+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Radial scrubber: which size?

RBW Member luki90 is an unknown quantity at this point luki90's Avatar
    Meg 2.01k

Radial scrubber: which size?

Hi folks!

I'm looking for a radial scrubber for my meg, but i'm not sure which size i should buy between 5.5lbs and 8lbs.

Currently i'm diving a standard 6lbs axial, and i feel safe diving 4h (in one occasion i did 5h20') out of it (usually two 120min dives one per weekend, or change it if more than 180min on first dive). I would dive the same way the 5.5lbs radial.
    But what about the 8lbs one? Would you feel safe diving it for three 120min dives (or four 90min) on 3 or 4 weekends?

Escaped... Lab Rat is an unknown quantity at this point Lab Rat's Avatar
    Meg Driver

Re: Radial scrubber: which size?

I have dived the axial and currently dive the 5.5 radial. The axial is easier to pack, the radial breaths great (and objectively has the lowest WOB). I wouldn't dive any scrubber over 3-4 weeks as your post appeared to be asking (mold, etc.). You might enjoy having the second scrubber just to have loaded as a backup.

The 8lb radial shines with dives over 4 hours, which I have done in the past, but am not currently doing...that may change shortly due to some pending projects. If you use the 8 lb radial for shorter dives, very likely you may begin second guessing the time and shorting it, thereby dumping more sorb than you are saving time.

I know I would be very hesitant to jump a 180' dive on an 8 lb radial can with, say, 3.5 hours already on it.

Put another way, if I had a dive coming up and a choice between a fresh 5.5 lb radial and an 8lb radial with 3 or 3.5 hours already on it, I'd rather have the fresh 5.5 lb radial....so it kinda depends on your risk tolerance.

I'm allergic to undue risk...so...the way I would actually use it would favor a second 5.5 or 6 lb scrubber.

If, on the other hand, I was planning a 4 hour dive...I'd rather have the 8lb radial for the reserve time it offers if something unexpected happens...but not to use for the way you described (multiple dives, multiple days).

Hope that helps.

-Richard

RBW Member luki90 is an unknown quantity at this point luki90's Avatar
    Meg 2.01k

Thanks Lab Rat!
    You summarize pretty well the answers to all my doubts!
    I'll go for a 5.5lbs one and keep my 6.0 axial as backup if i'll had to do multiple dives, then. ;)

Thanks...fastest thread ever...

Meg Driver

Glad to help....

Eventually, you'll own all three anyway... resistance is futile...

Just eat Raman noodles for three months straight...funding won't be an issue then.

-Richard

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg

I have an 8lb radial. I used it once (so far) for a long weekend in cold water. I did 3 dives for about 5 hrs total. Just a bit more than I was comfortable diving my 6lb axial. I dumped it after that, but I felt like I had reserve and if a 4th dive had come up that weekend I would have gladly done another 60-90min dive on it (6-6.5 hrs total, much of that on deco). I haven't used the 8lb radial more because I feel like I'd be doing too many dives on it even though the total hours might not be extraordinary.

RBW Member PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG's Avatar
    Meg

Fenzy PO68 Dolphin

After running my 5.5 radial to five hours a few times I aquired an 8 lb radial. In the water it is just fine and it makes me feel good about longer run times in colder water. However it is noticeably heavier. Pulling my arse up a ladder or a beach is more the chore.

I have so far filled it three times. I have used it over a few days but I am not keen to keep using it until I get my money's worth from the sorb. It is not for sale as I hope to use on some bigger dives, but I reserve it for when either I intend do a big dive, or maybe just a couple of decent dives.

Kind of a nice feeling when you can just add a few hours hours to the dive.

RBW Member SlowDiver will become famous soon enough SlowDiver will become famous soon enough SlowDiver will become famous soon enough SlowDiver's Avatar
    Hammerhead Hybrid

Haven't responded since I don't dive a Meg but using a look-a-like by I-Qsub. What I noticed about going from the 8 lb. to a 5.5 lb. was that having to use a larger spacer at the bottom of the unit it created a large gas pocket. This turned out to be a plus since it helps lift the bottom of the unit giving me better trim. Also as mentioned in another post, lighter out of the water.

Let's go diving! mpement will become famous soon enough mpement will become famous soon enough mpement will become famous soon enough mpement's Avatar
    Megalodon

I dive the 8# Golem Radial in deep warm water dives of sixty meters or so and routinely put 8+/- hours on the canister before I dump it.
    I let it sit for 24hrs to eliminate surface moisture and then store it in the Meg canister (with the can capped) for as long as 60 days between dives.
    I have often put 10+/- hours on the same fill but as the hours start to add up I choose to avoid deep dives, and I've never had a hint of a problem.
    Not trying to say you should do this too (don't flame me) just trying to give you some perspective as to what my profiles are like.
    Certified on the Meg in 2004 and have 1150 hours on it to date.

Meg Driver

Mpement,

It's always good to hear that the scrubber is able to do that. I suspect that tight moisture control is preventing mold issues....

Thanks for the info.

-Richard

+ Reply to Thread