+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to drill hole in a lid

RBW Member luki90 is an unknown quantity at this point luki90's Avatar
    Meg 2.01k

How to drill hole in a lid

Hi guys..
    I'm thinking of starting an homebuilt project...something simple just for fun.

If i'll need (and of course i'll need) to drill a lid what tool should i use? And if i'll need to thread it?

Thanks mates

Steve Sprague 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster's Avatar
    rEvo

Dolphin

Re: How to drill hole in a lid

Since you are asking this I am going to assume you don't have these things already. A hand held drill will do but a drill press is a good investment if you have the room. It makes drilling holes at the correct angle and depth a lot easier. Once you have one you will find you will use it a lot.

Start out buying a set of drill bits in the common sizes. Creating a threaded hole will require a tap of the correct size and a drill bit sized for the tap as well.

Here is a trick to make a really precise tapped hole with a drill press: 1st clamp your lid on the drill press table so it will not move. Drill the hole, depending on the size of the hole this may require a small pilot hole first. Then without moving the lid in the press, drill the correct sized hole for the tap. Then, without moving anything else put the tap into the chuck of the drill press. DO NOT TURN THE POWER ON THE DRILL PRESS! Instead rotate the chuck by hand using the drill press handle to apply gentile pressure to the tap. You advance the tap a quarter turn then back off a half turn. Continue doing this until your hole is threaded.

Practice first if you have a lot of time or money into the part you are working on.

King of the Geeks
    heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude's Avatar
    HAMMERHEAD!

This is the one that Mark Chase used in "improve" the size of the holes in his Hammerhead Wrist Unit:

giantscrew_sm.jpg

Have no clue why the damn thing leaked after that...

Kevin.

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Quote Originally Posted by heyydude  View Original Post
    This is the one that Mark Chase used in "improve" the size of the holes in his Hammerhead Wrist Unit:

Attachment 42414

Have no clue why the damn thing leaked after that...

Kevin.
    I laughed so hard a little bit of sh1t came out...

I started on what fast became a 300 page essay, which I deleted and started again.

Assuming you're looking at throwing another cable through the head...

1. Get the cable diameter.
    2. Find a cable gland that you like, that has backing o-rings and that'll take the diameter cable from fleaBay or the like. Order that sucker.
    3. From the gland, grab the thread size. I've had 12mm x 1.0mm and 16mm x 1.5mm, there are imperial equivalents and there are other sizes. Whatever. Write the numbers down.
    4. Go find a tap for the thread size. Fleabay again, should be around ten bucks. You'll also need a tap wrench to turn it.
    5. Look up the goggles or equivalent interwebs and find yourself the correct drill diameter for that tap size. There are charts, tables, etc everywhere.
    6. Buy one of those drills if you haven't got it already.
    7. Wait for the toys.
    8. As 4ster has already said: drill press >> a monkey wielded pistol drill flailing around the place. But, if all you have is what you have...
    9. Drill the pilot hole. Make some passing effort to get it perpendicular to the surface of the lid. Seriously. If it's off by more than a couple/few degrees chances are that the gland won't seal and your lid is FUBARed.
    10. Tap the hole with your shiny new tap.
    11. Connect up the internal connections, ready to go.
    12. Realise that you forgot the gland. Cut/unsolder all those connections again. Put the gland on the cable, feed it through the lid, reconnect everything.
    13. Screw your gland into the lid. Clamp the back nut on the the gland onto the cable.

14. Pressure test. Do the hardest +ve test you can do on the rig assembled and spray soapy water around the new gland to make sure she's tight. If the inside of that gland hole isn't at ambient pressure (ie it's still supposed to be at 1ATA when you're 250m down) then consider finding someone with a proper test pot and doing a decent test.

Done. ?

RBW Member turtle dude is an unknown quantity at this point turtle dude's Avatar
    Inspo classic hacked about

Hi,
    As captain said, but if you can (& most normal cables will) use the smaller gland because if you do chip\chew it up a bit you can then move up to the bigger gland and if you cock that up to contact the captain again he has a nice drawing of a blank plug like the ap inspo head and that goes into about a 20mm hole and you can start again.
    Just out of interest what unit are you moding?
    Regards
    Baz