+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need a booster or not?

RBW Member 2.reefrat is an unknown quantity at this point 2.reefrat's Avatar
    Pending

Need a booster or not?

OK, I live on a fairly remote island with great diving with no rebreather or tec divng suport(Grand Turk).
    I can (finally) access medical oxygen from another island at great expense and I am looking at the feasibility of filling my own O2 tanks for the purpose of buying/training on and diving an O2ptima here.
    The biggest O2 cylinders with the highest pressure I can get are 300 cubic ft at 2400 PSI, these are $120 USD to rent with a $300 deposit (shipping etc is another issue!)
    I have been trying to work out if I can get a reasonable number of 60 minute recreational profile dives out of one of these using an O2 whip or do I absolutely need to buy a booster?
    Obvious questions: what is the practical lower limit of O2 PSI I should take for a 2 dive day using a 20 cu/ft tank, I know that 3000 PSI is standard but allowing for an average O2 consumption rate and 2 x 60 minute dives would 2000 or even 1500 PSI work with a 500 psi safety margin?
    Otherwise I need to buy a booster!

RBW Member michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch's Avatar
    SF2, IDA76, Flex

AH1

Re: Need a booster or not?

Get the booster. You'll probaby want a couple of extra O2 tanks since boosting much over 3:1 takes time and huge quantities of drive gas.
    Procedure:
    Fill RB tank from the 2 or 3 highest pressured tanks.
    Fill the highest pressure cascade tank from the first tank that has a pressure above 1/3 of the pressure to fill tousing the booster, and then work your way down the various cascade tanks. you should be able to return O2 tanks to the gas dealer with less than 20Bar in them using a 4 tank cascade, and a booster.
    Michael

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Do some maths and work out how much each fill will drop your source cylinder pressure, this will give you an idea of what you're going to get out of a cylinder.

My instruction was to never start a dive with < 100 bar / 1500psi in either dil or o2. Which means you're paying all that money to hand back more than half a tank of O2 once the source gets that low.

If you don't have access to a decent air supply for running a gas booster, have a look and the hand cranked ones. Generally cheaper and they fill a 20 pretty smartly until the source pressure gets down around 50 bar - then it gets to be hard work :)

Also, given your situation, maybe it's worth considering an SCR and blending setup. That way you can suck the last drop out of those O2 cylinders...

Reads fine print (mostly) Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather's Avatar
    MEGALODON MK15.5

BMR500 IDA71 IDA64 RGUFM AKA60

Get a booster. You'll never look back.

Let's go diving! mpement will become famous soon enough mpement will become famous soon enough mpement will become famous soon enough mpement's Avatar
    Megalodon

Quote Originally Posted by Skipbreather  View Original Post
    Get a booster. You'll never look back.
    +1 (From Bonaire)

RBW Member 2.reefrat is an unknown quantity at this point 2.reefrat's Avatar
    Pending

"have a look and the hand cranked ones. Generally cheaper and they fill a 20 pretty smartly until the source pressure gets down around 50 bar - then it gets to be hard work :)"

I can't find any info on who sells these in the US and how much, any suggestions?

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

maximator.de lists one and has three dealers in the US. AFAIK these will run on air power or on a person swinging a handle if required.

Mine is a Drager, I'm not sure if they still make them. There's no drive piston on it, hand pump only.

RBW Member moose_grunt is an unknown quantity at this point moose_grunt's Avatar

Hydraulics international also make a mini booster with a hand pump option, although I think it's around the 2 grand mark. I looked a while ago, and I think Amron has it under that.

Alternatively, there's a guy on one of the home built ccr bacefook groups making and selling boosters out of Oz for something like $900.

I'm in more or less the same boat as you, except on a small Pacific island. I only pay $70 per tank of O2, but I'm still agonizing whether to pay the money for a booster, or accept the fact that I'll be starting a lot of dives with less than full tanks, and returning industrial cylinders half full.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Quote Originally Posted by moose_grunt  View Original Post
    Alternatively, there's a guy on one of the home built ccr bacefook groups making and selling boosters out of Oz for something like $900.
    Chris Kennedy. TFM Engineering kits them up and sells them with all the extra goodies you need, guessing either could look at a hand pump version.

RBW Member broncobowsher is on a distinguished road broncobowsher is on a distinguished road broncobowsher's Avatar
    TBD

With the expense and difficulty you have just getting the O2 it just makes sense to get a booster.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast