+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: eliminate gauges for AI

RBW Member PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG's Avatar
    Meg

Fenzy PO68 Dolphin

Re: eliminate gauges for AI

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Field  View Original Post
    SPG's on CCR is like tits on a fish...

Button gauges to ensure you got the fill you paid for is fair enough, anything more is missguided holding onto an OC mindset, bin them and be free- you simply Do Not need them.
    Button gauges are crap. Lots of folks do more than one dive on a set of tanks.

Much as I like tits..

Hammerhead CCR diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike's Avatar
    HammerHead CCR

Sidekick & Others

I use button gauges simply so that I know an approximation as to what I am about to jump in the water with.

I regularly do more than one dive on a set of tanks.

For what it's worth I also fill all of my own tanks...

Dive Safe!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by PeterVICEG  View Original Post

Much as I like tits..

Steve Sprague 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster's Avatar
    rEvo

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB  View Original Post
    The first thing I thought with the Petrel AI is now I can eliminate gauges, but without external monitoring it's not worth it. But all the hoses on my rEvo bother me. Can someone who uses the button gauges clarify do you just connect them directly to your first stage then only check your gasses pre dive? Seems like a viable option for me except for any more extreme dives.
    On my rEvo I removed the stock on board dil gauge and Dream. I'm not comfortable getting into the water without a basic check of dil pressure, so I mounted a button gauge on the top grid. A short hose goes between the dil regulator and the button gauge. My reasoning is that I am carrying at least 40cf of perfectly good dil with a pressure gauge on it, so in essence that is my "real" dil gauge during the dive. On board dil is usually air. (On dives over 100 feet I turn my ADV off and use off board, the on board dill is only there to fill the wing and the dry suit.)

New Member Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza's Avatar
    Inspo Classic, JJ-CCR

Mk15.5, rEvo, Vision, Kiss,

Quote Originally Posted by PeterVICEG  View Original Post

Much as I like tits..
    First part nonsense - buy a good gauge and not some Chinese rubbish. A BG is just as sound as a normal SPG, its all down to quality.

Second part gibberish - ??? top marks for stating the bleeding obvious, your point being ???

BG's work ine in the CCR environment. The JJ proves it every time it is dived, pretty hard to read a JJ SPG without pulling it out. Once you've done that you will never get it back in place on the dive, so people just don't use them.

regards Baz

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

I will stick with my spgs, as they route nicely between my chest ctls. Easy to check. Part of the meg checklist is to pressurized the system, and watch for leakdown. Don't wanna deal with having to run the comp also.

I do use button gages on bo tanks, they last years if you get good ones. In 5 years I've replaced 2

RBW Member ECho is an unknown quantity at this point ECho's Avatar
    Meg

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Pack  View Original Post
    I will stick with my spgs, as they route nicely between my chest ctls. Easy to check. Part of the meg checklist is to pressurized the system, and watch for leakdown.
    +1

With the OTSC CL's on the Meg, the SPG's are unobtrusive and allow for the peace of mind afforded by being able to check for leaks in the pre-dive and, for me, knowing how much gas is in the onboard bottles, whenever I want.

RBW Member techintime is an unknown quantity at this point techintime's Avatar
    Revo III micro FT RMS

If I’m reading you correctly, the problem you are trying to solve is streamlining. I made a few mods to my revo for the same reason. PM me and I will give you the full run down if interested.

Staying on topic…I respectfully disagree on getting rid of the SPGs. In my streamlining efforts, the most perplexing problem was what to do with the Revo Dream/SPG blocks. I have two Dreams. I like the PO2 redundancy. If I could ask for one improvement to the Revo, it would be to miniaturize the dreams to about the same size as the SPGs. As a simple PO2 read out I don’t understand why they need to be so big. They are huge. I didn’t like them hanging free…they were in the way and I kept tangling them up with the stages on bottle rotations. I tried tucking them under the lower back plate on a bungee, but I couldn’t get to them quickly enough while diving. Tried clipping them off to the waist D-rings…OK, but more confusion on the critical left side especially with 2 stages and a leash. I wanted to keep the SPGs and both Dreams. The best rigging I could find was to bungee them to the shoulder harness straps, run them down to the chest D-ring and then run them under the harness to the inside just before the Chest D-rings. While diving I clip them off to the scooter ring on double enders. It is a little difficult to see them while clipped, but they are out to the way and easy to unclip and use when needed.

IMG_3918.JPG

RBW Member decostanza is an unknown quantity at this point decostanza's Avatar
    rEvoIII Ti

slight departure on the elimination of spg discussion...While this doesn't eliminate the spg's it did make things streamlined which is something I also guessed you were looking for. On a trip last week to FL to do some cave diving, my buds noticed that the lowest point on me was my Dream/SPG combo (I typically clip off to right waist d-ring). They merely suggested rigging to the MAV (stacking it so spg can be read when necessary)then cross-clipping both to my left chest D-ring. Easy to do,easy to read gauges and activate MAV and no more hanging equipment. Hope that helps...
    Don
    IMG_2388[1].jpgIMG_2389[1].jpg

RBW Member thetrickster is on a distinguished road thetrickster is on a distinguished road thetrickster's Avatar
    APD Evolution Vision

Well I fitted two 'old' Oceanic transmitters to my Vision (which is in a PLDT frame) - no hoses - straight into the 1st stages.

All works as advertised, both T1 and T2.

Wearing the Perdix on my right forearm, it only very occasionally warned me to lost connection to T1 (Dil), moving my arm towards my chest it got the signal back.

As its only there for reference and not actually needed - I'm happy with that.

Button Gauges too. For me these gauges are the easiest to use before jumping in the water. No complains about this!

Regards,
    Deidre
    http://viasat.nl/
    Last edited by deidrestarr; 26th January 2017 at 08:25.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4