+ Reply to Thread

Thread: KISS GEM pSCR backplate question

RBW Member haaginheimer is an unknown quantity at this point haaginheimer's Avatar
    KISS GEM (modified)

Dolphin, Prism 2, Poseidon

KISS GEM pSCR backplate question

Does anyone use the KISS GEM backplate with two smaller tanks? I am wondering if I were to put a small manifold onto the backplate that I could utilize 30s, 40s, 50s and other smaller tanks with the pSCR for travel and not have to worry about using LOLA valves... anyone ever drill a backplate and do something like that?

Other option would be to set up a gas changeover for "hot" swaps while diving which could allow me to take different gasses

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

Re: KISS GEM pSCR backplate question

You've still gotta carry enough gas for bailout. I always dove with a steel 95, that way had plenty of reserve gas for bailout

RBW Member haaginheimer is an unknown quantity at this point haaginheimer's Avatar
    KISS GEM (modified)

Right - a 40/46/50 will give me enough for a single (long) dive on a boat. two is enough back gas for a double tank dive.

taking a third tank side mounted would probably be a best option, especially if decompression diving is to be done.

RBW Member Rekumaru is an unknown quantity at this point Rekumaru's Avatar
    Kiss Classic

GEM,Meg15,Inspo Classic,RB80

You could use tiny doubles - lp50s with a manifold and sling al40s for deco. Mount the gem between the doubles on top. Or you could use tiny doubles and sling al40s on the left and sling the gem on the right. Or you could get one of those pscr cave frames and mount the tanks on and the gem in the middle.

Or you could just dive an HP100/LP104 and mount the gem to the side like normal and sling al40s for deco. Bail out to the backgas if something went wrong then switch to deco gas at the stop.

You can literally configure it anyway you want. Just make sure the chest mounted lungs are in the correct spot.

Short of a loop flood not much can kill a GEM - even if your cell fails, everything is still ok, just do gem breaths after your last stop and have your deco plumbed into the gem and a 2nd on it so you can switch to it if the loop floods. It helps to calculate the lowest possible o2% you could experience on the loop and then make tables based off that with ppo2 amounts at given depths - this would allow you to know the ppo2 in the event of a cell failure.

Also don't do more deco then you can safely do on the gas you have on OC. That is - don't count on the gem to extend your deco gas - if your plan calls for al80 of deco gas - don't bring an al40 thinking you'll just use the gem to extend it. Bring an al80.

KISS GEM (modified)

Got it

Thanks all!

KISS GEM (modified)

So after attempting to mount everything up - using LP 46s, the scrubber doesn't fit.

Can you vend out the exterior bends a few degrees?

+ Reply to Thread