+ Reply to Thread

Thread: US military Emerson Oxygen Rebreather

Thinker n Tinkerer Sparedone is an unknown quantity at this point Sparedone's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz

Bp240/bmr500, BG174

US military Emerson Oxygen Rebreather

Just a note of interest.

Came across an Emerson today under the care of a navy seal of the nam era. On display at his shop in dive ready condition.

Can't match it online to any details, the Emerson scr has similar appearance.

I'll be back to visit him again but wanted to learn more prior. Doubtful I can take photos but it is in excellent condition. Thumb screw on a gas block below the right counterlung for the o2 rate. Training MOD 50ft he mentioned.

Anyone with some documentation for me?

Regards,
    Cameron

RBW Member Franck13 is an unknown quantity at this point Franck13's Avatar
    Vision Inspiration all options

kiss poseidon lard ....

Re: US military Emerson Oxygen Rebreather

Hi

Cameron i didn't know this model it's the same family that MK25 rebreather?

Marines with the 3rd Reconnaissance Battalion (3rd Recon) wear MK 25 rebreathers during combatant diver and beach reconnaissance training

Franck

Quote Originally Posted by Sparedone  View Original Post
    Just a note of interest.

Came across an Emerson today under the care of a navy seal of the nam era. On display at his shop in dive ready condition.

Can't match it online to any details, the Emerson scr has similar appearance.

I'll be back to visit him again but wanted to learn more prior. Doubtful I can take photos but it is in excellent condition. Thumb screw on a gas block below the right counterlung for the o2 rate. Training MOD 50ft he mentioned.

Anyone with some documentation for me?

Regards,
    Cameron

RBW Member SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK's Avatar

A quick google came up with this:

http://archive.rubicon-foundation.org/3886

The oxygen SCUBA developed under specification requirements of BUSHIPS contract NOBS 88357 was evaluated through a series of laboratory tests of individual components and subjective tests of the complete assembly. The contract called for inclusion of mechanical features not previously included in U.S. Navy designed equipment. These features were a hydrostatically balanced demand system 3000 psi oxygen cylinder with half bottle pressure reserve, breathing bags of dipped neoprene late construction gas control to consist of demand valve, needle control set for .9 of a liter and a by-pass capability of the swimmer to cut the demand system out of the circuit when necessary. The apparatus was found to be capable of supporting a diver's oxygen requirements and removal of carbon dioxide for more than three hours. Various components were recommended for inclusion in future apparatus. Other recommendations were made to alter component design where found appropriate. (Author)

Note: You will need the appropriate tattoos before diving it

RBW Member Franck13 is an unknown quantity at this point Franck13's Avatar
    Vision Inspiration all options

kiss poseidon lard ....

Talking Re: US military Emerson Oxygen Rebreather

Bonjour Simon

Thank you for the link Simon for the rebreather of Cameron also looks like one LAR V no?

Franck (student too in rebreathers and anothers materials scubadiving)

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK  View Original Post

The oxygen SCUBA developed under specification requirements of BUSHIPS contract NOBS 88357 was evaluated through a series of laboratory tests of individual components and subjective tests of the complete assembly. The contract called for inclusion of mechanical features not previously included in U.S. Navy designed equipment. These features were a hydrostatically balanced demand system 3000 psi oxygen cylinder with half bottle pressure reserve, breathing bags of dipped neoprene late construction gas control to consist of demand valve, needle control set for .9 of a liter and a by-pass capability of the swimmer to cut the demand system out of the circuit when necessary. The apparatus was found to be capable of supporting a diver's oxygen requirements and removal of carbon dioxide for more than three hours. Various components were recommended for inclusion in future apparatus. Other recommendations were made to alter component design where found appropriate. (Author)

Last edited by Franck13; 18th December 2016 at 15:45.

RBW Member SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK's Avatar

Franck
    The Emerson rebreathers are back mounted with over the shoulder lungs, see pictures of their SCR from Therebreathersite.nl:

http://www.therebreathersite.nl/10_S...rebreather.htm

Thinker n Tinkerer Sparedone is an unknown quantity at this point Sparedone's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz

Bp240/bmr500, BG174

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK  View Original Post

Thank you for tracking that pdf down for me, as always an interesting read. Nice to see their offical reg testing to 75ft was unmanned.

That's the unit it appears the SEAL plankowner has in his shop.

Warm regards,
    Cameron

RBW Member udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn's Avatar
    prism,larv/tubx,leba54,dolphin

mk15,lar vII, ray

I dove the Emerson "death rig" when I was in the service for sh&ts and giggles , it was introduced to the teams after the Pirelli rig ........but it anit no lar that's for sure ......steve pS what plank holder was it Rudy ?

PRISM Topaz

Bp240/bmr500, BG174

Quote Originally Posted by udtabn  View Original Post
    I dove the Emerson "death rig" when I was in the service for sh&ts and giggles , it was introduced to the teams after the Pirelli rig ........but it anit no lar that's for sure ......steve pS what plank holder was it Rudy ?
    Did they become standard equipment in Canada as well for a while?

And here's a pile of questions if you like: Was it lacking the lar build quality? How did it breath? Any advantages of it's over the shoulder lungs? The gas block interested me.

Regards,
    Cameron

Ps. Private message regarding the gentleman in question.

RBW Member 2.reefrat is an unknown quantity at this point 2.reefrat's Avatar
    Pending

Looks like it may have been a source of inspiration for Steam Machines!

Escaped... Lab Rat is an unknown quantity at this point Lab Rat's Avatar
    Meg Driver

Quote Originally Posted by Sparedone  View Original Post
    Did they become standard equipment in Canada as well for a while?

And here's a pile of questions if you like: Was it lacking the lar build quality? How did it breath? Any advantages of it's over the shoulder lungs? The gas block interested me.

Regards,
    Cameron

Ps. Private message regarding the gentleman in question.

There are a few of them around...I have spoken with several folks over the years who did dive them and loved them. Morgan Wells once told me it was one of the best breathers ever made if properly adjusted, but I never got a chance to dive a working one. Build quality was good on the 3-4 I have seen, but every one I have seen has degraded from time. Maybe the above poster can elaborate if he has dive time on it.

Personally, if I could sew, it might be worth rigging up an O2 version of one with a single sensor and dual 19s or 23s....one for supply and one for bailout. Be a cool shallow keys or Bahamas rig for the RIB.

-R

+ Reply to Thread