+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Carry breather on plane?

RBW Member whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot?'s Avatar
    MK15.5, MK25

Re: Carry breather on plane?

Quote Originally Posted by Gl1tchie  View Original Post
    My JJ came in a plastic box kind of like a pelican case.
    I pack it and anything else I can fit in there (soft gear provides some protection for the sensitive parts) up to the 32kg limit and check it in. Its cable tied closed with a note for security officers and spare cable ties for it to be closed up again.
    Haven't had a problem yet.

Am I being too trusting??

Dan
    Dan, from my point of view the bigger issue is how it is handled as baggage. It isn't a stretch to say most baggage gets knocked around quite a bit before it is returned to you. From conveyor belts and falling off the trucks to heavy handed baggage loaders the chance is greater for damage when it is out of your control. That's my main reason for never checking dive equipment when I travel commercially.

dive! dive! dive! mmarcoux is an unknown quantity at this point mmarcoux's Avatar
    rEvo 3 Micro FT RMS, JJ CCR

rEvo 3 Standard HCCR

From Mass to Palau all as carry-on...

No problem.

RBW Member doctormike is an unknown quantity at this point doctormike's Avatar
    JJ

I am flying for the first time with my JJ in the near future. I also dive with a DSLR in a Nauticam housing with dual strobes, so that makes it more complicated.

I have been going back and forth about this, whether to check everything, carry the assembled RB on the plane and put in overhead, or check some of it and carry the head and other delicate stuff in my carryon. I have asked EVERYBODY, including my instructor, several CCR celebrities (including at least one in this thread), Curt McNamee (the JJ and Shearwater US Distributor) and even Jan Petersen. I have received a wide range of advice, covering all of these options...

My main concern about just wearing the assembled CCR onto the plane was that unless I checked my camera, I would then have two big carryons. Sometimes there is limited space in the overhead compartment. With the camera bag, I could just gate check it in that case, but I really couldn't do that with a rebreather.

I'm still trying to figure this out, but I was able to pack into my ThinkTank carryon bag the following: head, controller, NERD, both regulators, housing, camera body and lens, strobes, cables, and the dome port.
    Attached Images

Born Again Diver! Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w's Avatar
    Kiss, JJ

Ray, APOC, rEvo

The spirit is so small and lightweight it can go in just about any carry on bag. Turn the scrubbers upside down and fit the other bits around them and the bov in the space at the bottom. The JJ I would sometimes take off the stand and put the can, with scrubber and head in in a small rucksack and the lungs BOV and hoses in as well. The rest in the hold. Now though, I throw it in a pelican case as I can't be bothered, don't fly through the US and to date haven't had a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RBW Member hattdiver is an unknown quantity at this point hattdiver's Avatar

not sure if anyone already said this but I carry my head with the computers in a backpack and will check the rest off the stuff

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3