Thread: Why You Want to Stay on Your Loop AFTER the Dive

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

Why You Want to Stay on Your Loop AFTER the Dive

Why You Want to Stay on Your Loop AFTER the Dive
    December 28, 2016
    |
    I recently summarized a 2013 article about IPAVA (Intrapulmonary Arterio-Venous Anastomoses) shunting bubbles from the right side to the left thus risking type II DCS. Further review on this topic revealed more articles and discussions within the science community. My goal is to summarize and relate their findings for you.

There is compelling evidence that EVERY diver is susceptible to having a right to left shunt WITHOUT also having a PFO (Persistent Foramen Ovale) and that opening of these IPAVA may explain why some of us experience “undeserved hits”.

The full article can be accessed via the link below on the non-for-profit TRERO website:

http://www.trero.org/single-post/201...AFTER-the-Dive

Reads fine print (mostly) Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather's Avatar
    MEGALODON MK15.5

BMR500 IDA71 IDA64 RGUFM AKA60

Re: Why You Want to Stay on Your Loop AFTER the Dive

Great summary. This goes to show why the old saying "The last decompression stop is at the surface" is truly valid. Perhaps it should be modified to "on the boat".

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar
    rEvo FT / Hollis P-2/ rEvo lll

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

Dear Claudia,

Thank you once again. More great information. Thank you and wishing you a happy new year.

What is your opinion about divers that get off the loop as soon as they come to the surface, and get off the loop, do long surface swim back to the boat off their loop.

Some instructors teach, " get of the loop as soon as you surface" "some teach, stay on the loop during the surface swim back to the boat"

Best regards,
    Chett. L

Quote Originally Posted by Chett.L  View Original Post
    Dear Claudia,

Thank you once again. More great information. Thank you and wishing you a happy new year.

What is your opinion about divers that get off the loop as soon as they come to the surface, and get off the loop, do long surface swim back to the boat off their loop.

Some instructors teach, " get of the loop as soon as you surface" "some teach, stay on the loop during the surface swim back to the boat"

Best regards,
    Hello Chett,

Thank you and a very happy and healthy new year to you.

Regarding your question, I wonder what the rational is getting off the loop as soon as you hit the surface. I can't see it.

C

I like diving chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter's Avatar
    Mk15.5, Mk15

Inpisspiration, KISS

I can see the logic of getting off the loop at the surface to avoid hypoxia. I have seen more than one person get into dangerous territory as the result of task loading and not paying attention to readings. People generally feel safe at the surface, which contributes to the problem. That being said, I do believe in the benefits of staying on the loop following a decompression dive if it can be done safely.

Aloha,
    Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by chunter  View Original Post
    I can see the logic of getting off the loop at the surface to avoid hypoxia. I have seen more than one person get into dangerous territory as the result of task loading and not paying attention to readings. People generally feel safe at the surface, which contributes to the problem. That being said, I do believe in the benefits of staying on the loop following a decompression dive if it can be done safely.

Aloha,
    Charlie
    Thanks Charlie,
    Guess it's more of an issue if you have a manual unit, good point!

C

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

That said, if you're in the habit of flushing the loop with O2 from 6m up or at least manually maintaining a high setpoint it's hard to get hypoxic. Even just waiting on the mermaid line, then getting fins off and ready to climb the ladder, I find my loop volume drops to the point where I can't get a full breath. It's a pretty insistent reminder to top it up regardless of whether your computer has turned itself off etc.

RBW Member PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG's Avatar
    Meg

Fenzy PO68 Dolphin

Thank you Claudia. Very interesting and new information to me. Not however a new practice to me. My instructor for my first Meg course encouraged staying on the loop after the dive.

We do a fair bit of shore diving up here and it just seemed to make sense to avail oneself of the O2 rich mix not just in the water but also while trudging up from the shore line back to the car. My rig at that time was an MCCR and one had to keep on the green button when near or at the surface.

Perhaps a bit of a tangent, but I remain amazed and concerned at how many other divers after reasonably long dives with some deco are humping their stuff up the hill and into the car with no break. I am usually the last up and I dump my rig and wander up to disrobe. Then I like to move things up after a bit and drink and BS with my buddies and don't rush anything. If the dive is big with significant deco, i pad my last stop, dump all loads as soon as possible, and often will suck up some O2 just because I have it and once out of the water I see no downside unless I am spending a bunch of days doing longish dives.

On the other hand I am often running a more aggressive GF than much younger divers and I am prepared to run quite long run times. So what do I know?

RBW Member P-A is an unknown quantity at this point P-A's Avatar
    Pelagian DCCCR

Quote Originally Posted by dreamdive  View Original Post
    Thanks Charlie,
    Guess it's more of an issue if you have a manual unit, good point!

C
    This is dangerous for both manual and electronic units. Some older ECCR units shut down after a while in surface mode. There is also the issue of waves triggering ADV which can lead to trouble if you are using a low O2 mix. We have had plenty of deaths and near death incidents caused by rebreather divers staying on a loop that's becomming hypoxic.

It's a skill to know when to stay on the loop and when to leave it on surfacing.

Quote Originally Posted by P-A  View Original Post
    This is dangerous for both manual and electronic units. Some older ECCR units shut down after a while in surface mode. There is also the issue of waves triggering ADV which can lead to trouble if you are using a low O2 mix. We have had plenty of deaths and near death incidents caused by rebreather divers staying on a loop that's becomming hypoxic.

It's a skill to know when to stay on the loop and when to leave it on surfacing.
    Good to know P-A, thank you.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast