+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Final DOT Report on Exploding Cylinder in FL

RBW Member whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot?'s Avatar
    MK15.5, MK25

Re: Final DOT Report on Exploding Cylinder in FL

Sounds like RJack came up with the conclusion the inspector couldn't, he should submit it to the DOT for an update.

Thanks for the info...

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg

Quote Originally Posted by whynot?  View Original Post
    Sounds like RJack came up with the conclusion the inspector couldn't, he should submit it to the DOT for an update.

Thanks for the info...
    Not my theory. It was extensively discussed on TDS over 4 yrs ago.

RBW Member fullytek is an unknown quantity at this point fullytek's Avatar
    megabastard

Quote Originally Posted by rjack  View Original Post
    If it was on the deco stop then it must be true

If the cylinder had a 2000psi fill the force on the threads would have been over 2000 pounds ( force is =to area x pressure)

Yu would need a vice and bfw to turn the valve.

Ever try to remove your din regulators with the reg still pressurized?

If the tank valve were loose the neck oring would have extruded.

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg

Quote Originally Posted by fullytek  View Original Post
    If it was on the deco stop then it must be true

If the cylinder had a 2000psi fill the force on the threads would have been over 2000 pounds ( force is =to area x pressure)

Yu would need a vice and bfw to turn the valve.

Ever try to remove your din regulators with the reg still pressurized?

If the tank valve were loose the neck oring would have extruded.

You'd be surprised how easy it is to turn valves in partially full cylinders. The older 7/8" UNF threads are the worst since they are their pitch is so shallow and they are super fine.

Read the report yourself, they identified the origin point of the fire and where and how it spread. And that there was no contamination of the cylinder or valve. And lastly the half dozen or so possible sources of ignition.

RBW Member whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot?'s Avatar
    MK15.5, MK25

Quote Originally Posted by rjack  View Original Post
    Yeah, that was me being a Neoclinus blanchardi...
    Last edited by whynot?; 19th October 2016 at 02:44.

Meg

From pdf page 100 (report appendix page 50)

the following ignition mechanisms can be ruled out: particle impact; incompatible materials within the cylinder valve; charging a rigid vessel; heat of compression; static electric discharge; and acoustic resonance.

This leaves electric arcing, mechanical impact, exposure of base metal, promoted ignition, and friction ignition. Electric arcing and promoted ignition are ruled out as improbable, thus leaving mechanical impact, exposure of base metal and friction ignition as the most likely causes. The actual mechanism of ignition could not be determined.

RBW Member B24L is an unknown quantity at this point B24L's Avatar
    Meg

5.3.1 Compliance with Labeling.
    Report was interesting. However I have never seen a diamond shaped label marking the contents of any O2 tank as Oxygen and "2.2". I have worked in the construction industry for 45 and never Seen any labels on an O2 tank. Truck that delivers it yes, tank no. The dive community has always been more diligent than the construction industry with Labeling. Did R.T.I. misstate the code or are we all in violation of it.

Meg

Quote Originally Posted by B24L  View Original Post
    5.3.1 Compliance with Labeling.
    Report was interesting. However I have never seen a diamond shaped label marking the contents of any O2 tank as Oxygen and "2.2". I have worked in the construction industry for 45 and never Seen any labels on an O2 tank. Truck that delivers it yes, tank no. The dive community has always been more diligent than the construction industry with Labeling. Did R.T.I. misstate the code or are we all in violation of it.
    Its usually on the neck sticker from airgas or whomever filled the O2 cylinder.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2