+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bringing JJ into Iceland- Anyone with experience?

RBW Member rdevanney is an unknown quantity at this point rdevanney's Avatar

Bringing JJ into Iceland- Anyone with experience?

Hi,

I live in Iceland, and am having a new JJ delivered to Malta in March 2017, where I'll be doing my level 1 and 2 before bringing back to Reykjavik. For anyone that isn't aware, Icelandic customs are renowned for holding items back and seemingly charging whatever they want. They are entitled to charge for personal dive gear.

Whilst I am hoping that by carrying the head in hand luggage and trying to not look suspicious may allow me to just waltz through customs, I am better served by finding out as much info beforehand, in case I do get stopped. I am pretty loathe to scuff up the unit but I do know that this will help me "prove" it's not brand new.

So my question is, as most posts regarding packing and customs seem to be U.S. centric, does anyone have any experience of bringing a unit into Iceland?

Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated, including wording of any notes to the baggage checkers.

Photographer & Journalist John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard's Avatar
    rEvo II Mini Hybrid

Re: Bringing JJ into Iceland- Anyone with experience?

Not Iceland, but my experience with UK.

Stress it is 'personal safety equipment' or 'personal protective equipment'.

For the handset, never say 'dive computer' as computers have high duty.

Always say things like 'decompression safety monitor' and 'oxygen safety controller'.

RBW Member michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch's Avatar
    SF2, IDA76, Flex

AH1

If you know anyone in Iceland that has a similar unit, wear it for a few pictures next to your car with Icelandic license plates at a popular dive site in Iceland. Labeling it with a label with your name on it is also advisable for the pictures. Now put an identical but more scuffed up label on the JJ that you will be bringing back to Iceland.
    That can be used to prove that the unit was already in Iceland in your posession and is used.

Mail any paperwork that you get with the JJ to yourself in Iceland, do not hand carry any paperwork that indicates that it is either new or has never been in Iceland.
    Having brass balls while you are talking to customs and showing them pictures of you with your JJ in Iceland certainly cannot hurt.

Michael

RBW Member michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch's Avatar
    SF2, IDA76, Flex

AH1

If you get caught smuggling, expect to have the unit seized, and you'll also end up paying a fine of a couple of times the normal import duty.

Don't get caught!

Michael

RBW Member rdevanney is an unknown quantity at this point rdevanney's Avatar

Thanks guys, some handy tips there. No doubt 2 long ocean dives per day for 3 weeks will create a few scuffs, and i'll take over my own backplate and harness- they look ancient. Will definitely get some photos taken as you said.

Would be great to know how they ultimately decide when to charge and when not to, and how much. Also whether something looking older makes any difference. It seems the cost here is 24% of the purchase cost. Everyone I know here just walked through. Just the luck of the draw I guess.

+ Reply to Thread