+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Seacure mouthpiece and silcone sealant?

RBW Member 2.reefrat is an unknown quantity at this point 2.reefrat's Avatar
    Pending

Re: Seacure mouthpiece and silcone sealant?

Nope, didn't work!
    After tightening the tie wrap as much as possible I was still able to pull the seacure mouthpiece off with no effort at all. The silicone had cured and adhered to the BOV tube but not at all to the mouthpiece despite lightly sanding the inside surface.
    So, the comfobite has gone back on and is OK apart from the fact that the orifice is way smaller than the original Hollis mouthpiece and I know that this is not meant to be a good idea for WOB in rebreathers.
    In case your wondering, I removed the original because it had a tear and being on a remote island (Grand Turk) there is nowhere here to get an original replacement.

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by 2.reefrat  View Original Post
    Nope, didn't work!
    After tightening the tie wrap as much as possible I was still able to pull the seacure mouthpiece off with no effort at all. The silicone had cured and adhered to the BOV tube but not at all to the mouthpiece despite lightly sanding the inside surface.
    So, the comfobite has gone back on and is OK apart from the fact that the orifice is way smaller than the original Hollis mouthpiece and I know that this is not meant to be a good idea for WOB in rebreathers.
    In case your wondering, I removed the original because it had a tear and being on a remote island (Grand Turk) there is nowhere here to get an original replacement.
    I am not familiar with your BOV or which Seacure would be an acceptable fit. I am willing to put good money on the chances that I could make it work. The Seacure may need to have the other end heated and formed better for your application. I have used and reused my original one for an apeks, dolphin, optima, revo, and it is currently on a meg. I put a new one on my Defender.
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

Hammerhead CCR diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike's Avatar
    HammerHead CCR

Sidekick & Others

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    I am not familiar with your BOV or which Seacure would be an acceptable fit. I am willing to put good money on the chances that I could make it work. The Seacure may need to have the other end heated and formed better for your application. I have used and reused my original one for an apeks, dolphin, optima, revo, and it is currently on a meg. I put a new one on my Defender.
    Don....

Which Seacure are you using?

Thanks!

Mark

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by diverklondike  View Original Post
    Don....

Which Seacure are you using?

Thanks!

Mark
    My original one was a 2 and I think the new one is a 5.
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

Pending

The Hollis BOV has a retaining lip on the tube that is not continuous all the way around the tube and appears to be thinner/lower profile than any of my regulators or VDH DSV. I don't know why Hollis did this because I would imagine that it is going to be harder to get a seal and be less secure, both things that are pretty important on this item?
    I will pick up a Poseidon Mk7 mouthpiece next month in Florida and see if that helps.

RBW Member gsxr1997 is an unknown quantity at this point gsxr1997's Avatar

I had same problem (seacure,ShrimpBOV)
    aquaseal and ziptie did the trick.

RBW Member Daviesjez is an unknown quantity at this point Daviesjez's Avatar
    JJ in May 2011!

A few wraps of self amalgamating tape around the BOV mouthpiece orafice and then tie wrap the mouthpiece over this. Works a treat, no messing with silicone and can be removed with a knife very easily should you wish to replace at any time. Use this on my GG BOV using the original JJ mouthpiece ( which i like ), which was however slightly too large for the GG. Never budged, leaked etc...

Helium is addictive! Blomman has a spectacular aura about Blomman has a spectacular aura about Blomman has a spectacular aura about Blomman has a spectacular aura about Blomman has a spectacular aura about Blomman's Avatar

Keep in mind that the mouthpiece also affects the WOB. Some mouthpieces are a lot smaller than others. I don't know about the SeaCure mouthpiece but you should compare it with good ones like Poseidon's and Divex "Lars". Go for the one that will give the best WOB. I use Divex "Lars" and in the begining it feels like you have become a fluffer boy

Pending

I looked at the Divex and unless I read incorrectly it is made if delrin, that doesn't sound too comfortable and maybe not easily tightened to seal on the BOV tube?
    I think for now Ill stick with a rubber option and try the Poseidon version next month!

Helium is addictive! Blomman has a spectacular aura about Blomman has a spectacular aura about Blomman has a spectacular aura about Blomman has a spectacular aura about Blomman has a spectacular aura about Blomman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2.reefrat  View Original Post
    I looked at the Divex and unless I read incorrectly it is made if delrin, that doesn't sound too comfortable and maybe not easily tightened to seal on the BOV tube?
    I think for now Ill stick with a rubber option and try the Poseidon version next month!
    The Divex mouthpiece is made of some kind of rubber, same as the Poseidon mouthpiece. Both of them are good, pick the one you can get hold of. Here is a pic of the Divex mouthpiece.

Capture.jpg

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast