+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: With dive OC buddies

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

Re: With dive OC buddies

Quote Originally Posted by rjack  View Original Post
    My loop will vent from the OPV. .
    Would you want that much air in the counterlungss? The meg CTL's are huge.

I guess at least open up the OPV to the max than.

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Pack  View Original Post
    Would you want that much air in the counterlungss? The meg CTL's are huge.

I guess at least open up the OPV to the max than.

Yours are at least 1/3rd bigger than mine. You might consider having yours sewn down (on the edges) they don't need to be that big.

I leave my OPV basically wide open.

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

By the point in my brief where I'm talking about flicking switches on BOVs the O/C buddy already has wide eyes. If I start talking about diver lifts (not usually touched on before a rescue level course) I'm going to lose them or ruin their dive.

I dive with my OPV fully closed. I know that, if a new diver attempts to lift me, I'm going to the surface fast. It's better than staying on the bottom. And it's usually pretty shallow if I'm with an OC buddy.

RBW Member elk_hound_glasgow is an unknown quantity at this point elk_hound_glasgow's Avatar

Have you ever done a simulated unconscious diver rescue?
    I have done simulated diver rescues (deepest was from 30m) and teach others to do them at entry level (10m). This was all on OC though. It is the CCR part that is an unknown to me.

I would never remove a DSV to try and put in a regulator (unless the DSV had already fallen out). If there is any respirations at all they will drown.
    Makes sense and the answer I was expecting.

Who knows what their ppO2 is.
    Some units have buddy displays such as the liberty but not common.

A dil flush on the bottom might in theory hel,p but I wouldn't plan on anyone knowing how to do it. But I wouldn't try to teach an OC diver how to do anything (new-to-them) other than switch my BOV.
    What about a CCR diver helping another CCR diver? There is a greater prevalence among CCR divers to self reliance which is understandable given the greater complexity. Still it does result in a "as long as I am conscious and in control I have a chance. Once I lose that it is all bets are off" type situation. In CCR courses are diver rescues of a non-responsive causality featured or not? I am guessing GUE's course would?

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

Yours are at least 1/3rd bigger than mine. You might consider having yours sewn down (on the edges) they don't need to be that big.

I leave my OPV basically wide open.
    I prefer the large CTL's, especially on ascents.\\Never open my OPV, unless doing an O2 flush.

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg

Quote Originally Posted by elk_hound_glasgow  View Original Post

What about a CCR diver helping another CCR diver? There is a greater prevalence among CCR divers to self reliance which is understandable given the greater complexity. Still it does result in a "as long as I am conscious and in control I have a chance. Once I lose that it is all bets are off" type situation. In CCR courses are diver rescues of a non-responsive causality featured or not? I am guessing GUE's course would?
    I had to do unconscious CCR diver rescues in my MOD1

From about 12ft in the pool and again in open water in perhaps 50ft. Nothing like 30m but it was MOD1 and we only have one BO on and minimal wing gas.

Tap them to see if they are conscious
    Dil flush
    Bring them up with as much control as you can venting from the loop and drysuit a bit as you go.

I didn't find it to be all more difficult than on OC. Neither of us had BOVs in class but if they have one just turn that on instead of the dil flush.

RBW Member elk_hound_glasgow is an unknown quantity at this point elk_hound_glasgow's Avatar

Tap them to see if they are conscious
    Dil flush
    Bring them up with as much control as you can venting from the loop and drysuit a bit as you go.
    What did you do to vent to the loop?

Also more thinking out loud here, what if the person has there OPV shut and uses a DSV? I am guessing the expanding gas will want to push the mouth piece out so a firm grip or gag strap could be very important with excess gas escaping past the lips.

Meg

Quote Originally Posted by elk_hound_glasgow  View Original Post
    What did you do to vent to the loop?

Also more thinking out loud here, what if the person has there OPV shut and uses a DSV? I am guessing the expanding gas will want to push the mouth piece out so a firm grip or gag strap could be very important with excess gas escaping past the lips.

It just vents out the lips or nose. Most OPVs aren't at the top so being open doesn't help so much. Some units / CLs don't have an OPV at all either.

I didn't find it all that different than an OC diver lift and I had only 2 or 3 hours on the unit when we did it in the pool, maybe 6 hrs when we did it in OW.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2