+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Upgrade Topaz

Just another Meg diver trimix1965 is an unknown quantity at this point trimix1965's Avatar
    Megladon Apecs 2.01

Re: Upgrade Topaz

Quote Originally Posted by heyydude  View Original Post
    The last 4 Prism Topaz units (which were originally fitted with Smithers/Juergensen electronics) were converted to Hammerheads in my shop - about 8 years ago, I seem to recall.

We still do conversions for older systems. Last one we did was a CCR-2000 (remember them?).

Kevin Juergensen
    Juergensen Marine, Inc.

Hi Kevin if you are still able to these old upgrade , can you PM me of line please...

Andy Pitkin apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin's Avatar
    Prism 1

various

Quote Originally Posted by silent running  View Original Post
    Hello trimix1965, I'm not being argumentative for the sake of it, but maybe the better question is how would making the simplest ECCR ever made more complicated actually be an upgrade? A major advantage of the design is it's simplicity both in terms of operation and touble shooting. Just a thought... - Andy
    I absolutely love the Prism Topaz and it has served as my primary rebreather for many years. I have done some pretty big dives on it, with >12 hour durations and depths > 450 feet.

What I can categorically say is that the advantage of being able to see the output of all three cells just by glancing at the Shearwater on your wrist (which also shows depth/time/deco info) outweigh any possible advantages that the analog display has. In the dark, with a scooter in one hand and a light in the other, looking at even one sensor on the analog display is an effort, so there is no way you can look at all 3 regularly.

It is a slight increase in complexity, yes, but the Shearwater is a totally independent system and the theoretical disadvantage of having a battery-powered secondary display just isn't borne out by practical experience.

Just my opinion, but nobody who has tried it (to my knowledge) ever wants to go back to the analog secondary. I have three working analog secondaries right here that I don't need (and which you can have if, or rather when, yours breaks ).

Andy

Richard Huntrods sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy's Avatar
    Prism Topaz

Quote Originally Posted by trimix1965  View Original Post
    Hi Andy was told by my mate that has the Topaz -
    He was saying that the controller is very fragile apparently it has a dial that can get stuck or freeze if dropped or knocked ...
    That' s why he would like another option ..
    Again, *that's NOT a controller*!

That's the secondary display. It controls nothing. And as has been said, you can build a cable that allows you to swap it out for a Shearwater. Problem solved.

Also, the dial doesn't freeze. It's the jewel movement in the display meter that can be damaged by dropping it. Most folks just keep them in an otter box when not diving.

A better suggestion for your buddy is to sell the Topaz to someone who wants it and buy something fancy and digital.

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar
    rEvo FT / Hollis P-2/ rEvo lll

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

For those who like the analog secondary. Robert Landreth in Spain Makes a very good-version of this secondary. For those that are interested just send me a PM and I will put you in touch with him.

Best regards,
    Chett. L

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2