+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Pathfinder advice on off board dil set up.

RBW Member PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG's Avatar
    Meg

Fenzy PO68 Dolphin

Looking for Pathfinder advice on off board dil set up.

I have been diving a Meg for a few years but I would like to shed some weight for the carry on my dirt bag shore dives that make up most of my diving. I am considering getting a Pathfinder and using it with my existing loop.

ISC promotes the Pathfinder with only the O2 on board and the off board dil supplying everything.

I have not seen this in the wild. I have been out with a few Pathfinder divers, but they all rig them conventionally with dil and O2 onboard.

Has anyone on here tried this set up? Good, bad, horrible?

Thanks, Peter

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg

Re: Looking for Pathfinder advice on off board dil set up.

I ran my Meg this way in MOD1 and still do for cave diving cause I end up using lots of dil and want a large suit gas bottle but don't want to increase my profile (dil bottle turns into suit gas).

Its easy to plug in cylinders with a QC6 if you're at a beach and/or have bare hands standing up. Its not easy diving off a RIB this way where I hang all my bottles over the side. Getting in without a powered wing inflator is scary - which I why I eventually gave it up for local diving and went back to onboard dil feeding the ADV and wing.

You could easily use the cave can and offboard your dil. That's not going to be all that different than a pathfinder (except the electronics)

Banned CGOUGHN is an unknown quantity at this point CGOUGHN's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2

Poseidon MkVI

I had a diver come down a couple of months ago with a Pathfinder. He just ran the O2 bottle where it sits conventionally, a small weight on the DIL side to compensate, but actually ran everything off of the off board cylinder (BOV, loop and inflation). He did over a week of diving here in that configuration and it looked great. He would just swap his Meg15 head from his full size Meg at home and the Pathfinder when he traveled.

He wasn't diving deeper than about 45 meters with very minor deco.

RBW Member Nubium is an unknown quantity at this point Nubium's Avatar
    Liberty

Dolphin,Megalodon,rEvo

I dived with a guy that had both o2 and dil 7 litres in side mount config. Dil was his bailout too. the pathfinder was obviously super light like that. Im not saying how safe it seems to be with the dil being the bailout too but thats what he did.

RBW Member 3DzeroG is an unknown quantity at this point 3DzeroG's Avatar
    Pathfinder

I've done it for shallow dives < 40 m; 3-liter alu O2 mounted on the can, AL80 dil/bailout slung with a sidemount style bungee for better streamlining. About 15-20 dives maybe.

Pros: Obviously very light and travel friendly configuration; nice and streamlined in the water.

Cons: I haven't been able to find a satisfactory (to me), clean routing for the inflator and dil hose coming from the bailout 1st stage in my armpit. Connecting to the add dil valve from below and the wing inflator from above feels messy. Fiddling with those hoses while seated on a boat (or in-water during a shore entry) feels slower than setting up the whole unit and having it ready to roll on land. The fix for these issues would be to get a manifold I suppose, but I haven't tried that. Maybe I should.

On balance, I prefer a dedicated AL40 bailout and 3-liter alu dil/O2 tanks for a light configuration. Not that much of a difference in terms of weight, and a loose AL40 is much easier to handle on difficult shore entries (we do a lot of those on the Taiwan NE coast) than an AL80.

What I like to do to cut weight: A valves up configuration reduces hose length/packing volume and allows you to get rid of the stand. I find this config quite easy to trim out in both wetsuit and drysuit; it behaves pretty much exactly like an AL80 set of doubles in the water (while being considerably lighter on land).
    Last edited by 3DzeroG; 11th October 2017 at 10:40.

RBW Member Nubium is an unknown quantity at this point Nubium's Avatar
    Liberty

Dolphin,Megalodon,rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by Nubium  View Original Post
    I dived with a guy that had both o2 and dil 7 litres in side mount config. Dil was his bailout too. the pathfinder was obviously super light like that. Im not saying how safe it seems to be with the dil being the bailout too but thats what he did.

Also, He didn't use a wing, just drysuit.

RBW Member jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold's Avatar
    rEvo III Micro FT

Pelagian DCCCR

I tried onboard O2 only with my Pelagian.

I did however feed the wing-inflator with O2, as loss of diluent would leave me without good options for buoyancy, especially if you were descending.

Loss of O2 is no big deal, as you then just bail out, and orally inflate the wing

Loss of diluent is manageable, because you can maintain your PO2 back to the surface, and the wing is fed by O2.

It was an extremely light and streamlined setup, and I would recommend others to try it!

RBW Member JohnnyC is an unknown quantity at this point JohnnyC's Avatar

Could try going the other way, onboard dil with offboard O2.

2 3L's full of dil on the back, and O2 either slung or rigged like a drysuit inflation bottle. Not a lot of dil, but compact.

Think PSCR style. One post runs inflator and ADV, other runs drysuit and MAV, O2 on the plate runs to solenoid and O2 MAV. This is also your bailout, on your back, plumbed to BOV and a second stage.

To get a more realistic bailout, 2 lp50's on the back would get you similar amount of dil/bailout as slinging an AL80, and easier to carry since you're not actually slinging anything. Lola valves and manifolded and you don't even have to worry abotu swapping regs after bailout.

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg

I still run offboard dil for cave diving.

Onboard O2 on the right.
    Onboard air for suit gas on the left.
    Dil sourced from the sidemount cylinder on the left via a QC6.
    BOV comes from the left sidemount bottle but via a second QC6.
    Spare QC6 comes off the right hand sidemount cylinder.
    Spare BC inflator hose on the right hand cylinder for either suit or BC use in a pinch.

RBW Member Kristen24060 is on a distinguished road Kristen24060 is on a distinguished road Kristen24060's Avatar
    Pathfinder

For my recreational configuration, I run one onboard O2 cyl on right. I sidemount a AL40 or 80 on the left that connects to an onboard manifold via a QC6. The manifold feeds all my gas needs except for O2 - Dil, BOV, BC, Drysuit, etc. This is really light. I can pick up my pathfinder from the ground and sling it on my back unassisted. No need for a stand/bench to get dressed.

For technical, I add an onboard dill bottle that also connects to the manifold. I suppose that the manifold represents an increased risk of a single point of failure that could cause a bunch of problems. So I have strategically used check valves and shutoff valves to limit this and I tend to keep the offboard bailout tank valve closed. I also carry a spare set of hoses on the right side (or second left side if I am carrying one) bailout tank to reconnect to the important lost functions if the manifold or hose attached to it fails. This seems to work OK, except I probably need a suit inflation bottle somewhere. If I am using trimix, in really cold water, connecting my rich deco gas (with no helium) to my drysuit works OK, but also increases risk a bit as I have to leave that tank valve open for at least some of the dive....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast