+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Filmmaker Rob Stewart missing rebreather diving in Florida Keys

RBW Member Venomguy is an unknown quantity at this point Venomguy's Avatar

Re: Filmmaker Rob Stewart missing rebreather diving in Florida Keys

Very Sad news to hear about the passing of Rob,

when you consider that both Peter and Rob seem to have encountered the same issues (Passing out on the Surface) it brings into context how dangerous rebreather diving can be, even when practiced by experienced divers.

Very sad loss , and hope Peter recovers fully,

Andrew

RBW Member s. McWilliam is on a distinguished road s. McWilliam is on a distinguished road s. McWilliam's Avatar

In the deafening science . . . rest in peace Rod Stewart, you and your great talent were much loved and greatly missed . . .

https://www.outsideonline.com/215462...ewart-obituary

Mr. Stewart’s dive partner, Mr. Peter Stotis, owner operator of Add Helium and the DECO Stop web site is also much loved and talented and survived the dive. We can only hope he recovers quickly. While the search efforts of all are greatly appreciated and respect the efforts of the Key Largo Fire and Rescue dive team who located and recovered Mr. Stewart’s remains. That is never a pleasant job.

Rod and his diving companions appear to have fallen victim to their own enthusiasm and it is going to take time and a lot of good wishes for the diving community at large to recover from this heartbreaking loss. I think now of Invictus …

Invictus

By William Earnest Henley

Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
    Looms but the Horror of the shade,
    And yet the menace of the years
    Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul.
    Last edited by s. McWilliam; 4th February 2017 at 11:33.

for a world of water OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity's Avatar
    homebuild/custom

Quote Originally Posted by spyder360  View Original Post
    Sad to see - given at the surface and the other diver passed-out on deck, along with a deeper dive than usual, odds seem to favor hypoxia.
    ...or hypercapnea. makes you wonder if scrubber was changed in between dives. at the depths indicated, there was really no need for a hypoxic diluent. More information needed to put it all together.

RBW Member 2.reefrat is an unknown quantity at this point 2.reefrat's Avatar
    Pending

I guess it is because of vested interest of Rebreatherworld ownership that there is relatively little analytical discussion here of this tragic event, take a look at Scubaboard to see a much more active an informed thread.
    There is a lot going on behind the scenes here and I hope that Rebreatherworld can continue to be the forum of choice for rebreather divers after the facts come out, the humble pie is consumed and the dust settles.

Supporting Member spyder360 is an unknown quantity at this point spyder360's Avatar
    Sentinel Expedition, Mk15/15.5

LAR VII, LAR V Clone, Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by OceanOpportunity  View Original Post
    ...or hypercapnea. makes you wonder if scrubber was changed in between dives. at the depths indicated, there was really no need for a hypoxic diluent. More information needed to put it all together.
    Absolutely more info is needed - all I'm saying is going from deep to shallow and passing out on the surface is classic hypoxia. Don't need to dive hypoxic dil mixes to succumb to hypoxia.

RBW Member Franck13 is an unknown quantity at this point Franck13's Avatar
    Vision Inspiration all options

kiss poseidon lard ....

it's sad

franck

RBW Member andrespp is on a distinguished road andrespp is on a distinguished road andrespp's Avatar

three dives to -70 meters on the same day, with Little surface interval between dives.

mmmmm....My initial thought is that they did not change tanks, so they started the last dive with Little gas, so in the long deco they used up all the oxygen, and then breathe the hypoxic mix on surface, hence the blackouts.

In the case of Rob, because he was still on water the ccr became flooded so buoyancy was lost and he drowned.

Let´s wait for the oficial report, and RIP for the unfortunate Rob Stewart.

Richard Huntrods sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy's Avatar
    Prism Topaz

Quote Originally Posted by 2.reefrat  View Original Post
    I guess it is because of vested interest of Rebreatherworld ownership that there is relatively little analytical discussion here of this tragic event, take a look at Scubaboard to see a much more active an informed thread.
    There is a lot going on behind the scenes here and I hope that Rebreatherworld can continue to be the forum of choice for rebreather divers after the facts come out, the humble pie is consumed and the dust settles.
    Well, that thread looks like it's been pulled.

RBW Member Steverin06 is an unknown quantity at this point Steverin06's Avatar
    Liberty

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyboy  View Original Post
    Well, that thread looks like it's been pulled.
    I was unsuccessful finding it as well. That's unfortunate, because I'm sure there's a lot to learn from the incident.

RBW Member Francis is an unknown quantity at this point Francis's Avatar

It's there.

"Alligator Reef diver [Rob Stewart] missing - Florida Keys"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast