+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: best value CCR

All IMVHO obviously... Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field's Avatar
    NVMCCR Inspiration

Classic KISS, Sport KISS

Re: best value CCR

Built my own NVCCR Inspiration, the best WOB bits that are readily available with simple Shearwater (just the one monitor, one wire- KISS) Needle valve recently replaced a orifice, best move ever for ease of use. Own BMCL's and alibox to complete the unit. Never actually bought a unit just assembled it from bits- Ebay for the win

I started on a Classic KISS, good but I other than the obvious WOB deficiencies it was, I felt- not as well made as it could be, too much close proximity Ali and SS leading to corrosion and weird non-metric parts. Genius concept but the execution was limited by the small manufacturer, why they haven't made a Gen2 I'm not sure.

IMO Too many people buy Rebreathers like White goods and expect ipad performance, Toyota reliability... the real worlds not like that, its dive gear- you need to be able to fix or swap out (cheap) parts on a boat, in the rain, while queasy... K.I.S.S. (the acronym, not Jetsam
    5 computers with 12 cells and 19 batteries will F*ck you sooner or later, electronics always does... 1 computer, 1 battery and 3 sensors has an almost identical failure rate, same failure mode, same bailout procedure but 1/10th the hassle to fix.

All in my humble experience of course....

RBW Member TommyGun is an unknown quantity at this point TommyGun's Avatar
    UTD MXZ-MCCR (Kiss)

KISS Classic here, MCCR, no needle valve or adv.. easy as ever to service.

RBW Member Goferrin99 is an unknown quantity at this point Goferrin99's Avatar
    Nil

+1 for the KISS Classic. There are dirt cheap now on the used market so it's hard to go past them in terms of value for money purchasing or long term running costs

I'm not a fan boy - as said above the build quality is crap and the factory back up is a joke but they are so bullet proof who cares. If you break it (mine has never died of its own accord but I have damaged components through no fault of the unit), just buy the replacement parts of a reseller. In the field I've never lost a dive and all"repairs" have been done with a bigger hammer.

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Quote Originally Posted by Goferrin99  View Original Post
    +1 for the KISS Classic. There are dirt cheap now on the used market
    If only they were. But I can still buy a fully functional AP Classic for half what I've seen any KISS on the market for.

Acme Serpentine Lubricant lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Field  View Original Post
    Built my own NVCCR Inspiration, the best WOB bits that are readily available with simple Shearwater (just the one monitor, one wire- KISS) Needle valve recently replaced a orifice, best move ever for ease of use. Own BMCL's and alibox to complete the unit. Never actually bought a unit just assembled it from bits- Ebay for the win

I started on a Classic KISS, good but I other than the obvious WOB deficiencies it was, I felt- not as well made as it could be, too much close proximity Ali and SS leading to corrosion and weird non-metric parts. Genius concept but the execution was limited by the small manufacturer, why they haven't made a Gen2 I'm not sure.

IMO Too many people buy Rebreathers like White goods and expect ipad performance, Toyota reliability... the real worlds not like that, its dive gear- you need to be able to fix or swap out (cheap) parts on a boat, in the rain, while queasy... K.I.S.S. (the acronym, not Jetsam
    5 computers with 12 cells and 19 batteries will F*ck you sooner or later, electronics always does... 1 computer, 1 battery and 3 sensors has an almost identical failure rate, same failure mode, same bailout procedure but 1/10th the hassle to fix.

All in my humble experience of course....
    That was my thinking too. I really fancy a simple Inspo, gut it, simple monitoring and o2 add. Life got in the way though.

Totally agree on the KISS. All the same reasons I traded mine. Stainless screws into a plastic thread on a production unit?

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Photographer & Journalist John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard's Avatar
    rEvo II Mini Hybrid

The question is best value. Not cheapest operating costs or best reliability or best new. So despite personally being a committed rEvo owner, for getting a cheap re-breather best value would be something like a second hand ancient, used and dead inspiration with the electronics swapped out for a needle valve and a 3 cell monitor kit such as KISS or Oxycheck.

If spending a bit more, add a Shearwater (or one of the equivalent newcomers) to monitor the cells.

In other words, pretty much what Ben Field has done.

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

I have seen several used rEvos sell for under $3000. That is a great deal.
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by dreamdive  View Original Post
    I am certified on 8 units.

Of all of them, the rEvo is the most versatile and reliable. Was in Truk and had a solenoid failure - so what....you run it manually (which is how I run it most of the time now anyway).

Dropped my Shearwater in the water bucket without screwing on the battery plug, flooded it...I had two dreams on that unit, added a cell on each, and continued diving.

This is my 5th rEvo. I simply keep coming back to it. I dropped the Dreams but have a NERD which gives me the same flexibility if I loose my Shearwater handset primary.

I know that some people feel that running 5 cells is overkill and I am NOT interested starting a discussion on that. PERSONALLY, if I loose one or even two cells while traveling...not a dive killer. (Looking forward to the steady state O2 sensor for the future, though).

C

Errrrrr did the other four break

SOunds like Triggers Broom :)

PS I know its a good unit but the post had oxymoron all over it

RBW Member cb1 is an unknown quantity at this point cb1's Avatar
    rEvo iii

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Chase  View Original Post
    Errrrrr did the other four break

SOunds like Triggers Broom :)

PS I know its a good unit but the post had oxymoron all over it
    For those who may not know Trigger!