+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Why You Want to Stay on Your Loop AFTER the Dive

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

Re: Why You Want to Stay on Your Loop AFTER the Dive

Quote Originally Posted by PeterVICEG  View Original Post
    Thank you Claudia. Very interesting and new information to me. Not however a new practice to me. My instructor for my first Meg course encouraged staying on the loop after the dive.

We do a fair bit of shore diving up here and it just seemed to make sense to avail oneself of the O2 rich mix not just in the water but also while trudging up from the shore line back to the car. My rig at that time was an MCCR and one had to keep on the green button when near or at the surface.

Perhaps a bit of a tangent, but I remain amazed and concerned at how many other divers after reasonably long dives with some deco are humping their stuff up the hill and into the car with no break. I am usually the last up and I dump my rig and wander up to disrobe. Then I like to move things up after a bit and drink and BS with my buddies and don't rush anything. If the dive is big with significant deco, i pad my last stop, dump all loads as soon as possible, and often will suck up some O2 just because I have it and once out of the water I see no downside unless I am spending a bunch of days doing longish dives.

On the other hand I am often running a more aggressive GF than much younger divers and I am prepared to run quite long run times. So what do I know?
    Thanks for your contribution Peter. Safe diving :)

Quote Originally Posted by PeterVICEG  View Original Post
    Thank you Claudia. Very interesting and new information to me. Not however a new practice to me. My instructor for my first Meg course encouraged staying on the loop after the dive.

We do a fair bit of shore diving up here and it just seemed to make sense to avail oneself of the O2 rich mix not just in the water but also while trudging up from the shore line back to the car. My rig at that time was an MCCR and one had to keep on the green button when near or at the surface.

Perhaps a bit of a tangent, but I remain amazed and concerned at how many other divers after reasonably long dives with some deco are humping their stuff up the hill and into the car with no break. I am usually the last up and I dump my rig and wander up to disrobe. Then I like to move things up after a bit and drink and BS with my buddies and don't rush anything. If the dive is big with significant deco, i pad my last stop, dump all loads as soon as possible, and often will suck up some O2 just because I have it and once out of the water I see no downside unless I am spending a bunch of days doing longish dives.
    Well, I am a noob compared to you, but I'd guess that given peak bubbles is about 45 minutes after the dive, delaying the gear carrying to that point is worse than doing it right after the dive?

If I know that I have a lot of carrying or stairs to do, I tend to pad the last stop a good bit.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Cognitive surrender TopLeft is an unknown quantity at this point TopLeft's Avatar
    Evolution+

Evolution

Claudia,

Thanks for the article. Nice to be reminded with facts what your instructor pushed.

Quote Originally Posted by TopLeft  View Original Post
    Claudia,

Thanks for the article. Nice to be reminded with facts what your instructor pushed.
    yes, but he probably pushed it for different yet equally valid reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by TheData  View Original Post
    Well, I am a noob compared to you, but I'd guess that given peak bubbles is about 45 minutes after the dive, delaying the gear carrying to that point is worse than doing it right after the dive?

If I know that I have a lot of carrying or stairs to do, I tend to pad the last stop a good bit.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    The other thing to do is either to become (if not already) or to stay fit aerobically. If you look at the report, IPAVA opened during a VO2 max of 62-78% in the study group.

Most of us don't have the luxury of having someone else deal with our gear (although that is a serious consideration for long deco dives) but see how you manage your gear without exerting yourself too much.

C

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2