+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade Topaz

Just another Meg diver trimix1965 is an unknown quantity at this point trimix1965's Avatar
    Megladon Apecs 2.01

Upgrade Topaz

Hi guys I have a mate that owns a Prizim Topaz with Analog controller would there be anyway of installing a digital 3 cell display with Shearwater electronics or similar
    Can the new Hollis controller be fitted?

Thinker n Tinkerer Sparedone is an unknown quantity at this point Sparedone's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz

Bp240/bmr500, BG174

Re: Upgrade Topaz

Light weight weighing in.

It's been done, there's a thread somewhere but it involved skilled rewiring of the controller and isn't an easy swap. A regular 3 cell ppo2 meter could be grafted in with some work but easier. This is all 3rd hand info I came across while assembling an analog secondary on my homebuild.

As a side note the controller is digital, the secondary ppo2 meter is analog.

I'd buy the old secondary if he does get rid of it to have a spare.

Regards,
    Cameron
    Last edited by Sparedone; 13th November 2016 at 14:55.

Capt/ Instructor
    tmccar1 is a jewel in the rough tmccar1 is a jewel in the rough tmccar1 is a jewel in the rough tmccar1 is a jewel in the rough tmccar1 is a jewel in the rough tmccar1 is a jewel in the rough tmccar1 is a jewel in the rough tmccar1's Avatar
    SF2 | rEvo

PRISM Topaz

You sure can but I have no idea who even does it these days. I dove mine with a predator for a some years.
    The trick is that you need to splice together a lumberg conenctor to a fischer. The problem is that the Topaz cells put out too much voltage for the acceptable shearwater range so you actually need to put 1.7k ohm resistors inline in the splice. Shoot me an email and i'll forward you the instructions and photos I have. Obviously this is all super aftermarket garage stuff so proceed at your own risk.
    Last edited by tmccar1; 13th November 2016 at 17:26.
    -Capt Tom McCarthy
    Stone Rust | East Coast Wreck Diving
    SF2 | rEvo
    Training | Charters | Equipment

New Member Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza's Avatar
    Inspo Classic, JJ-CCR

Mk15.5, rEvo, Vision, Kiss,

Yep ... it can done if you can get hold of a controller - suggest an AV1 for this.

But - always that but - why would you waste good money after bad on such an old piece of junk ????

regards Baz

Richard Huntrods sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy's Avatar
    Prism Topaz

Um, a controller and a display are in no way the same thing.

You can replace the analog secondary by building a custom interface cable that replaces the secondary cable and then mates to a shearwater's connector, as noted in prior posts. BUT THIS IS NOT A CONTROLLER.

To replace the controller you'd have to either mill out the head and install your new controller (not really feasible), or somehow bypass the O2 solenoid and use a new solenoid, or otherwise cut and rewire the solenoid to have it fired by your digital electronics. It could be done, but why?

Or, you could buy a Prism 2 and sell the Topaz to someone who would appreciate it un-butchered.

Basically, except for the actual O2 cells used, the P2 is close enough to the Topaz AND has a digital controller. Plus the CAN buss so you can add other stuff (like the NERD) if you want.

Some things make sense, and some simply do not. IMO, trying to hack a Topaz is one of those things that makes no sense.

Andy Pitkin apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin's Avatar
    Prism 1

various

Quote Originally Posted by tmccar1  View Original Post
    You sure can but I have no idea who even does it these days. I dove mine with a predator for a some years.
    The trick is that you need to splice together a lumberg conenctor to a fischer. The problem is that the Topaz cells put out too much voltage for the acceptable shearwater range so you actually need to put 1.7k ohm resistors inline in the splice. Shoot me an email and i'll forward you the instructions and photos I have. Obviously this is all super aftermarket garage stuff so proceed at your own risk.
    Instructions are here.

I have made a few for people but I don't have any Lumberg cables left.

Thinker n Tinkerer Sparedone is an unknown quantity at this point Sparedone's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz

Bp240/bmr500, BG174

Quote Originally Posted by apitkin  View Original Post
    Instructions are here.

I have made a few for people but I don't have any Lumberg cables left.

Here's why I love this forum.

Thank you for your contributions!

Respectively,
    Cameron

Ps. Fleabay has that cable at 24$ if someone wants to source one.
    Last edited by Sparedone; 14th November 2016 at 02:04.

King of the Geeks
    heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude's Avatar
    HAMMERHEAD!

The last 4 Prism Topaz units (which were originally fitted with Smithers/Juergensen electronics) were converted to Hammerheads in my shop - about 8 years ago, I seem to recall.

We still do conversions for older systems. Last one we did was a CCR-2000 (remember them?).

Kevin Juergensen
    Juergensen Marine, Inc.

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by trimix1965  View Original Post
    Hi guys I have a mate that owns a Prizim Topaz with Analog controller would there be anyway of installing a digital 3 cell display with Shearwater electronics or similar
    Can the new Hollis controller be fitted?
    Hello trimix1965, I'm not being argumentative for the sake of it, but maybe the better question is how would making the simplest ECCR ever made more complicated actually be an upgrade? A major advantage of the design is it's simplicity both in terms of operation and touble shooting. Just a thought... - Andy

Just another Meg diver trimix1965 is an unknown quantity at this point trimix1965's Avatar
    Megladon Apecs 2.01

Quote Originally Posted by silent running  View Original Post
    Hello trimix1965, I'm not being argumentative for the sake of it, but maybe the better question is how would making the simplest ECCR ever made more complicated actually be an upgrade? A major advantage of the design is it's simplicity both in terms of operation and touble shooting. Just a thought... - Andy

Hi Andy was told by my mate that has the Topaz -
    He was saying that the controller is very fragile apparently it has a dial that can get stuck or freeze if dropped or knocked ...
    That' s why he would like another option ..