+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New or second hand Hollis Explorer?

RBW Member 2.reefrat is an unknown quantity at this point 2.reefrat's Avatar
    Pending

New or second hand Hollis Explorer?

Hi all
    I would have posted this in the SCR section but it appears to be more Drager focused and most Explorer discussion seems to be here instead!

The Hollis Explorer has had a number of upgrades over the last few years- mostly firmware and I have heard of some issues with batteries lately. I want as few design/ quality related issues as possible so my question is:
    Is it worth paying for a current new unit over a very clean used one that has apparently had firmware upgrades- given that the price difference will be about $1200 (including Co2 sensor)?

Cheers

RBW Member H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2 Instructor

Hollis Explorer Inst Trainer

Re: New or second hand Hollis Explorer?

You are going to want the new electronics/POD. I just received the final production piece and it is a marked improvement over the Gen 1 in every way. Look for these to ship very soon.-Eric

Quote Originally Posted by 2.reefrat  View Original Post
    Hi all
    I would have posted this in the SCR section but it appears to be more Drager focused and most Explorer discussion seems to be here instead!

The Hollis Explorer has had a number of upgrades over the last few years- mostly firmware and I have heard of some issues with batteries lately. I want as few design/ quality related issues as possible so my question is:
    Is it worth paying for a current new unit over a very clean used one that has apparently had firmware upgrades- given that the price difference will be about $1200 (including Co2 sensor)?

Cheers

Pending

Quote Originally Posted by H2Ocaver  View Original Post
    You are going to want the new electronics/POD. I just received the final production piece and it is a marked improvement over the Gen 1 in every way. Look for these to ship very soon.-Eric

I sent you a PM.
    I have now heard that the new POD uses P2 O2 sensors and also improved batteries to deal with previous battery issues, is this true? I suspect there is more and also I am wondering if I buy a new Explorer now will the factory upgrade me to the new POD when it becomes available in November?

Pending

OK, bought the new Explorer 2 with the BP/wing and love just about everything about it except the WOB! I have heard the WOB is not bad and seen many videos of happy smiling campers on the unit, but IMO it's pretty lousy, which was a great surprise to me!
    What gives!!! Well, I don't know how so many people profess to be satisfied with it but a little bit of digging revealed an interesting fact.
    There are NO other BMCL units on the market that are mounted on an off-the-shelf OC backplate. Look at the reVo, the new APD BMCL's, the Kiss Classic as examples- they all go to great lengths to keep the CL's as close as possible to the divers back, in most cases within half an inch. Now look at the Explorer, the OC BP plus a wing plus the unit frame position the CL's at least 2 1/2" from the divers back!
    It seems that Hollis went to great lengths with R&D on the unit internals and case then at the last minute threw it on an off the shelf OC BP to get it out there, I can't think of any other reason for doing it.
    It is a testament to the low resistive design of the loop that so many people find the WOB with this set up OK (the BCD version may be a better option than the wing) but I do not, and I am currently experimenting with low profile and flat BP options to bring the CL's within 1" of my back.

RBW Member H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2 Instructor

Hollis Explorer Inst Trainer

the work of breathing is fine, your settings and positioning are wrong, go back to your instructor and ask for help.

RBW Member mick4707 is an unknown quantity at this point mick4707's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

JJ lungs are mounted go a standard backplate and have excellent WOB

RBW Member DaleHawerchuck is an unknown quantity at this point DaleHawerchuck's Avatar
    HammerHead CCR

Quote Originally Posted by mick4707  View Original Post
    JJ lungs are mounted go a standard backplate and have excellent WOB
    Subgravity ones too... BMCLs should not be placed too far back if you want good WOB. I place mine just back of where TOS CLs would be placed.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Pending

"JJ lungs are mounted go a standard backplate and have excellent WOB"
    I am sure they do, they are also completely different and illustrate my point. The JJ CL's are positioned on top of the shoulders and down the back immediately behind the wings of the backplate so that there is only the thickness of the BP between the CL's and the divers back.

Imagine if you loosened the JJ shoulder straps in horizontal trim so that the unit was dangling more than 2 inches above and behind the diver, that's were the explorer CL's are and I think you would notice the difference in WOB!

H2OCaver- the instructor placed a lot of emphasis on correct trim and minimum loop volume (also minimum weighting), I was underweighted initially but did he was happy with my trim and I kept the loop at a level where the ADV fired if I took any sort of deeper breath. I found exhalation to be easy but inhalation to be a chore- not the sort of chore consistent with having fun which is what I purchased it for!
    In contrast the only FMCL's I have tried were a Meg and it breather just GREAT!

RBW Member asimpkinsjr is an unknown quantity at this point asimpkinsjr's Avatar
    Explorer

Has anyone dug deep into the electronics upgrade for the Gen 2? I got a quote for the upgrade but Im struggling to justify how its worth a 1300.00 upgrade? If anyone has done the upgrade Id love to hear first impressions, etc.

RBW Member ScubaJim09 is an unknown quantity at this point ScubaJim09's Avatar
    Hollis Explorer

$1300 does sound a bit steep. From looking at it, this is almost entirely a form change and not so much increased function. The computer operation and assembly will be basically the same, but you'll get better battery life, more reliable connections, and potentially a more rugged unit. I think it falls in the "nice to have" and not really the "need to have" category just yet. On the other hand, if they made the explorer work with a Shearwater... that's a whole different story :)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast