+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Salvage of Java Sea Wrecks

New Member Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza's Avatar
    Inspo Classic, JJ-CCR

Mk15.5, rEvo, Vision, Kiss,

Salvage of Java Sea Wrecks

Guys .... here is a link to a post I put up on my facebook site regarding the salvage of the WWII wrecks over there.

Wreck salvage link

This is not just salvage its a total pick up and go job - mind blowing stuff.

The scuttle-buck is that the steel being pre-nuclear is worth a lot for testing reasons but who knows ???

regards Baz

Here is the UK's view

Anybody hear of a story about the UK selling the salvage rights to these wrecks years ago ??
    Last edited by Bazza; 17th November 2016 at 21:52.

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar

Re: Salvage of Java Sea Wrecks

shame they are gone. amazing experience and heaps of fun searching for, finding and diving on these wrecks

ill never forget when we found the USS Perch - great trips - great company
    Last edited by Drmike; 19th November 2016 at 22:44.

New Member Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza's Avatar
    Inspo Classic, JJ-CCR

Quote Originally Posted by Drmike  View Original Post
    why would the uk gov have rights to dutch ships in indonesian waters?

shame they are gone. amazing experience finding and diving on these wrecks
    Ops sorry I was referring to the UK vessels only, not the Dutch or US ones that have been lifted.

Inspo Classic, JJ-CCR

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza  View Original Post
    Ops sorry I was referring to the UK vessels only, not the Dutch or US ones that have been lifted.
    A trip has just returned from there and I am glad to say that there are still some wrecks worth going for - not all seems lost.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

RBW Member horaceanddumpling is an unknown quantity at this point horaceanddumpling's Avatar

Sadly Baz is wrong here. Just back off Empress, theres not much left, we steamed over another 5+ vacant sites looking for rust, just a big holes left in the mud, Japanese maru's and mine layers gone. Theres an odd recent container ship, a few part salvaged small ships remaining, half the electra and not much else.

They're gone guys.

Inspo Classic, JJ-CCR

Hi Al .... spoke with Rus and he said the same BUT - always that but - I got my info from Froggies who now run the trips and they reckon that this is what is available/left to dive.

1. Maigen Maru - 178 m, japanese cargo ship with tanks, airplane and truck on; depth 52-68 m; very good condition

2. HMS Electra - british distroyer - approx. 220 m; guns and ammunition on it; depth 48-58 m

3. Benclun - british freighter; 140 m; guns and ammunition on it; 69-80 m depth

4. Augustina - british tanker; shallow sea 25-48 m; attraction - engine room; lots of fish all around; very interesting

5. British freighter from the 2nd war, approx. 80 m long in very good shape; 60 m depth +

6. Encounter - dutch war ship; front part approx 70 m remained, the other vanished

7. Meratus Mas - indonesian tanker 130 m long; ; upside down; lots of staff (glasses ect, fish, whale shark swimming all around) depth 45 - 67 m

8. Itsukushima - hudge japanese minelayer; 72-88 m depth; very interesting.
    Last edited by Bazza; 30th November 2016 at 01:29.

RBW Member KevinD is an unknown quantity at this point KevinD's Avatar
    (No longer) west of Woodstock, south of Vietnam.
    Mk15.5

With all due respect to you Baz, as your just reporting what Froggy has said, seems Froggy have some of their ‘facts’ especially depths, very wrong. Having actually been onboard Empress when most of the wrecks mentioned were first discovered, and having dived all (save maybe one) of the mentioned wrecks many times since, the following comments in italics, give or take a couple of meters (as I don’t have my log books with me) would be closer to the mark. That is, if they really are all still there.

1. Maigen Maru - 178 m, japanese cargo ship with tanks, airplane and truck on; depth 52-68 m; very good condition

Actually broken in two, halves separated by a long swim, front half upright, stern on its side. In approx. 60m seabed.

2. HMS Electra - british distroyer - approx. 220 m; guns and ammunition on it; depth 48-58 m
    Reported partly salvaged recently. Was 100m long, and completely encased in trawler nets, in approx. 50m seabed.

3. Benclun - british freighter; 140 m; guns and ammunition on it; 69-80 m depth
    They probably mean Bencolen, a Dutch freighter. Was upright in approx. 60m seabed.

4. Augustina - british tanker; shallow sea 25-48 m; attraction - engine room; lots of fish all around; very interesting
    If she is still there yes, one hell of a dive! Save for Brooks having died on her that is. :-( And IIRC in about 35m

5. British freighter from the 2nd war, approx. 80 m long in very good shape; 60 m depth +
    Can't comment on this one as not sure what they refer to here.

6. Encounter - dutch war ship; front part approx 70 m remained, the other vanished
    Actually Encounter was a British destroyer (which was in about 60m and is reported to be now completely gone). I assume the above may relate to the Dutch destroyer Kortenaer, which was broken in two, with the front half completely upside down, in approx. 50m seabed.

7. Meratus Mas - indonesian tanker 130 m long; ; upside down; lots of staff (glasses ect, fish, whale shark swimming all around) depth 45 - 67 m
    Seem to recall Meratus Mas being a freighter loaded with containers (some 'floating' up inside the hull!) and being on its side in about 60m.

8. Itsukushima - hudge japanese minelayer; 72-88 m depth; very interesting.
    Actually completely upside down in 60m, buried to the deck edge both sides, so very uninteresting really (save for the very very small severed stern section quite some distance away that more or less sits upright).

Last edited by KevinD; 1st December 2016 at 18:00.

New Member Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell's Avatar

These were war graves entombing hundreds of sailors who died for their respective countries.

Is there nothing sacred any more???

Simon M

Muddiver Muddiver is an unknown quantity at this point Muddiver's Avatar
    Poseidon Cis Lunar 7

The UN and the US govt consider those salvage jobs as desiccation of war graves and illegal. Typical Asian shinanigans, any thing to make a buck.

All IMVHO obviously... Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field's Avatar
    NVMCCR Inspiration

Classic KISS, Sport KISS

Quote Originally Posted by Muddiver  View Original Post
    The UN and the US govt consider those salvage jobs as desiccation of war graves and illegal. Typical Asian shinanigans, any thing to make a buck.
    Agreed but I have to say- I'm impressed at the speed and completeness of the salvage, some reports are saying the entire cruisers are missing but for a few small pieces and a whole in the mud! One does not simple lift a WWII warship in one-piece overnight, whole without some serious kit and manpower.

Surely a job that size can't be done in "secret"?

+ Reply to Thread