+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Why can't the spammers be controlled better

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Why can't the spammers be controlled better

What would be so hard about vetting the new members to prevent all these damn spam posts for being posted? I am sick and tired of reporting them and about ready to take an indefinite vacation for this forum to avoid them.
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Re: Why can't the spammers be controlled better

Picture yourself as a newcomer. You want to reply to a post. There's a limit to the number of hoops people will jump through before they not only give up trying to make that post but walk away from the site in disgust and frustration.

So there needs to be a balance between making it hard for spammers vs making it easy for legit people.

One other forum I used to spend a lot of time one had a question that would be the equivalent of "What type of batteries are required for a Petrel II?" There was much rage to be enjoyed from people signing up who didn't know, or care, about a Petrel II but who were interested in other rebreather related stuff.

It's tough doing the vetting and really it relies on a Sotis minion to spend more time than DSix or anyone else on the forum, reading every post as it comes in and bahleting/banning the spam/mers.

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Makes sense, maybe if the spammers were killed it would be a better deterrent. I will supply the gun and ammo
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

RBW Member broncobowsher is on a distinguished road broncobowsher is on a distinguished road broncobowsher's Avatar
    TBD

How about starting with a simple filter?

If your first post includes a link, blocked until reviewed by admin if it is valid or not.
    Still allows newbies to give an into post, but would keep away the current crop of spam.

Of course the spammers keep finding new ways and that will have to be dealt with when it occurs.

King of the Geeks
    heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude's Avatar
    HAMMERHEAD!

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    .....snip..... I am sick and tired of reporting them and about ready to take an indefinite vacation for this forum to avoid them.

....((Kevin quickly wire-transfers $$$$ to a Russian Spam-Bot company to begin massive post-blasting on RBW advertising Male Enhancement Products....))

Kevin.

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar
    rEvo FT / Hollis P-2/ rEvo lll

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

We are woking on it...
    Chett. L

RBW Member whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot?'s Avatar
    MK15.5, MK25

Thanks Chett; we all appreciate RBW, it's staff, and what it brings to our tribe.

RBW Member elk_hound_glasgow is an unknown quantity at this point elk_hound_glasgow's Avatar

Makes sense, maybe if the spammers were killed it would be a better deterrent. I will supply the gun and ammo
    Just need you to mention the the 4th of July, Tacobell and confusion over global geography to complete American stereotypes bingo!

Dark, cold and wet. DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ's Avatar
    rEvo III Mini rMS

rEvo III Standard hCCR

Problem is in many cases we are fighting computers. It is common for spam to be computer generated... Numerous ongoing site changes are being made to combat the attacks and we are proactively monitoring threads to remove spam before you report it. Sorry!

RBW Member whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot?'s Avatar
    MK15.5, MK25

Quote Originally Posted by elk_hound_glasgow  View Original Post
    Just need you to mention the the 4th of July, Tacobell and confusion over global geography to complete American stereotypes bingo!

Right, I'll help you out on that.

Beef Wellington
    MGB
    And some little island off of Argentina

I see you have been a member since 2011 yet this is your first post? Nuff said.