+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Custom Extendair?

Hammerhead CCR diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike's Avatar
    HammerHead CCR

Sidekick & Others

Re: Custom Extendair?

Quote Originally Posted by Danseur  View Original Post
    First stop for any moisture in the loop is the sorb (sidewinder specifically).

If I was going to dive a Sidewinder on a regular basis, I would put a piece a hydrophobic membrane between the counterlung and the second scrubber. You could use a piece of "scrim" as AP calls it that they use with the Inspiration scrubber.

http://www.apdiving.com/shop/scrim-kit.html

RBW Member Danseur is an unknown quantity at this point Danseur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by diverklondike  View Original Post
    The SideKick is pretty good based on my experiences to date...
    Sidekick is currently my first choice. Just thinking things all the way through...

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg

The SideKick is pretty good based on my experiences to date...
    How are you clearing a partial flood?

Born Again Diver! Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w's Avatar
    Kiss, JJ

Ray, APOC, rEvo

I think micropore do a 4 inch cartridge, there were details somewhere, I think that would fit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All IMVHO obviously... Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field's Avatar
    NVMCCR Inspiration

Classic KISS, Sport KISS

First stop for any moisture in the loop is the sorb (sidewinder specifically).
    My first (owned) unit was a KISS Sport- had no water protection at all... but I had zero issues. While these units are "uncompromising" in their tolerance to front loop floods those are (IMVHO) almost totally diver error, either mid-dive or during assembly.

Fortunately since the units are only fit for recreational depths and have BOV's its not a particular issue IMO.

Be careful chasing your tail trying to eliminate all Possible issues and focus on a unit that removes the majority of Probably issues, otherwise you'll never go diving or end up with some POS ECCR with a million controllers and extra bottles and plug in nonsense... KISS, remove bits and remove problems till all that remain are unlikely and/or things that can be dealt with.

Hammerhead CCR diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike's Avatar
    HammerHead CCR

Sidekick & Others

Sidekick is currently my first choice. Just thinking things all the way through...
    Edd at Cave Adventures helped me get mine setup and more importantly trimmed out. He did an amazing job! I have been diving it with a Sphere for O2 and a 3L for Dil. I dropped my BOV while open into the water and flooded the rig by accident while gearing up and was able to flush it with no problem and then do a 3 hour dive. There are some pics on my FB page if you are interested.

HammerHead CCR

Sidekick & Others

Quote Originally Posted by rjack  View Original Post
    How are you clearing a partial flood?
    If your rig is set up properly with the OPV down when on your body its very straight forward. Just a matter of being slightly heads down and tilted to the left... Then you do a dil flush over pressurizing the loop through the OPV. The net is that its the same thing you would do on any OTS CCR rig or BMCL CCR rig other than the fact that your orientation is different for the location of the OPV.

This is a standard skil that would be taught in any full or crossover training.

RBW Member Kevin Leonhardt is an unknown quantity at this point Kevin Leonhardt's Avatar
    KISS Sidekick

If your rig is set up properly with the OPV down when on your body its very straight forward. Just a matter of being slightly heads down and tilted to the left... Then you do a dil flush over pressurizing the loop through the OPV. The net is that its the same thing you would do on any OTS CCR rig or BMCL CCR rig other than the fact that your orientation is different for the location of the OPV.

I’ve learned the hard way that the best orientation for the sidekick is to run the inhale/exhale towers in a vertical position, with the inhale at the top. This puts the exhale tower at the lowest position, and gives you a good flood alarm. In a proper swimming position you will hear gurgling with just a few ounces of water in the unit. Since the inhale is at the highest point it will require a greater amount of water in the unit to experience a caustic cocktail.

While having the OPV down is marginally easier to clear, what's the point if you lose the ability to notice a flood prior to inhaling caustic water?

Also, I created a water trap by wrapping the outside of the scrubber with a ShamWow type chamois. This material will absorb approximately 8 ounces of water. This has done an excellent job at absorbing the small amounts of spit and water that enter the DSV.

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg

Sorry I thought you were diving a sidewinder. As far as I can tell there's no trap between the exhale hose and exhaust side scrubber unless I'm just missing it in the pics I've seen. (haven't seen it in real life)

HammerHead CCR

Sidekick & Others

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Leonhardt  View Original Post
    I’ve learned the hard way that the best orientation for the sidekick is to run the inhale/exhale towers in a vertical position, with the inhale at the top. This puts the exhale tower at the lowest position, and gives you a good flood alarm. In a proper swimming position you will hear gurgling with just a few ounces of water in the unit. Since the inhale is at the highest point it will require a greater amount of water in the unit to experience a caustic cocktail.

While having the OPV down is marginally easier to clear, what's the point if you lose the ability to notice a flood prior to inhaling caustic water?

Also, I created a water trap by wrapping the outside of the scrubber with a ShamWow type chamois. This material will absorb approximately 8 ounces of water. This has done an excellent job at absorbing the small amounts of spit and water that enter the DSV.
    Thanks Kevin!!! I am doing exactly that! I may also try a putting a piece of "Scrim" on the bottom of the scrubber at some point like AP does with the Inspo... In the ShamWow are you doing a full wrap of the scrubber or just the bottom side?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast