+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "Ray-ing" a Dolphin

RBW Member Urban Peer is an unknown quantity at this point Urban Peer's Avatar
    Dolphin SCR, MCCR

Hombuilt

"Ray-ing" a Dolphin

hi all,
    I know this sounds crazy, why should anyone convert a dolphin into a ray? Since the dolphin is the more evolved rebreather than the ray.
    This unit that i want to convert is my second dolpin. (the other one that i am usually diving with is converted into MCCR) As we all know, weight is a big issue when it comes to travelling. Also the dive base that i am planing to dive with can only provide nitrox up to 40%O2. They dont provide Oxigen.(So no MMCR Diving there) And their smallest cillyndersize is 8 liter. First i saw a cheap ray and thought that would do the job. But then i came up whith the idea that it could be much easier and cheaper to install ray style pneumatics whit an 40% dossage unit and inflatorhose and 2ndstage bailoutreg directly conected to the dolphins 1st stage. Why? I dont have to bring my own tanks. The 8 liter tanks can still easely be mounted on the back and they are big enough to serve for bailout too. This makes the rebreather lite and quite simple to handle.
    I do have to mention that i stay within receational limits anyway!
    Has anyone of you tried to do that before???

RBW Member Mike_Eitel is an unknown quantity at this point Mike_Eitel's Avatar
    MeCCRxWi

MeRAY, MeTravox,MeCCRV"x,Inspi

Re: "Ray-ing" a Dolphin

I have 2 rays just for low weight traveling.
    And 2 set of gear to make a simple stage holders. For the AL you mostely get there.

Than long hose with omniswivel lockable connectors to the the stages as dilluent. Small 2 liter composite for O2 plus needle valve with din O2 regulator. + 2 MAV....
    + 2 sensor O2 measuments. AV-1 is flexible to handle that.

All of that ( with sometimes a bit of tinkering on site ) gives you nice mccr dives.

We use it from 32% up to 100% O2. Depending what you can get..

In Egypth we use ca 7lpm with 32%. One scubber is ok for 2x 75min easy diving.

Mike

Photographer & Journalist John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard's Avatar
    rEvo II Mini Hybrid

If you have a multi-cell O2 monitor, you can feed a needle valve from a regular first stage rather than the heavy drager first/second stages. That way, its not much different to a mccr and can easily be used as scr or mccr by shuffling some plumbing about.

Dolphin SCR, MCCR

Hombuilt

I allready had a sidemount MCCR converted Dolphin. (see at the pic i added, by the way th 1th stage is from the RGUFM that means the needlevalve is integrated in the 1th stage)

But my main problem was the traveling destination:
    Due im traveling whith my family i am bound to the offers of the local dive center there.
    I contacted them and they can only provide eanriched air up to the 38% they dont have 100% O2 and all my MCCR rigs are homebuilt. So there is no proove of training other than my logbook. Whitout plastic it will be difficult to put up some pressure on them. Anyway i am bound to the divethime like the other guests. That makes a MCCR useless. I allready thoght about going OC using my old nemrod doublehose reg. Just to have something with two hoses in my mouth hehehehe.MCCR Sidemountnew.jpg
    Last edited by Urban Peer; 26th January 2017 at 12:16.

Dolphin SCR, MCCR

Hombuilt

Quote Originally Posted by John Liddiard  View Original Post
    If you have a multi-cell O2 monitor, you can feed a needle valve from a regular first stage rather than the heavy drager first/second stages. That way, its not much different to a mccr and can easily be used as scr or mccr by shuffling some plumbing about.
    I tried that out but the range of the needle valve (chris kennedy) using a ordinary 1th stage did not reach the Gasflow that i need. If i increase the intermediate pressure this will make my air2 (that i used as bailout reg) fire. of course whith the dolpin 1thstage it will also blow of. But i thought that the original dräger 2stage bailoutreg should hold the pressure since it is used on the ray.
    But i am truly considering using the needle valve whith that higer intermediate pressure may be than it will reach all the afforded gasflow between 32% and 60% .
    Last edited by Urban Peer; 26th January 2017 at 12:26.

Photographer & Journalist John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard's Avatar
    rEvo II Mini Hybrid

I may be remembering wrong, was the 40% jet 10 lpm?

I forget the swagelock part no I used. Fully open it would do about 20 lpm on a 10 bar IP at the surface, or just cracked open for MCCR.

RBW Member sailor is on a distinguished road sailor is on a distinguished road sailor's Avatar
    TR300c hCCR, Ray mCCR

Dolphin, Inspiration Vision

Hi,

the original Dolphin 1st stage will not work for a bailout regulator as it has a fixed IP.
    It will make a regulator to freeflow on the surface and breath harder the deeper you go, eventually failing below 20 meters / 66 feet or so.
    You might use a Ray 1st stage but then you will have an increased constant flow / gasconsumption at depth.
    If they have suitable tanks with dual valves you could use one Dolphin 1st stage for the bypass / constant flow jet and one regular 1st stage for the bailout.

Reiner

Dolphin SCR, MCCR

Hombuilt

Quote Originally Posted by sailor  View Original Post
    Hi,

the original Dolphin 1st stage will not work for a bailout regulator as it has a fixed IP.
    It will make a regulator to freeflow on the surface and breath harder the deeper you go, eventually failing below 20 meters / 66 feet or so.
    You might use a Ray 1st stage but then you will have an increased constant flow / gasconsumption at depth.
    If they have suitable tanks with dual valves you could use one Dolphin 1st stage for the bypass / constant flow jet and one regular 1st stage for the bailout.

Reiner
    Thanks Rainer. Usefull info i did not know about that important difference!!! I am afraid but there is no chance to get tanks with dual valves. I will use the ray 1st stage since i have a cheap one in reach. or i take an extra light composite tank for bailout with me.
    Last edited by Urban Peer; 27th January 2017 at 09:31.

RBW Member haaginheimer is an unknown quantity at this point haaginheimer's Avatar
    KISS GEM (modified)

Dolphin, Prism 2, Poseidon

Would a LOLA valve work? might be easy to just bring one of those along - one for the bailout and one for the Dolphin/Ray regulator (if you convert it to DIN)

Quote Originally Posted by sailor  View Original Post
    Hi,

Reiner

RBW Member Mike_Eitel is an unknown quantity at this point Mike_Eitel's Avatar
    MeCCRxWi

MeRAY, MeTravox,MeCCRV"x,Inspi

Hi

I'm usingen for our rays the following needle valves

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Nadelventil-1...item19f5e4e1e8

Also beeing in plain saltwaters, astonishingly I see no corrosion.
    Easy to adjust to 0.8 lpm (O2) or 7 lpm (N32)....

Mike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast