+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Road trip in Norway + Diving - Need advice

RBW Member airb is an unknown quantity at this point airb's Avatar
    rEvo 3 St

Road trip in Norway + Diving - Need advice

Hi all,

I’m gonna make a 3 weeks “road trip” in Norway with a motorhome.
    It’s with the family so not a diving trip as such but I’ll take my diving stuff and my sweet rebreather to discover the best Norwegian diving places.
    Will surely go to Gulen to dive the Frankenwald.
    We will not go up to Narvik ;-(

Which other place would be a “must” to dive knowing that I’ll limited myself with 5 to 6 dives.
    Shore dive, if any, are also welcome.

Tx

Rgds from Belgium

Re: Road trip in Norway + Diving - Need advice

Seems like a nice trip!! Enjoy!! :)

RBW Member jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold's Avatar
    rEvo III Micro FT

Pelagian DCCCR

Gulen is a very nice place to dive from.

I guess you are thinking about using Gulen Divecenter, which are excellent, but they usually require that you stay in their rooms. If you plan to stay in your motorhome, I guess the best way to do the diving would be via local dive-clubs.

Off the top of my head, for nice wrecks to dive in southern Norway:

Frankenwald (Gulen)
    Ferndale and Parat (Solund)a bargain, with two wrecks in one dive, and a shallow decostop with lots of small critters))
    Oldenburg aka Möwe (shore-dive)
    Welheim (Florø)
    Helga Ferdinand (Bremanger)
    Aquila (Bremanger)
    Ilse Fritzen (Eid, a basic shoredive)
    Begonia (Flåm)
    Felix Schäder (Åram)
    Konsul Carl Fisser (Ålesund)
    And many many more.

Also, for a very nice inland trip and shallow, beautiful freshwater dive: Lygnstøylsvatnet

http://www.dykkepedia.com/wiki/Kategori:Vestlandet
    This is the best guide that I am aware of for Norwegian diving. It is in Norwegian, but I hope google translate is friendly to you!

rEvo 3 St

Great

Tx Jlovold - I'll have a look at the different dive you advice and make my selection.

For Gulen, do you have a link (web) to the local dive center / On the web in English I just can find the "Gulen divecenter".

Tx

RBW Member jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold's Avatar
    rEvo III Micro FT

Pelagian DCCCR

This is Gulen Divecenters´homepage: http://www.gulendiveresort.com/

Unfortunately, I do not think there are any local diveclubs that do trips to Frankenwald (that I am aware of) The closest diveclub is this one: https://www.facebook.com/KorssundDykkeklubb/

rEvo 3 St

Tx
    I'll contact Gulen dive resort or try to meet them at the boot to discus the possibilities.

Oldenburg looks nice and easy. Is it " free entrance" or do a club manage the dive site ?
    Can you dive it alone / any specific Norvegian rules about that.
    Last but not least: any tide to care about for this wreck ?

For the Illse F, you say basic but it looks deeper (i'm still air diluant) ?

Tx

rEvo III Micro FT

Pelagian DCCCR

Quote Originally Posted by airb  View Original Post
    Tx
    I'll contact Gulen dive resort or try to meet them at the boot to discus the possibilities.

Oldenburg looks nice and easy. Is it " free entrance" or do a club manage the dive site ?
    Can you dive it alone / any specific Norvegian rules about that.
    Last but not least: any tide to care about for this wreck ?

For the Illse F, you say basic but it looks deeper (i'm still air diluant) ?

Tx
    Sorry, I mixed up. I meant Wartheland, not Ilse Fritzen: Max 21m depth. Easily accessible from the shore, while your travelmates can enjoy shopping :)

Oldenburg is nice and easy. You only pay a little for parking (they deserve that, as they have made a nice stairs for divers)

You can dive it alone, no problem. No tide or current to speak of, unless you swim into the river on the right side (from the wreck)

RBW Member rba is an unknown quantity at this point rba's Avatar
    rEvo

Take contact to this club if you want to dive in Gulen and it is more then half the price of what the divecenter takes and better service
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/459715234083407/

send me at PM if you need more info and if you want to see pictures from the wrecks http://www.uvgalleri.dk/
    Last edited by rba; 16th January 2017 at 03:47.

+ Reply to Thread