a feel for it.

Things I noticed:
    1. With the horizontally mounted scrubber, adding a cylinder to either side of it made the thing huge and unwieldy both in and out of the water.
    2. It would not sit nicely on my back but flopped around like crazy - especially I guess because of the hard case for the cylinder mounts.
    3. My mate was test diving a Ray at the same time. Less bubbles than open circuit but still plenty of them.

I had a chance to hunt down the orifices etc and put it back into original configuration but didn't bother for three reasons:
    1. This unit was a bit old and sad anyway.
    2. Bubbles.
    3. Scrubber didn't hold enough sorb for me to do two decent dives in a day off the boat without changing lime on board.

A fun thing to play with just for the sake of different, but here's the thing: you won't be happy with the limited sorb, you won't be happy with the bubbles if you're taking photos and you'll want to close it up.

Ignoring the wide load configuration of the thing for the moment (I'm sure a good sturdy backplate and harness would stop it slopping around), add up the cost of closing the circuit including frame, cylinders, leaky valve, extra p ports, O2 monitor, extra hoses etc to hang it all together.

Then look at the price of a secondhand Inspiration Classic. I don't think you'll get another eCCR at the same price point, and I suspect that even if your time is worth nothing the cost of parts for closing a Dolphin will go way past a cheap Inspo.

All IMVHO obviously... Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field's Avatar
    NVMCCR Inspiration

Classic KISS, Sport KISS

If you want a CCR get a CCR.

Converting requires alot more than adding parts, it includes knowing the comprimises in the SCR loop that would not be present in a CCR.

Secondly building your own unit introduces a host of issues, you become the service agent, parts supplier and test/certification agency for your own unit/life. IF you are happy with that and competant then go for it. If you are a legitimate noob (no offence) then buy a stock unit and get traiing first.

I had a couple of stock units, once I understood what was wrong with them I built my own as IMO there is no viable MCCR on the market, you have to buy an ECCR or build your own. It means I can't dive in some countries or with some holiday/trip providers as they want to see qualifications (despite neither being a legal requirement).

A $300 Draeger sounds great value, dive it as an SCR and get a good rebreather experience- then buy a CCR if you want one. Converting an SCR will likely end up costing more and yield a less satisfying result IMVHO.

After a good bunch of research and your replies here, the conclusion is what already mentioned above here. Maybe geting the scr just for the fun if it since it being so cheap, and keeping it scr. Then start looking for a cheap Inspiration or something similar. Also just found out that a dive center close by does courses on these and lots if others machines as well.
    Maybe one day down the line, if geting the dolphin, it can be a pet ccr prodject ;)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast