+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rebreather and drysuit.

RBW Member cfogarty1964 is an unknown quantity at this point cfogarty1964's Avatar
    Prism 2

Rebreather and drysuit.

I dive the Hollis Prism 2, and just got a drysuit, and I cannot reach the OPV on the left arm. My counter lungs are in the way. I could use advice. I cannot surgically extend my arms.

Thanks

Chris Ferrar hyrax is an unknown quantity at this point hyrax's Avatar
    Evolution

Re: Rebreather and drysuit.

Charlotte as in Charlotte NC? If so I would be happy to meet you at the Mooresville PDRA quarry. I may be able to give you some pointers as I also suffer from short arms. Just PM me and we can set something up.

RBW Member whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot?'s Avatar
    MK15.5, MK25

I've seen some suits where the OPV has been relocated to another part of the suit, you might look into that.

RBW Member Seya is an unknown quantity at this point Seya's Avatar

You can move it to your wrist or some other spot.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

I saw the potential for fouling of the dump on the lung/straps/etc and had the dump moved 90º around the arm, from the front to the side. Which has made this issue worse.

I tend to just dive it full open now, keep the air bubble low down around my waist and all I need to roll a little to dump.

But you should be able to reach it - is the harness etc too tight, restricting your ability to reach?

RBW Member dlh is an unknown quantity at this point dlh's Avatar

You should add another valve to your Wrist, this is not uncommon. Personally I don't ever close my drysuit valve underwater, but its easy for these to get incidentally closed. I usually only close it on the surface to inflate and get warm while waiting for a live boat pickup. If you can't reach the valve on your shoulder you are definitely going to need that wrist valve for safety.

Richard Huntrods sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy's Avatar
    Prism Topaz

I dive a Prism Topaz and have had the same issue. Normally I dive with the drysuit dump in the open/auto position. Usually fiddling with the dump valve should be an infrequent event. In that case when I've had to say close it, I just time it with my inhale, give myself a hug to crush the counterlungs, then reach the valve easily, even with my shorter arms. It takes a practice or two to get the motion / timing down, but then it's OK.

RBW Member TommyGun is an unknown quantity at this point TommyGun's Avatar
    UTD MXZ-MCCR (Kiss)

Have the same problem as you, moved mine to left wrist inside and am able to dive it open all the time without ever dumping gas when doing a valve drill or something else. Before i would dive it closed and just manually dump when needed,, but this was a pain,, best of both worlds on the wrist IMHO

+ Reply to Thread