+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: best value CCR

RBW Member Nubium is an unknown quantity at this point Nubium's Avatar
    Liberty

Dolphin,Megalodon,rEvo

best value CCR

Hi All,
    I have already had 3 different types of CCR. I am tired of things not working as they should , even on fairly new CCR's. I know that CCR diving is expensive. I would like info on simple, rock solid reliable units that are very good value. I know there has been many posts looking for "cheap" CCR's , I am not looking for cheap but the best value and most reliable.

Has anyone changed from eCCR to mCCR and not liked it and changed back? Or when you get used to a mCCR its the way forward? Customer service incase of problems is important to me.

I have had a Meg, a HCCR rEvo with RMS (had problems with RMS) and I'm now on a Liberty eCCR.

Im looking forward to you different point of view.

Thanks
    Doug

rEvo Shearwater tony13 has a spectacular aura about tony13 has a spectacular aura about tony13 has a spectacular aura about tony13 has a spectacular aura about tony13 has a spectacular aura about tony13's Avatar
    rEvo

Re: best value CCR

rEvo mCCR. I'm on 10 years with mine with no issues. The other one that comes to my mind is the classic KISS. I'm a strong believer in the less bells and whistles the better.

RBW Member JohnnyC is an unknown quantity at this point JohnnyC's Avatar

I have a Meg and a Pelagian. Honestly I find myself strapping on the Pelagion 9 times out of 10. Needle valve mCCR is the way to go. It's dirt simple to use and maintain, and it has never failed me. It's also dirt cheap in comparison.

Underwater Journal Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns's Avatar
    KISS Explorer & Spirit LTE

KIS Sport, KISS GEM, Dolphin

I would through in a KISS Classic as well. Besides being an mCCR, there is almost nothing you can not address in the field with this rebreather, which can count for a lot when you are hundreds of miles away from home. Been diving one since 2009 with zero mechanical or electronic issues. Currently using a needle valve on mine.
    Walt Stearns
    Editor-in-Chief
    www.UnderwaterJournal.com

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

You havent found a meg reliable?

Between my dive buddy and I, we have over 1000 hours on our units, and have never missed a dive.

Now we are very religious about tearing the unit down and cleaning it.

RBW Member Nubium is an unknown quantity at this point Nubium's Avatar
    Liberty

Dolphin,Megalodon,rEvo

Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate it.

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

I went form a Dolphin SCR to an Optima ECCR. i really wanted to get a kkrEvo but was scared of the MCCR due to having had to run an ECCR manually in training. When rEvo finally introduced the HCCR with SW on it, I was all over it. after experience with a leaky valve in manual mode I stopped using ECCR totally except as a parachute. I have now moved to a Defender ECCR but but a needle valve on it and run it manually also after finding I no longer care for how an ECCR works.

I have to ditto Tony's previous reply that a manual rEvo would be my preference for your inquiry. rEvo is without a doubt the fastest and easiest to build, clean, or tear down.
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

Atitlanccr is an unknown quantity at this point Atitlanccr's Avatar
    Evolution Plus

Classic Inspiration

I have been diving a inspiration/ evolution since
    2001 and had little or no issues.

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

I have had Inspo Classic, Inspo Hammerhead, KISS Classic, rEvo Hybrid and JJ

Most reliable? KISS by far but not the greatist WOB but it has to be said I only ever noticed that cave diveing (IE finning for hours)

Easy to work on? rEvo by far but a bit heavy and has some minor niggles.

Best all round unit? JJ by far but despite my one being older its super reliable. I am aware that if the handset goes its not an in the field fix. The new JJs have plug and play capabuility, but a spare hand set is damed expensive and all those electronics that can go wrong generaly do in the end.

Currently diveing a JJ with a needle valve and just running the ECCR bit as back up.

ATB

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

I am certified on 8 units.

Of all of them, the rEvo is the most versatile and reliable. Was in Truk and had a solenoid failure - so what....you run it manually (which is how I run it most of the time now anyway).

Dropped my Shearwater in the water bucket without screwing on the battery plug, flooded it...I had two dreams on that unit, added a cell on each, and continued diving.

This is my 5th rEvo. I simply keep coming back to it. I dropped the Dreams but have a NERD which gives me the same flexibility if I loose my Shearwater handset primary.

I know that some people feel that running 5 cells is overkill and I am NOT interested starting a discussion on that. PERSONALLY, if I loose one or even two cells while traveling...not a dive killer. (Looking forward to the steady state O2 sensor for the future, though).

C