+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: The feeling of being unable to breathe

RBW Member doctormike is an unknown quantity at this point doctormike's Avatar
    JJ

Re: The feeling of being unable to breathe

Aha! The snorts..! So glad to hear that this has a name, and that it wasn't just me.

I'm a new JJ diver (BMCL), and this happened to me once, one one of my last training dives, when I was (stupidly) using a new mask. It wasn't the best seal, and at several times I got this very scary choking sensation, almost like I was aspirating liquid. Had to bail out several times. I figured it had something to do with a mask leak and the difference in airway pressure distribution between CCR and OC.

After that, I went back to my old mask, shaved a tiny strip from the top of my mustache, and it never happened again.

RBW Member vinegarbiscuit is an unknown quantity at this point vinegarbiscuit's Avatar
    ISC Pathfinder

I had the snort-problem on my last rebreather dive, too. I am still very inexperienced (less than 15 hours), and I am still struggling to find optimal loop volume. Since my OSCLs are pretty large, and I am rather short, I have been eager to attain optimal loop volume, since I am sick of feeling like Pillsbury Dough Girl. I think I went the other way on this last dive - I had too little loop volume, and started inhaling through my nose at the bottom of every breath. That was the start of a vicious cycle: I started getting congested very quickly (exacerbated by a lack of hydration before the dive), and would try and pull the suctioned mask away from my face, letting in a wee bit of water, resulting in purging and dwindling dil. Eventually, I alternated between holding my nose for the dive and forcing my mouth into weird positions which oddly enough provided a measure of relief - maybe it helped stretch my sinuses, I don't know. I emerged with what felt like blockages on the side of my face and a terrible case of the snorts: I sounded like a morbidly obese bulldog every time I inhaled, and talking was absolutely hilarious. My poor husband and dive buddy. Not my finest hour!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar
    rEvo FT / Hollis P-2/ rEvo lll

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

Quote Originally Posted by dreamdive  View Original Post
    Hey Dave,

I completely agree with you. But in fairness, some people are less prone to the "snorts" and some don't feel very different between FMCL vs BMCL. I am jealous of those :)!

It seems that manufacturers are being pushed into offering BMCL for their original FMCL units. I am a short person and I can tell you that I liked the new Optima FMCL compared to the tremendous ISC FMCL a lot better. .....A lot of pro's and con's....Still awaiting the arrival of the perfect unit.

C
    You may be a little short (really average height for a woman) but you are a beautiful person on the inside and outside.
    Chett. L

Just another Meg diver trimix1965 is an unknown quantity at this point trimix1965's Avatar
    Megladon Apecs 2.01

Quote Originally Posted by wedivebc  View Original Post
    I have never understood why someone would sacrifice WOB in all positions for "frontal real estate". There is little on my chest I need to access other than a drysuit valve and the WOB from FMCLs is a far greater benefit to me. I have dived many rebreathers and have never had a BMCL unit that breathed as good as any FMCL unit.
    Well said Dave , really like my (ISC) FMCL.they breath so nice :)

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

Yeah, I never have the snorts when I dive FMCL!

Hello Nelly :) Glad to hear you are working on achieving good working loop volumes.

A while back I wrote a little article on the issue. Will attach the link. No worries, you will get it. Just keep diving!!

C

http://www.addhelium.com/single-post...s-In-Your-Loop

RBW Member vinegarbiscuit is an unknown quantity at this point vinegarbiscuit's Avatar
    ISC Pathfinder

Quote Originally Posted by dreamdive  View Original Post
    Yeah, I never have the snorts when I dive FMCL!

Hello Nelly :) Glad to hear you are working on achieving good working loop volumes.

A while back I wrote a little article on the issue. Will attach the link. No worries, you will get it. Just keep diving!!

C

http://www.addhelium.com/single-post...s-In-Your-Loop
    Hello, Claudia! Thank you for the encouragement. Off to cave country in a few weeks to rack up some hours in the springs and in the cavern zone. I'll keep trying to get the hang of it!

Thank you for the article - it looks very interesting. I'll be sure to read it - I need all the advice I can get!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3