+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: loop problem

RBW Member max.horn is an unknown quantity at this point max.horn's Avatar
    Megalodon eCCR

loop problem

Hello RBWorld community!

I have got one problem.. When I was last time servicing DSV, I fitted new loops which I got when I bought my Meg.
    (I was diving on old ones)
    So I fitted them, and as time past 20 hours, I decided, OK, lets clean my lovely DSV.
    When I took it off the loop I discovered strange scurf sort of...
    Only on the new loop type, from CTL to DSV. The older type is clean as new. which is from HEAD to CTL.

What could it be??

Best regards Maksim

PS: I use steramine after every dive
    Attached Images

RBW Member PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG's Avatar
    Meg

Fenzy PO68 Dolphin

Re: loop problem

I have not seen this. I have a Meg purchased in 2010. Although I have fewer than 400 hrs on it I recently replaced some loop hoses. So I have a mix of old hoses and new.

I never use any disinfectant on my loop. I use lots of hot water and dry it after a trip or weekend of diving.

Good luck, and stay away from chemicals and drugs. I suspect the Steramine.

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg

steramine doesn't cause that (I use it frequently but not always after every dive)
    I have no idea other than calcium deposits? Do you have really hard water there?

Megalodon eCCR

Thank you guys for answering so quick!
    I live in Oslo, Norway and water here is crystal clear I have a cettle and it stays as new after several years of use...
    I have no idea where it is comming from. And again it is only in the new loop, not in old one. Newer material is quite soft and not so smoth inside...
    Maybe some sort of reaction...

RBW Member Dive!Dive! is on a distinguished road Dive!Dive! is on a distinguished road Dive!Dive!'s Avatar

Does the white deposit wipe off ?
    I have seen this on the outside of new hoses that I've stored for a while but not on the inside. I thought it was possibly from the release agent used in the moulding process. Wiped it off mine and they have been fine,

RBW Member fullytek is an unknown quantity at this point fullytek's Avatar
    megabastard

Looks like mold release agent. Same stuff that you see on brand new scubapro jets

Megalodon eCCR

How possible mold is there only in these hoses and anywhere else? I also wash it everytime after dive.. And dice it at least once a week. I really dont think that it is mold...

RBW Member Dive!Dive! is on a distinguished road Dive!Dive! is on a distinguished road Dive!Dive!'s Avatar

We are not saying it is mold i.e stuff that grows. . We are saying it could be mold release - a product used when the hoses are being produced.

Does it wipe off ?

RBW Member broncobowsher is on a distinguished road broncobowsher is on a distinguished road broncobowsher's Avatar
    TBD

The form that the part is made in is often called a "mold"
    A release agent is applyed so the part does not stick as it is being made. Something like https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Maxi...s=mold+release

Mold release is a sacrificial layer used in production. Molded rubber parts are parts cast on a "mold" where the mold is another name for a reusable form

Another thought is if the hose is oxidizing.

Megalodon eCCR

Ahaaa... Ok :) well accually it looks like talk powder for climbing. In any case I just ordered another type of hoses.
    These new type are very soft and I liked the old type much more :)
    I tried to wipe it off but it was acting like a dirt... Strange stuff...
    Last edited by max.horn; 28th October 2016 at 18:11.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast