+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Training for in water recompression?

Thinker n Tinkerer Sparedone is an unknown quantity at this point Sparedone's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz

Bp240/bmr500, BG174

Training for in water recompression?

Hi all,

Controversial topic unfortunately. I'm looking for practical training for in water decompression. Anyone willing to teach or unofficially instruct?

http://rubicon-foundation.org/in-water-recompression/

Background: I'm diving 6 hours from a chamber in a best case scenario. A ripped drysuit or getting fished up potentially leaves me with unfulfilled deco obligations. Building a chamber and training a technician isn't feasible. So the contingency is in water. Or, simply don't dive as some have advised me.

Doomsday planning.

Regards,
    Cameron

Dive different. cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys's Avatar
    MK15.5, MK15, LARV

KISS Classic

Re: Training for in water recompression?

IANTD offers an academic in water recompression course.

Thinker n Tinkerer Sparedone is an unknown quantity at this point Sparedone's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz

Bp240/bmr500, BG174

Quote Originally Posted by cys  View Original Post
    IANTD offers an academic in water recompression course.
    Thank you for pointing me the right direction!
    Cameron

RBW Member Villain is an unknown quantity at this point Villain's Avatar
    rEvo III micro FT

Contact Don Shirley in South Africa. He does a course.

http://www.technicaldivingafrica.co.za/mo_courses.htm

PRISM Topaz

Bp240/bmr500, BG174

Quote Originally Posted by Villain  View Original Post
    Contact Don Shirley in South Africa. He does a course.

http://www.technicaldivingafrica.co.za/mo_courses.htm
    Perfect. Thank you for the recommendation. I will write him. And the chance for a new caves as well. Perhaps the dragon's breath in the coming years with the group I meet there.

Thanks again,
    Cameron

RBW Member Ocean Legends is an unknown quantity at this point Ocean Legends's Avatar
    Liberty CCR

Hollis Prism2, Meg, Flex,

Hey Cameron,

Stop by Hawaii and let's do some dives on your way to Africa!!! There are some cool lava tubes here we can explore!

Warm regards
    Darren
    CEO
    Ocean Legends

Roland Somodi rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver's Avatar
    Homebuilt(s)

Inspiration Classic

Back then when I started diving in the mid 90's I said that I would rather take my chances and go back in the water, than just wait on the boat knowing that I will either die or be paralized for the rest of my life. I was almost stoned for that statement. Now as you see training agencies started to go by the same belief, or it is the matter of just selling another course and making another dime?????? You surely need some support to make it happen such as (it's a partial list)

1. dive buddies who know what they are doing
    2. gases available (nitrox, pure O2)
    3. full face mask preferably with comms (in case you lose consciousness, at least you will not drown)
    4. preferably someone medically trained to make sure you get the treatment you need
    5. emergency plan in ahead of time(in other words, don't try to come up with a plan when s**t has hit the fan already)
    6. etc.

just my two cents worth.
    Very Respectfully

Roland Somodi

sent from my Commodore 64 using Wizard of War....

RBW Member HaisaiMatt is on a distinguished road HaisaiMatt is on a distinguished road HaisaiMatt's Avatar
    MK15.5, rEvo, Sentinel, LarV

Optima, MK15

Don Shirley was at the IANTD In-Water-Recompression Symposium that we had in San Diego, and would be a great resource for a course. All of the lectures from the symposium were recorded. It might be worth checking with IANTD to see if they have them available.

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg

Quote Originally Posted by HaisaiMatt  View Original Post
    Don Shirley was at the IANTD In-Water-Recompression Symposium that we had in San Diego, and would be a great resource for a course. All of the lectures from the symposium were recorded. It might be worth checking with IANTD to see if they have them available.
    Richard Pyle has published a few papers on his approach, Rubicon has them.

Just about anywhere on the Northwest Coast (WA or BC) except downtown Seattle and Whytecliff in Vancouver you're going to be further than 6hrs from a chamber. Shoot with only 1 chamber in FL treating divers you're going to be many hours away there too.

The resources you bring and throw at the problem are going to be proportional to the hit you're willing to treat (in water). At the most basic level getting back in the water or going back down to some modest depth on either your CCR or OC deco gases isn't rocket science. And at some level you won't be able to treat in water. Depending on the site you might at least use in-water treatment to get them stable enough for transport though.

Quote Originally Posted by rjack  View Original Post
    At the most basic level getting back in the water or going back down to some modest depth on either your CCR or OC deco gases isn't rocket science.
    I have sucessfully performed IWR. I did not have any comms, FFM, rebreathers, lines, tables or training. I never attended the IANTD certification course nor did I follow the Australian, USN, etc.. protocols.

I did stick divers who were showing signs of DCI back in the water at their request using air, Nitrox 50 and O2 on an abbreviated schedule. I basically monitored them and recompressed them.

They did a 220 foot air deco dive off Ship Rock near Catalina Island that went sideways.

There is no magic to IWR. Simply stay with them and do a deco schedule lengthening stops as you go until your gas runs out. I lengthened the 70 foot stop and moved them up as their Nitrox 50 bottle ran out then had them hang at 20 feet breathing O2 until they ran out on oxygen. I also had them pass around a surface O2 mask when they got back to the boat.

There is a lot of danger to IWR in general. It is a risky proposition and I don’t think taking a class changes that risk. Anyone who is injured is at risk when they decide to re-enter the water. Conventional diving medicine will tell you “Absolutely do not do this” for fear of lawsuits. I had guys that were willing to take the risks and accommodated their requests.

In my case, it worked very well. All returned to the boat asymptotic for DCI. The only risk we had was I had to jump into the water without a wetsuit and hang with them for 30 minutes until someone relieved me. I was shivering like crazy by the end of it.

You can pull off DCI pretty easily. A good plan and some top notch people go a long way versus gearing up with FFM, comms, RBs, etc..

BTW I would love to see a panicked diver with DCI putting on a band mask for the first time during IWR and be reinserted into the water without training! A cluster!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast