+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: With dive OC buddies

RBW Member Nubium is an unknown quantity at this point Nubium's Avatar
    Liberty

Dolphin,Megalodon,rEvo

With dive OC buddies

Hi All,
    I am CCR deco certified and have started diving with a guy that is on a twinset and he is worried that Ill not be able to help him if he needs it, He is fairly new to tech diving, as am I. Have you had to change your dive planning and amount of gas you take to calculate for your OC buddies? Nothing like this was covered in my CCR courses, it was just all about me. your views please. Thanks

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg

Re: With dive OC buddies

No changes.

Use a long hose on your deep bailout. If you bring enough BO to get yourself up to the next breathable gas then its enough to get a similarly stressed OC buddy up to their deco gas. Trying to hand off a bottle, midwater, with a short hose on it is a disaster waiting to happen. The long hose avoids having to do that. Or delay on the bottom messing around with cylinders, just pass them the working regulator and move up. A 150cm (5ft) hose works well and stuffs down your deep bailout out of the way.

If they lose a deco gas I would take their empty or broken cylinder and hand them my deco gas. I carry the same mixes they do, so they don't need to recalculate their deco.

I dive with OC buddies all the time, I don't plan on them going out of gas and my CCR having a problem simultaneously.

RBW Member elk_hound_glasgow is an unknown quantity at this point elk_hound_glasgow's Avatar

What about him helping you if you have a problem on your CCR?

RBW Member deepdave is an unknown quantity at this point deepdave's Avatar
    Inspo Vision

Quote Originally Posted by elk_hound_glasgow  View Original Post
    Same but in reverse I would have thought. OC buddies usually have an Octo which can be handed to me in the unlikely event that both my CC and bailout fail.

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Just because the way our club runs, I often find myself buddied last second with a new open water open circuit diver.

I show them where my spare air is (it's a sherwood shadow, kinda like the buddy air) for them, and show them where my BOV switch along with the instruction "If I start shaking or I go still, keep the mouthpiece in my gob, flick that switch and take me to the surface".

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg

Quote Originally Posted by elk_hound_glasgow  View Original Post
    There is only one thing for them to do, donate gas. If I am unconscious, turn the BOV knob. Bring me up just like any other unconscious diver. Expecting them to do more to make the loop breathable when I wasn't able to myself is unrealistic

RBW Member elk_hound_glasgow is an unknown quantity at this point elk_hound_glasgow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rjack  View Original Post
    There is only one thing for them to do, donate gas. If I am unconscious, turn the BOV knob. Bring me up just like any other unconscious diver. Expecting them to do more to make the loop breathable when I wasn't able to myself is unrealistic
    In the event of lifting a CCR diver with BOV switched to BO how will loop gas effect their buoyancy. Is there a way the diver needs to be lifted to let OPV on the CL / loop arrangement be topmost so it can vent as necessary? My concern here as an OC diver would be that I might loose control of the ascent due to the additional source of buoyancy on the causality that I am not familiar with.

What about lifting a unresponsive diver who does not have BOV? Leave them on loop and risk possible PPO2 issue on ascent or turn DSV off and bung a reg in before lifting? If latter, what about the buoyancy on lift concern raised above?

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

rjack nailed it on deep gas. I keep a 7ft hose on mine, because most of the time we are on scooters and 5ft is too short.

I only hand off a tank, as a last ditch effort.

Meg

My loop will vent from the OPV. Most will vent through the lips if not via the OPV. Have you ever done a simulated unconscious diver rescue? You want the unconscious diver on the underside and ideally positive. The rescuer vents all their gas (gets negative) and goes on top. This is how you stay together and then use the unconscious diver to control buoyancy (by reaching over their shoulder). Being on a CCR doesn't change this at all.

I would never remove a DSV to try and put in a regulator (unless the DSV had already fallen out). If there is any respirations at all they will drown. Who knows what their ppO2 is. A dil flush on the bottom might in theory hel,p but I wouldn't plan on anyone knowing how to do it. Personally I would try to add O2 on ascent if I could find the MAV and I didn't drop/lose them in the process.

But I wouldn't try to teach an OC diver how to do anything (new-to-them) other than switch my BOV.

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

Any air in the loop will expand, just like a wing would.

Dunno what you'd do with a BOV diver though to change loop volume on ascent. Interesting question.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast