+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rebreather Use in the Philippines

RBW Member woofy is an unknown quantity at this point woofy's Avatar
    jjccr

Re: Rebreather Use in the Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by silent running  View Original Post
    +2 for evolution Divers, my wife and I spent two weeks driving there, the thresher shark experience is unlike any I have had diving anywhere else in the world, and there is a nice WW2 wreck as well. Matt runs a great operation, and the establishment of the marine park really makes a difference, with much better results than the one near Alona. I highly recommend making a stop in Malapascua for any CCR divers traveling to PI.

As for travel, I had no trouble getting into the country with my rebreather in carry-on, including the regulators. However upon leaving, I had to take my O2 regulator off as it was the only thing hard plumbed into the system. This was a pain in the ass as all my tools were in the checked bags and necessitated recalling the checked bags from the airline to access the tools and repack the O2 regs. I resent the Filipino authorities for their busybody BS as I'm sure there's a fair amount of $ generated by dive tourism. That being said, one can easily avoid conflict by simply putting all regulators in checked bags... -Andy
    i travel regularly to the philippines and i would suggest that you check your regs in rather than carry on they my cause you a problem depending who is on duty at the xray machine however the airport is a lot better now after the new president has sacked all the staff and completely replaced all of them

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by woofy  View Original Post
    i travel regularly to the philippines and i would suggest that you check your regs in rather than carry on they my cause you a problem depending who is on duty at the xray machine however the airport is a lot better now after the new president has sacked all the staff and completely replaced all of them
    That is good news for dive travelers and PI citizens, woofy. All un-civil servants who think we work for them should be sacked, instead of allowing them to burrow deeper into the system, as happens too often.

But I will avoid conflict in the future by putting the regs in checked bags whenever I go to PI... -Andy

RBW Member dlh is an unknown quantity at this point dlh's Avatar

Much of the best diving in Dumaguette is "muck diving" (which is awesome) and not tech diving. That said, they are CCR friendly in my experience. I went to Atlantis Dumaguette a few years ago and called them in advance to confirm. They asked my to buy new CCR bottles in the US and leave them behind for their use, taking the difference off my bill. It worked out great and was a lot of fun.

RBW Member moose_grunt is an unknown quantity at this point moose_grunt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dlh  View Original Post
    They asked my to buy new CCR bottles in the US and leave them behind for their use, taking the difference off my bill.
    That's a pretty sweet deal. Plenty of places would just tell you to bring your own back and forth every time, and constantly run the risk of losing them to TSA.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2