+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Using a second CCR for your bailout

RBW Member Nubium is an unknown quantity at this point Nubium's Avatar
    Liberty

Dolphin,Megalodon,rEvo

Using a second CCR for your bailout

Hi all,
    As the title says. I want to know more info on using a second ccr as a bailout. Anyone do this ? What are your thoughts?

Thanks
    Doug

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Re: Using a second CCR for your bailout

Quote Originally Posted by Nubium  View Original Post
    Hi all,
    As the title says. I want to know more info on using a second ccr as a bailout. Anyone do this ? What are your thoughts?

Thanks
    Doug
    I think I'd need to be regularly diving past 100m and / or deep into caves before I could justifie the faf, task loading, cost and risks

RBW Member michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch's Avatar
    SF2, IDA76, Flex

AH1

A year and a half ago I had the same idea. In March I finally got the Flex RB that I decided to build my BOB around. It took me around 3-4 months of diving one day a week before I had everything rigged the way I wanted it rigged, and another couple of months before I was comfortable on ascent controlling 2 counterlungs, a drysuit and my wing. Now it's become a pleasure to just take the selfcontained BOB along instead of carrying multiple stages.
    I'm not sorry I went this route

Michael

RBW Member Nubium is an unknown quantity at this point Nubium's Avatar
    Liberty

Dolphin,Megalodon,rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by michael-fisch  View Original Post
    A year and a half ago I had the same idea. In March I finally got the Flex RB that I decided to build my BOB around. It took me around 3-4 months of diving one day a week before I had everything rigged the way I wanted it rigged, and another couple of months before I was comfortable on ascent controlling 2 counterlungs, a drysuit and my wing. Now it's become a pleasure to just take the selfcontained BOB along instead of carrying multiple stages.
    I'm not sorry I went this route

Michael
    Yes, Thats my idea. so you have no OC bailout at all? I hate the limits of OC bailout. So it is a lot of hassle with all the air spaces?

RBW Member michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch's Avatar
    SF2, IDA76, Flex

AH1

Quote Originally Posted by Nubium  View Original Post
    Yes, Thats my idea. so you have no OC bailout at all? I hate the limits of OC bailout. So it is a lot of hassle with all the air spaces?
    No OC Bailout!
    SF2 backmounted with 3L 300Bar diluent, 3L 300Bar O2 and a 2L 250Bar Argon for the suit.
    Flex with 1.5L 300Bar diluent, and 1.5L 300Bar O2 mounted lengthwise on top of the Flex, carried sidemounted on my left side, DSV is attached to a velcro tab on a strap around my neck.

Michael

SF2, IDA76, Flex

AH1

Learning how to manage both counterlungs on a faster ascent near the surface along with suit and wing, wasn't the easiest thing I've ever done, and it took more than 20 dives to get comfortable with it.
    BTW, I really like how the Flex breathes.

Michael

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg

More than one thread has discussed having dual CCRs and switching back and forth throughout the dive so you know they are both viable vs having a 2nd you only use in a BO situation (only to find it flooded or somehow non functional).

RBW Member David Street is an unknown quantity at this point David Street's Avatar
    Modified Inspiration Vision

Sidemount DS-SM200

Take a look at the Dive Systems Proteus. It's a multifunctional unit that started life as a sidemount bailout rebreather.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

RBW Member AQUANOMAD is an unknown quantity at this point AQUANOMAD's Avatar
    rEvo FT

Inspiration, Evolution

Also considering this dual rebs. Often at the 100m range exploring and dont have the team or top side support for drop bottles. Goal is to switch throughout the dive verifying functionality. I work in the water so side mounting one might get messy. I have been looking into dual back mounts and there seems to be options. I was set on a side kick but Kim recently informed me that it is a sm only unit. Not sure what makes it different than any other can with a housed cl. SF2, Flex, White Arrow, and the Proteous seem to be viable options. Also considering sticking with my rEvo and fitting a Sidewinder but not sure about the sw cls and routing all the bits. Is anyone diving a WA or Proteous? My dream dual reb was dual Sidekicks with inconels on the bottom.

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

I originally built my BOB as a completely self contained SM RB and used it successfully on many dives before taking it deep in a cave. I quickly found that the small DIL tank would barely keep up with the CL demand and a purely BOB. I then plumbed in for offboard DIL on these dives with the onboard DIL tank valve closed so it could still be handed off and be self contained. I have used it several times without breathing the loop until the very end of the dive. All good so far but I do monitor the loop PO2 via a HUD during the dive to make sure it remains breathable at all times. The OPV will burp if I do not vent it soon enough on ascent and the noise is horrendous when it does, enough for dirty undies anyway.
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast