+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: eliminate gauges for AI

RBW Member manni-yunk is an unknown quantity at this point manni-yunk's Avatar

eliminate gauges for AI

Im thinking about eliminating my SPGs in lieu of an AI perdix. The Perdix could serve as a third computer (Petrel controller and Nerd Monitor)....which isnt really needed, but still. I could get rid of both hoses and SPGs.

I still have not gotten comfortable with a place to store the hoses and gauges. Im trying to clean up and streamline.

Is this a crazy thought?

RBW Member michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch's Avatar
    SF2, IDA76, Flex

AH1

Re: eliminate gauges for AI

If you think it's worth over $2000 + taxes to eliminate 2 gauges and hoses - go for it!
    Since it doesn't have any idea what you're actually breathing the deco info can't match up with you're other 2 computers too.

I'd rather keep the hoses and spend the $2000 diving
    Michael
    Last edited by michael-fisch; 26th November 2016 at 16:49. Reason: Deco information

RBW Member thetrickster is on a distinguished road thetrickster is on a distinguished road thetrickster's Avatar
    APD Evolution Vision

I like the idea too.

However one of the problems will be, You will probably still need hoses to run the two transmitters off the 1st stages to around your shoulders and away from anything metal.

The transmitters are one and the same as the Oceanic ones, and having used them previously for OC. They are awful for distance and having anything in between the watch and transmitters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RBW Member broncobowsher is on a distinguished road broncobowsher is on a distinguished road broncobowsher's Avatar
    TBD

I have also heard issues with the transmitters shutting down when they don't see a pressure drop. They go into a battery save mode.

With as many open circuit divers I have seen with wireless transmitters having to hold the computer behind there head to get a pressure reading, and one even going so far as to put the transmitter on a hose so they can keep it in front and closer to the computer to keep the data flowing. I have think it is a bad idea.

Crazy stupid wireless craze. Does anything you have that is wireless actually work all the time? Wireless router, cell phone. This stuff works much more reliably when there is a non-wireless connection. The wireless ceiling fan in the house has a habit of doing nutty things on its own. The ones on a switch, work just like they should.

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Things may have improved over the years but I dived with Uwatec and then Suunto transmitters a while back in a bid to lose a hose on my single tank OC rig: and I would never dive a rig without a backup old school SPG again.

They continually dropped out, regardless of whether I ran them straight off the 1st stage or on a short hose over my shoulder.

To me they're something you add because you want to look at air consumption on your computer log - something I don't particularly care about as long as I have enough. But I don't think it's safe or smart to consider a wireless transmitter a replacement for a good old bourdon tube dial gauge.

Hammerhead CCR diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike's Avatar
    HammerHead CCR

Sidekick & Others

For a number of years I simply had my gauges bungied to my dil and o2 bottles behind my wing. I could reach them if I needed them during a dive. Maybe a less expensive option

Quote Originally Posted by manni-yunk  View Original Post
    Im thinking about eliminating my SPGs in lieu of an AI perdix. The Perdix could serve as a third computer (Petrel controller and Nerd Monitor)....which isnt really needed, but still. I could get rid of both hoses and SPGs.

I still have not gotten comfortable with a place to store the hoses and gauges. Im trying to clean up and streamline.

Is this a crazy thought?

New Member Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza's Avatar
    Inspo Classic, JJ-CCR

Mk15.5, rEvo, Vision, Kiss,

Here's a left field option, I have button gauges on my CCR regs.

Think about it before you shot me down in flames, why do you really need to know what amounts of gas you have left during the dive. If the o2 is above say 100 bar and the dil is fully charged then only a gas lossage would cause you concern. Face it any gas lossage would initiate a return to surface situation, the fact that you can watch the gas disappear on your gauge does not help the situation - when it runs out it runs out. Most gas storage situations are caused by either a component failure or user stupidity neither will be helped by a gauge only training will save you.

Just a thought ... regards Baz

RBW Member PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG's Avatar
    Meg

Fenzy PO68 Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza  View Original Post

Think about it before you shot me down in flames, why do you really need to know what amounts of gas you have left during the dive. If the o2 is above say 100 bar and the dil is fully charged then only a gas lossage would cause you concern. Face it any gas lossage would initiate a return to surface situation, the fact that you can watch the gas disappear on your gauge does not help the situation - when it runs out it runs out. Most gas storage situations are caused by either a component failure or user stupidity neither will be helped by a gauge only training will save you.

I agree and for a while had button gauges. But... they are not all that robust. They are vulnerable as they stick out and can be snagged or whacked. I had several fail.

Then for a while I ran no gauges. Fine for singe dive days. Far fewer failure points. However I was always feeling stupid getting into the water without neurotically checking tank pressures on everything. Old habits die hard.

I feel no need to check tank pressure on dives of two hours or less. After that I find comfort and utility and having gauges I can check.

For longer dives I carry redundant O2. Dil can always be piped in from BO, but O2 Is not something to run out of.

RBW Member NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB has a spectacular aura about NickB's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

Button gauges here too. On the JJ, they are nicely protected within the stand.

There's no way I'd lay out big bucks for a Perdix and transmitters just to get AI. I have a NERD so no need for a third computer, especially one that could only use a fixed SP.

That said, if they ever find a way of integrating receivers into the DiveCAN I might be interested, just for the tech 🤓

Another issue with this is having to turn on the computer (and presumably waiting for the transmitters to register, or whatever) just to see what gas is in the tins. I just have to look at the gauges now.

Having transmitters AND gauges is problematic, especially with first stages that only have one HP port.

Hammerhead CCR diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike's Avatar
    HammerHead CCR

Sidekick & Others

Lol. That's exactly what I do now. I actually use the 1 inch gauges and have a piece of clear tubing that protects the gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza  View Original Post

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast