+ Reply to Thread

Thread: stiff AP BOV

RBW Member dickydg is an unknown quantity at this point dickydg's Avatar
    inspirition classic

stiff AP BOV

Im sure this will have already been covered but can somebody point me in the right direction of a thread discussing solutions to this problem.
    Basically My new AP BOV is very stiff, is there any way to remedy this

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Re: stiff AP BOV

Quote Originally Posted by dickydg  View Original Post
    Im sure this will have already been covered but can somebody point me in the right direction of a thread discussing solutions to this problem.
    Basically My new AP BOV is very stiff, is there any way to remedy this
    To find such a thread I'd end up using the same search engine that you can use. Generally it's more productive to use google and include the term "site:rebreatherworld.com" than it is to rely on the crappy vBulletin search engine on most forums.

I found that the o-ring grooves in the OCB's outer shell were too shallow and really smooshed the two o-rings into the inner barrel hard. Even switching from grease to silicone oil didn't help much. My solution was to turn down a bit of delrin rod so it just fit inside the barrel, then add an adjustable tooth of steel which could be extended when it was lined up with the groove. Skimming off 0.1-0.2mm of the back of the grooves has made an enormous difference to the ease of turning the OCB - it's a proper one handed operation now.

Downside is that, when it's been sitting in the shed a week, it'll leak a little after the first switch. Open and close it a couple times to get things sitting pretty and it's fine.

Kinda disappointing that for a bailout that breathes so well both on CC and OC, that is so nice and streamlined etc too, there are some tragic design flaws. The use of those pissy little screws to lock the hose ends in place, the other screw for limiting rotation travel and that gods-damned tightness of fit really let it down.

RBW Member dickydg is an unknown quantity at this point dickydg's Avatar
    inspirition classic

Re: stiff AP BOV

thanks for the info, will look into that solution. it makes sense.

+ Reply to Thread