+ Reply to Thread

Thread: sinus barotrauma question

Submerge Productions PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver's Avatar

sinus barotrauma question

Hi all,

last week I made three shallow dives (<20 meters). After two of them I had a slightly numb feeling in my cheek. It went away after 30 minutes max. On Saturday we made two dives on the NorthSea. These dives were a bit deeper (35 meters). After each this numb feeling had progressed to severe tooth pain that lasted for hours, extremely painful after the second. I contacted DAN yesterday and their doctor said it was probably a sinus barotrauma. I went to my doctor today and he prescribed tablets containing coritizone to get rid of the infection.

My question is: has anybody experienced this before and how long did they stay out of the water. We have a trip planned in two weeks and I'm not sure whether everything will be OK in time.

Thanks,

Peter

Nutty dentist - uwdriller divelermentov is a glorious beacon of light divelermentov is a glorious beacon of light divelermentov is a glorious beacon of light divelermentov is a glorious beacon of light divelermentov is a glorious beacon of light divelermentov is a glorious beacon of light divelermentov is a glorious beacon of light divelermentov is a glorious beacon of light divelermentov is a glorious beacon of light divelermentov is a glorious beacon of light divelermentov is a glorious beacon of light divelermentov's Avatar
    homebuilder

rEvo powered inspo

Re: sinus barotrauma question

Quote Originally Posted by PCDiver
    Hi all,

last week I made three shallow dives (<20 meters). After two of them I had a slightly numb feeling in my cheek. It went away after 30 minutes max. On Saturday we made two dives on the NorthSea. These dives were a bit deeper (35 meters). After each this numb feeling had progressed to severe tooth pain that lasted for hours, extremely painful after the second. I contacted DAN yesterday and their doctor said it was probably a sinus barotrauma. I went to my doctor today and he prescribed tablets containing coritizone to get rid of the infection.

My question is: has anybody experienced this before and how long did they stay out of the water. We have a trip planned in two weeks and I'm not sure whether everything will be OK in time.

Thanks,

Peter

Hi peter

i once had a inner ear barotrauma (very nasty) which took a good 10 days to get better. the doctors grounded me for three weeks form any deeper diving.

i do not know how this translates to a sinus trauma. however one would assume that the first trauma led to some bleeding into your sinus, the blood clot possibly got a secondary infection ( which would explain teh increase in discomfort).

For these sinus infections i prefer togive my patients clarithromycin as it has shown to have a good penetration into these tissues, however i would think that to be on the safe side you should allow a minimum of 10 days for the sinus infection to heal.

cheers christian

NOTE: this mediacal advice is the my solely professional opinion, please consult you physician as well as a physician trained in diving medicine for further advice. i do not take any responsibity if you decide to dive against the advice of yor diving physician.

MY THE SORB WITH YOU

Submerge Productions PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by divelermentov
    Hi peter

i once had a inner ear barotrauma (very nasty) which took a good 10 days to get better. the doctors grounded me for three weeks form any deeper diving.

i do not know how this translates to a sinus trauma. however one would assume that the first trauma led to some bleeding into your sinus, the blood clot possibly got a secondary infection ( which would explain teh increase in discomfort).

For these sinus infections i prefer togive my patients clarithromycin as it has shown to have a good penetration into these tissues, however i would think that to be on the safe side you should allow a minimum of 10 days for the sinus infection to heal.

cheers christian

NOTE: this mediacal advice is the my solely professional opinion, please consult you physician as well as a physician trained in diving medicine for further advice. i do not take any responsibity if you decide to dive against the advice of yor diving physician.

MY THE SORB WITH YOU
    Thanks for the feedback.

Curmudgeon babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar's Avatar

what about the tooth itself? Sinus and ear pain problems can be felt as 'toothache', but lets not forget that teeth are also sensitive to pressure, especially if there is a large cavity or hollow space that can be transmitting pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by babar
    what about the tooth itself? Sinus and ear pain problems can be felt as 'toothache', but lets not forget that teeth are also sensitive to pressure, especially if there is a large cavity or hollow space that can be transmitting pressure.
    I have an appointement on Friday with the dentist to rule out dental problems. But since multiple teeth are affected, it is more likely a squeeze on the nerve that caused the pain.

Update - I went to the ENT today (great guy, knows his stuff and he is a diver). He took a CT scan and the sinusses on the left are completely blocked. No diving for at least another week, but probably more. So there goes my "deep wreck trip" to Croatia.

Nutty dentist - uwdriller divelermentov is a glorious beacon of light divelermentov is a glorious beacon of light divelermentov is a glorious beacon of light divelermentov is a glorious beacon of light divelermentov is a glorious beacon of light divelermentov is a glorious beacon of light divelermentov is a glorious beacon of light divelermentov is a glorious beacon of light divelermentov is a glorious beacon of light divelermentov is a glorious beacon of light divelermentov is a glorious beacon of light divelermentov's Avatar
    homebuilder

rEvo powered inspo

no worries mate
    she wont go anywhere

There is always another time

Cheers
    Christian

May The Sorb Be With You

Quote Originally Posted by divelermentov
    no worries mate
    she wont go anywhere

There is always another time

Cheers
    Christian

May The Sorb Be With You
    I was lucky. The ENT OK'd me for diving yesterday and a test dive proved that everyting is back to normal. So I'm leaving this morning with the second shift. Only half a trip lost.

Safe diving all.

Peter

+ Reply to Thread