+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oriskany Trip

RBW Member Lee Stroke is an unknown quantity at this point Lee Stroke's Avatar
    Revo

Oriskany Trip

Looking at diving the Oriskany second week of March. Any information about the area, dive shop or boat charters would be appreciated. Diving a rEvo so will need mix and O2. Thanks.

Revo

Re: Oriskany Trip

I take it that no one has dived the Oriskany????

Mark Hilley firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver's Avatar
    Kiss Sport

Dolphin, Ray, Homebuild

I've probably got about 100 dives on the Big O. Been dozens of times. I'm close enough to drive over, so we bring my buddy's boat. I've never been on a charter trip, so I can't say how RB friendly they are, but the main dive shop in town is MBT divers. I've been in an out of the shop for years, and they are always very friendly and helpful. I know they do oriskany charters. Give them a call and they'll help you get sorted.

The ship is massive. You could dive for a week and not see it all. It's deep, for recreational, so not too many inexperienced divers venture past the conning tower. Lots to see around the lower section. Best time to go is mid week, when everyone is at work. Last few times we've been was on Tuesday/Wednesday and we were the only ones out there. It's 24 miles out, so expect a long ride to reach the site.

We dove it the 2nd day it was open to the public, after the sinking. It was pretty neat, but just the ship. Now there are lots of fish and critters.

Discovery channel made a documentary about the oriskany, and it's reefing. It used to air pretty often, but I haven't seen it in a few years. I'd bet you could find it on YouTube. It's worth watching just to get the general feel for it.

Hope this helps,

FD

Revo

Thanks FD,
    Thinking of going down the island to the hanger deck as a survey looking for tank staging and entry point. Nothing involved this time around no more than 200 feet.

Escaped... Lab Rat is an unknown quantity at this point Lab Rat's Avatar
    Meg Driver

He has more time on it than I do, but I have done several dives there and can recommend one, depending on your certification and comfort level. I will assume trimix/wreck/overhead training and experience.

Second the recommendation for MBT. They used to have a skipper who had a fast boat and would take up to 3-4 "technical" divers...worth the extra money for comfort and time.

They usually grab a mooring or grapple the superstructure (sometimes the mooring is gone).

You will drop onto the top of the island around 83 fsw and can continue down to the deck at 140-145. Go to the aircraft elevator just aft of the island and have a look around the hanger deck (use a primary reel- it is big). I think I got about 185 here. You can then go up the escalator on the outside of the ship and enter the tower. There are several levels and exit points. Enjoy exploring that and you'll find yourself at 85 feet about 45 + minutes later, depending on loitering time.

Obviously, don't go in anything you aren't trained and experienced for. All overhead environment rules apply.

It's a great dive...but a little bit of a hike to get to it off-shore.

-Richard

Mark Hilley firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver's Avatar
    Kiss Sport

Dolphin, Ray, Homebuild

It's 140ish to the flight deck. It's massive, but basically just flat. Not too much to do and see. You could keep busy with just the conning tower, but the aircraft elevator/hangar bay is pretty wide open and easy to navigate. I've been down, across, and out of the other side several times. I've never been brave enough to venture into the corridors and smaller passages....just not for me.

On a side note, I know what you mean about the moorings. They tied several ropes with buoys at the top so the ball was hanging at 30 feet or so. They make it safe and easy to tie in. Seems like every few times I've been, they're gone. One of us has to swim down and tie in. I don't know if it's fact, but a local guy told me that some of the tech divers keep cutting the ropes to make it less appealing to Joe Q Diver.

Chris Ferrar hyrax is an unknown quantity at this point hyrax's Avatar
    Evolution

I have goon a couple of times with H2O Below. It has been years but I was happy with the service. http://www.ussoriskanydiver.com/

RBW Member kreiner_n is an unknown quantity at this point kreiner_n's Avatar

I dove it on OC gear last May with Viking dive charters and had a great day diving. Incidentally the captain that day was diving his Poseidon seven and was very nice about explaining the Seven to all of us.

I didn't do much but we hit the flight deck at 146' and meandered up the tower. Fantastic dive and hope you enjoy!

RBW Member DGraham is on a distinguished road DGraham is on a distinguished road DGraham's Avatar
    APD Evoltion Vision

Classic Inspo

I dove it two summers ago in July with H2O charters. They had no issue with me doing an extended bottom time solo dive. Went down the tower and down the escalator and scootered the entire distance to the stern inside the hanger deck. Unfortunately my scooter died once I came out, so I had to kick all the way back.

It was an awesome dive. Had a great experience with a white tip reef shark and saw quite a bit.

Like was said earlier. It is huge and much more than you can do in one trip, but if you take your scooter you can see a lot.

Went down to the bottom at the stern to see the rudders. Got to about 225 if I remember correctly.

RBW Member gsxr1997 is an unknown quantity at this point gsxr1997's Avatar

Viking charters is RB/Tech friendly and easygoing

+ Reply to Thread